'Funny' icon... strange usage? (1 Viewer)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
A few times I've noticed that people respond to posts with the 'funny' icon when the post is absolutely not funny. Anyone know why is this?
I have done this a couple of times in error and felt awful but been notified by other vigilant Funsters , for which I’m thankful .
Maybe fat finger syndrome or scrolling on my I pad.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Peoples perception of the word 'Funny' is wide ranging.
Funny Ha Ha
Funny peculiar
Funny weird
To name but three.

As they are fond of saying back home, "There's nowt so funny as folk" or Alternatively, "There's nowt so queer as folk".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, I know what you mean Emmit but the posts I've noticed are not funny at all in any possible way.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm probably guilty of doing this. :) Someone posted something really grumpy just the other day so I gave it a funny. It wasn't even remotely of course, more sad than anything else but I had no interest in arguing the toss. So I just laughed. :)

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
On other Forums & here if someone has say, a rant about something which is seen as petty the funny icon will be used (sarcasm) the same as using the informative icon for a joke you don't find funny (y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Yes, I know what you mean Emmit but the posts I've noticed are not funny at all in any possible way.
I'm another one that suffers with fat finger syndrome and have probably clicked an inappropriate smilie a few times, I do try & remember to check.

I know on the the morning thread a post could cover several subjects, one of which may be a funny incident/comment.

I don't think anyone would do it to offend.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I'm another one that suffers with fat finger syndrome and have probably clicked an inappropriate smilie a few times, I do try & remember to check.

I know on the the morning thread a post could cover several subjects, one of which may be a funny incident/comment.

I don't think anyone would do it to offend.
You saved me!! Thanks Debs!!(y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
You saved me!! Thanks Debs!!(y)
Now you see Anthea, I would have given you a funny but that's because I know you & you would know how it was meant.:LOL:......perhaps thats some if it too...who knows?:nerd:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Some posts make me laugh out loud in the sense of "Can they seriously be thinking that?!" even if they're not supposed to be funny, so I occasionally reward them accordingly. Not very often though. It's quite possible that others do the same to my posts.

If I didn't laugh I'd cry, and we don't have a cry icon :)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Peoples perception of the word 'Funny' is wide ranging.
Funny peculiar
Funny weird
As they are fond of saying back home, "There's nowt so funny as folk" or Alternatively, "There's nowt so queer as folk".
I've used it a few times because of this.. I find those giant motorhomes absolutely hilarious..

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
"OH" !!!!!!!!!!!! Now I know... :(

Don`t read my bloody jokes then,,,,, your getting as bad as bloody @SuperMike and his Informative smileys.. :winky: :giggler:
I've never used an Informative icon on any of your jokes @old-mo (y) I'd rather see good & bad jokes than a bickering thread any day;)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
May I please state again that I adapted and use the Informative tick to mean, “should be taken out and shot “, but only in the context of a supposedly funny Very @old-mo TypeFellas, cough, cough, jokes. Simply because any of the other ones available would be wrong. :)

On every other occasion, informative means informative, I think. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I've used it a few times because of this.. I find those giant motorhomes absolutely hilarious..

Yes, I have to admit, yours was one of the most recent 'funny' that had me questioning its use. Wouldn't it be better to just ignore the posts showcasing vehicles you don't like?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Yes, I have to admit, yours was one of the most recent 'funny' that had me questioning its use. Wouldn't it be better to just ignore the posts showcasing vehicles you don't like?
Not saying I don't like them... but I do find them funny.

Besides, the Idea of forums is to illicit comments, surely..

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Why funny? It's someone's dream motorhome - not to your taste obviously but hey, each to their own.

I think comments are great but personally I feel it off putting if someone just posts a random 'funny' giving no explanation or reason.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I accidentally click on the icons regularly when scrolling on my iPad, sometimes I notice and remove it. I must have left quite a lot that I didn’t notice and probably for some of them they don’t really fit the post content.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back