Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
No idea. MH still at the garage

Don't blame you for feeling very very p.....d off. Hope you get your motorhome back okay.
A single female friend from a few years ago was minted but dressed for comfort. She went to purchase a car, yes it would have been a cash purchase but the egotistical male chauvinist car sales person thought she couldn't afford the cars in his showroom so was patronizing to the N'th degree.
Mandy went down the road got a great deal from a very nice sales person who didn't prejudge, she couldn't resist going back to salesman A and explaining what could have been in £'s commission.
So hope the people you see tomorrow don't underestimate you
Steve

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Tell them to take their overpriced kit out, and remove your business elsewhere. A quote is a quote. Tango Sierra if they munched the quote up.
Would you swallow this sort of thing say in Sainsburys?? Of coarse you wouldn't, so don't take it from this turkey and his chicken farm firm. If your not sure just where you stand, pop into the Citizens Advice in the morning, or better still, phone Trading Standards at your local town hall. They love people like this guy... :thumb:

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
your kiddin i bought the mirror

that fits on your original morror and the twoway quality set at the ssec motorhome show as well ,, im fitting it my self, ok once i fix my bimper and my bearings and back wheel and then wire up my solar and then fit the cables to my sat system etc etc all this week coming,, and then i would have fitted yours for free if you brought it over tio my drive way, i have a massive gaage with everything we need simplzzz.. shame who was it that charged you they should be named,, are u saying that included the camera price plus labour then plus vat?? because these guys should know by now how much work is involved pn each motorhome there all similer ?? please do tell:Angry:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
that fits on your original morror and the twoway quality set at the ssec motorhome show as well ,, im fitting it my self, ok once i fix my bimper and my bearings and back wheel and then wire up my solar and then fit the cables to my sat system etc etc all this week coming,, and then i would have fitted yours for free if you brought it over tio my drive way, i have a massive gaage with everything we need simplzzz.. shame who was it that charged you they should be named,, are u saying that included the camera price plus labour then plus vat?? because these guys should know by now how much work is involved pn each motorhome there all similer ?? please do tell:Angry:.

The camera cost 170 the rest is labour and vat on the labour. That was very kind of you to offer to have fitted it. Will come to you for a cheaper rate for things in future.

Still so angry I can't get to sleep

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
speak to the local trading standards officer and let him listen to the telephone conversation.

Suggest the Trading Standards Officer goes with you when you collect your motorhome. They can then witness whatever happens and look at both sides of the events.

What large companies forget to remember is it only takes a few disgruntled customers and a lot of bad press to lose a great deal of business.

If they dont need your business suggest they dont need to charge you at all (in a loud voice when there are lots of customers present)

Good luck with it, let us know the final outcome xxxxx

mapa

Free Member
Sep 16, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Just going off thread a bit, what is the name of the app that you have that records messages, I've been after sometghung like that for ages ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just going off thread a bit, what is the name of the app that you have that records messages, I've been after sometghung like that for ages ::bigsmile:

Its called automatic call recorder. Icon is a filled red circle with green handset in the middle. We are in the garage now..

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its called automatic call recorder. Icon is a filled red circle with green handset in the middle. We are in the garage now..

Record all you like, I don't believe you can use it, or give it to a third party without the callers consent:RollEyes:
To do so may be a criminal act :Doh:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Some good advice here about quotes here.

Off topic a bit, but what would happen if an unforeseen problem arose? Such as a seized or broken bolt. Could they charge more?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Record all you like, I don't believe you can use it, or give it to a third party without the callers consent:RollEyes:
To do so may be a criminal act :Doh:

So:

*Ring Ring*......"Hello?"....

"You don't know me, but I'm WATCHING you all the time, and I'm going to KILL YOU......He He........Oh, and you cant play this to ANYBODY, without my consent, not even the POLICE, because to do so may be a criminal act.....Goodbye...FOR NOW...He He.*click*. :winky:

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We are now home with the MH. Apparently the bill should've been a total of £447 but they were willing to take a hit and make it £400 as THE QUOTE I gave you was too low, I underestimated the hours involved...5.5hrs

I pointed out that wasn't my fault nor were we willing to pay the extra. In the end we got it for the £330....Just goes to show when you stick to your guns.

Thanks for all the help and replies.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
GREAT RESULT!!!

However, I don't think that I would ever go there again............:Angry:

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
We are now home with the MH. Apparently the bill should've been a total of £447 but they were willing to take a hit and make it £400 as THE QUOTE I gave you was too low, I underestimated the hours involved...5.5hrs

I pointed out that wasn't my fault nor were we willing to pay the extra. In the end we got it for the £330....Just goes to show when you stick to your guns.

Thanks for all the help and replies.

