Functional Design Roof Spoiler (1 Viewer)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
After research, I've ordered and received a roof spoiler, additional Heki seal and mounting kit from Functional Design in Germany for my 600L Revolution, to try and cut excess wind noise from the front roof vent.

This is specially for the H3 chassis variant that is used for the Revolution models, but other spoilers are made for the standard height H2 Chassis.

Heki seal -

First impressions are very positive.
They do factory paint in Silver (which suits me great as Tess is silver) white and black and have started doing waterprinted carbon look this year too.
Photos and review to follow during / after installation :)

I also ordered their CNC Heki locks

4298AF01-A1D5-48A3-807F-E9680F4AD6B4.jpeg

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What price are they - I can't find details on the website (although I don't speak German!)?

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
The entire package (spoiler, fitting kit, Heki seal and Heki locks) was £280 delivered
Price list here

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Gerry
That could be tempting
Let us know how it goes with the photos if you can.
Our Heki already has the seal so its not bad but there is still sometimes some wind noise
Friend has Hobby which came without the seal and it had a lot of noise before he fitted seal

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Colour match looks good (y)
Let us know how the test drive goes

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Colour match looks good (y)
Let us know how the test drive goes
The colour match for the silver is perfect.
I gave the adhesive 24hrs to cure and went out for a drive on the motorway this evening. It is a lot quieter at 70mph and above and it was still attached to the roof when I got home! :)
Fit was a bit of a pain... I used a fine permanent marker to dry fit the spoiler position and Mark it so I could then mask off the roof to keep the adhesive neat.
You have to position the spoiler close to the heki in the full open position (maybe 3-5mm) as the vent it is closest to the spoiler when fully open.
I think the position of the roof vent must vary slightly between vans / manufacturers as the spoiler 'legs' could have done being a bit longer as they just reached the high ridge...but they did. Phew!

The adhesive is messy stuff, so you need lots of clean gloves and kitchen roll to keep things tidy and clean...

I was a bit disappointed the spoiler fit around the adhesive bead wasn't great.... Perhaps it was to do with the position of the heki on the roof... So I needed more adhesive on the sides to fill in the gap than I would have liked.... But it is solid.

I'd give it 8/10... Points being deducted because of a slighty neat fit on the rear most legs and the profiling of the lower surface on the sides... But now it is on I'm happy :)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I fitted a Fiamma one a few years ago, seems to work okay and a lot cheaper although I did have to spray it silver. You can just about see it.
774D9748-DE77-42EA-9FD2-67B974CC2C5B.jpeg

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I fitted a Fiamma/QUOTE]

I did consider the Fiamma one but Globecar use a custom filler/ spacer between the roof and skylight rather than lots of sealer.
Its a better finish but the skylight sits a bit higher
After seeing Gerry's pics I like the look though with the extra high roof Im probably the only person that will ever look or care

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Looking at the pictures of the posh one it looks quite shallow compared to the Fiamma one.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Got our spoiler on and tested
Agree with Gerry its got the potential to get messy, lots of masking tape gloves, wipes and paper towel
I did sand the front edge down a bit to have a smaller gap at the corners
The overall quality of the moulding and paint finish was good.
Re road test much less wind noise.
Only issue now I can hear wind noise from the door mirrors:) had no idea there was wind noise from them

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Only issue now I can hear wind noise from the door mirrors:) had no idea there was wind noise from them

HAHAHA! :) I noticed this too! :) damn whistling wing mirrors! I don't know if mine whistle because of the Mirrorguard covers or if they all do it!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We fitted our solar panel directly behind the roof window so it doesn't add another wind catcher to the roof

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Other thing for list of things needed for fitting was two sets of decent steps
I have one set and borrowed a second set
I cant vouch for the Fiamma one but if I ever end up with an other van I would go for the Functional Design one again despite the price tag
Re the mirrors we don't have the protectors and are getting the noise
Was never able to hear it before and I didn't think the noise was that bad from the skylight compared to other vans I have been in.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
A further update
When fitting I dry fitted and tested with the tape provided all ok
The fitted with the mastic again when tested all ok wind noise gone
I then fitted the extra gasket and clamps again when out for a run all quiet
This weekend when out for a trip we were getting a whistle between about 55 and 65
On return home and after a bit of head scratching I remembered after the last road test I had used doubles sided tape to hold the extra gasket in place and had not tested after.
Anyway a check when we got home the tape was not holding the gasket correctly at one point
After re positioning things and an other road test all is well again:)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
@gerry mcg

How have you got on with the Functional Design CNC Heki locks ?

We were away at the Dumfries meet a couple of weeks ago and on the journey there and back our Heki rooflight un-latched itself half a dozen times or more, so I'm looking around for a method of locking it down.

If you recon they do the job then I'll give them a try.

Next question, how did you go about ordering from Functional Design ?

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
@gerry mcg

How have you got on with the Functional Design CNC Heki locks ?

We were away at the Dumfries meet a couple of weeks ago and on the journey there and back our Heki rooflight un-latched itself half a dozen times or more, so I'm looking around for a method of locking it down.

If you recon they do the job then I'll give them a try.

Next question, how did you go about ordering from Functional Design ?
the heki locks seem to do the job.. no complaints, the front hatch has never popped open (but it hasn't before i fitted them) and easy enough to fit and use.
re ordering, i emailed them saying what i wanted, they prepared a pro-forma invoice for the order and I paid via Paypal before they sent the order- pretty straightforward and typical Germanic efficiency :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back