Funster at Brora CC....but in a caravan (1 Viewer)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I'm not sure if it was a funster but as we were leaving this morning I saw a caravan with 2 flags blowing in the wind, and one was a big smiling yellow face.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Love that site but got attacked by the Turns on the beach a few years ago! ( they were nesting in the dunes ,and even though we heeded the notices and were at least 50 metres away they weren't happy!!)

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Love that site but got attacked by the Turns on the beach a few years ago! ( they were nesting in the dunes ,and even though we heeded the notices and were at least 50 metres away they weren't happy!!)

Yes they're nesting there at the moment so you only have a 200m stretch of beach we could use with the hounds, fortunately didn't get attacked though, and didn't get hit with a golf ball either :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
love the site / location, walking over a golf course in England with your dog would get so much abuse, up there it is just the norm, a good few golfers have dogs in tow, when we were last there a flock of exhausted Fulmers came in on the dunes, sad to see, but most of them were gone the next day

cant help with the flag, but a smiley flag could be a red herring (y)

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
love the site / location, walking over a golf course in England with your dog would get so much abuse, up there it is just the norm, a good few golfers have dogs in tow, when we were last there a flock of exhausted Fulmers came in on the dunes, sad to see, but most of them were gone the next day

cant help with the flag, but a smiley flag could be a red herring (y)

Yes I've just checked about getting a sticker for the van and noticed the flags Jim sells are not smiley faces so it looks like I should've done some research :D
It seems to be set up for tourists in Scotland, plenty of lay-bys with information boards, no issues with parking and the locals are so friendly, I think we could learn a lot from them

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Dave K not sure where you are on your travels, but if you are still heading north, get ready it keeps getting better, especially when you head west. If you can find the time and extra cash to get out to the western isles, you really will not regret the time and effort :):)(y)(y)

(this applies to you too Griff @Popeye) (y)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Thanks Dave we have just spent the evening with a couple who have told us exactly what we need to know and it is as you say.......thanks again David.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
@Dave K not sure where you are on your travels, but if you are still heading north, get ready it keeps getting better, especially when you head west. If you can find the time and extra cash to get out to the western isles, you really will not regret the time and effort :):)(y)(y)

(this applies to you too Griff @Popeye) (y)

We're just coming to the end David, we've done the west coast, Skye, all along the coast to Chanonry Point and today we travelled along Loch Ness to Fort William, I'm gutted to have not seen an Orca Whale, unlikely I know, even a dolphin would've done :)
We've had a fabulous time and the scenery has been fantastic, particularly on the West side, we're already thinking about our return trip next year

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
many years ago we had an amazing family boat trip from Arisaig, they promised seals which 20 years ago would have done, we set off saw seals in the first 30m :):), heading for Fingals Cave then Rum (island not just a drinking hole) about half way the 'captain' suddenly killed the engines and pointed about 100m away, we then saw our first ever whale, a Minke which proceeded to pass right under our boat, The whale was about 5' longer than out boat, a truly amazing trip

To level that though, we were dropped off to view Fingals cave from land and were engulfed in the biggest cloud of midges I have ever seen, we could see them from the boat, but were too naïve not to land o_O

the midges can be avoided the scenery makes up for it so many times over :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We're just coming to the end David, we've done the west coast, Skye, all along the coast to Chanonry Point and today we travelled along Loch Ness to Fort William, I'm gutted to have not seen an Orca Whale, unlikely I know, even a dolphin would've done :)
We've had a fabulous time and the scenery has been fantastic, particularly on the West side, we're already thinking about our return trip next year

that is a shame, we have been there three times and had a decent show every time

plan your next trip to include the western isles, if you think Skye is nice, Harris is 10x as good (y)

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
many years ago we had an amazing family boat trip from Arisaig, they promised seals which 20 years ago would have done, we set off saw seals in the first 30m :):), heading for Fingals Cave then Rum (island not ust a drinking hole) about half way the 'captain' suddenly killed the engines and pointed about 100m away, we hen saw our first ever whale, a Minke which proceeded to pass right under our boat, The whale was about 5' longer than out boat, a truly amazing trip

To level that though, we were dropped off to view Fingals cave from land and were engulfed in the biggest cloud of midges I have ever seen, we could see them from the boat, but were too naïve not to land o_O

the midges can be avoided the scenery makes up for it so many times over :)

Sounds amazing.
When we visited Skye we went to Skyeskyns and did the little tour and bought a few things, I was speaking to the lady who showed us around about how we'd love to see whales/ dolphins etc, she said that she had recently been walking along the coast with her daughter and first of all saw a Minke whale close to the coastline, then saw a pod of dolphins and then a pod of orca whales, all in the same afternoon stroll, we marched up and down that spot for a couple of hours and didn't see anything, typical :D.
I've also discovered that however much smidge I wear I still have the Lynx effect on midges, at the moment I'm wearing well over 40 bites, whereas the other half has less than 5, talk about taking one for the team

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
not seen Orca yet though myself, bit of a long shot maybe

After doing a bit of research on google while away apparently there is a pod of 10 Orca whales that roam the western side, that's without the ones that come in time for the seal pups.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back