Kinda well done some peoples weeks wages for im assuming would take 3hours
maybe 4 at the most,, il see how long it takes me, however il be wiring up the rest of my gear at the same time ,, anything you need in the future give me a shout as a said my garage has everything possible that you need to repair or wire up or fix mechanical. just bring an old carpet or the wife will go mental if her monoblock driveway gets marked,,,, :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If h'ed quoted you you £350 and when you got there he said it was only £250 cos it took less time than we thought, how much effort would have gone into forcing the £350 into his mits:Eeek:
I feel sure you will need the services of another company long before they will need your custom
There must be a dozen or more traders taking note of all your your varying attitudes and slating off thas taken place on here
This matter could have been sorted to the benefit of all concerned without the which hunt:Doh:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
it's a very small amount for such a big fuss:wooo: as geo has sad watt's the the witch hunt about if it was a extra £300 it might have been worth the bother just go somewhere deferent next time
go have a pint and chill
bill

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I am amazed at some of the replies on here," it`s only a small amount, "all of us have not got open ended pockets, and the extra is just as much as important to the customer if the firm did this to all customers, by the end of the year they have got extra thousands of pounds, a nice little money earner, are you telling me that all those that said just pay, would you pay over the odds for anything? , my experience of folk with money they are very careful how they spend and wouldn`t dream of paying over the top, that is why they are rich.,

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
it's a very small amount for such a big fuss:wooo: as geo has sad watt's the the witch hunt about if it was a extra £300 it might have been worth the bother just go somewhere deferent next time
go have a pint and chill
bill

I hardly think its a witch hunt and it may be a small amount to you, maybe your better off than us and can easily discard an extra £70. Each to their own!

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
It's not just about the money, it's also about the principle. :Angry:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
To balance this thread, about 18 months ago, I had my M/H resealed at UK Campers Lincoln, They gave me a price ISTR it was £600, not sure if it was a quote or an estimate but when I came to pay the bill it was around £540, they told me it hadnt taken as long as they thought it would.

What a plesant suprise

so swings and roundabouts come to mind:thumb:

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
All the work I have had done over the past 50 years on 30 odd cars and motor caravans have been carried out following quotes given by word of mouth and honoured as such. There have been two occasions quite recently where two major dealers misquoted for work to be done. The first was for an interim service quoted at £240 on a Volvo 850se were a major service was carried out billing me at £430. On collecting the vehicle the invoice was amended to the agreed quoted price. The second instance three months ago concerned a quote for a replacement timing belt on a Tucson at £212 that should have been quoted at £400plus. The garage contacted me prior to the work being done and said that the original price quoted would stand.
In this day and age it is so refreshing to find that there still exists a code of honor based on a verbal quote and I will give these guys my business gladly. It appears that there are sharks about who are totally and in some cases intentionally incompetent when providing quotes and I would personally agree that gender does play a part in attracting differing quotes.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
In this day and age it is so refreshing to find that there still exists a code of honor based on a verbal quote and I will give these guys my business gladly.
But sometimes verbal quotes aren't worth the paper they're not written on

:winky:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
So many times the trader is the 'bad guy'

Never mind the customer who comes back years later quoting the Sale of Goods Act or threatening Trading Standards knowing that the trader will give in - both unjustified in most cases....................but get what they want...................

Most small 'independent' businesses do their best - sometimes better than some of their customers deserve:hardhat:

I have been tempted sometimes to ask customers for references.......

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
At the end of the day the company agreed to the original quote so as Geo says, why all the fuss, they kept their word.

Peter

Yes kept their word only after I strongly complained. So it would seem the people that think ive made a fuss doesn't regard £70 as much money. Well if your mother still went out and worked several hours to earn the money at 73year old you might not be so quick to judge.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
irnbru, don't take other people's comments to heart - it is very easy for some to say that it wasn't much money, but regardless of your financial circumstances, and whether it was a lot, or a little, amount, the fact was that you were quoted a price and that's what it should have been WITHOUT you then being made to feel that you were a mere 'pleb', and caused the worry that you would have to find the extra money.

I'm pleased that you've got a good outcome and hope you won't go near that company again. It may be that they have 'stood' the extra charge for the labour, but there will be times when they will benefit from 'over quoting' and still charging when they haven't had to spend as much time on something, and I be they DO NOT tell the customer then!

If I was having something done and was given a quote, I would regard anything over and above that as 'their problem', not mine, the same as if I quoted a price for doing some work for someone, I would stand by it. :Smile:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
As the garage is a funster, the question of repeat business is probably academic as I doubt that they would undertake any additional work for the OP.

Personally I think that the posts title, a little over reaction, given that she was unaware of the outcome.

Perhaps sometimes, posts should be made after the business has been transacted. This would avoid lots of helpful. But inaccurate "advice" posts and howls for name and shame, when sometimes there is no "shame" or blame.

Personally these are the type of posts that I like the least on Fun. Only one side of the story, no name, so an inability to form an opinion influenced on reputation ( if I read that Gazza had been found drunk, I wouldn't question it, but if I was told that the pope was pissed I'd want to question the source for example).

These posts also tend to polarise members, who then take "sides" with sometimes the OP left feeling upset.

This is Motorhome FUN after all:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hmm..
Well now we know who the rich buggers are who can write off the odd £70 here and there..

I know who to tap up at the next meet !! :thumb::winky:

Def totally useless fitters.. I would check VERY carefully all the work they have carried out.

Almost 6 hours to fit a reversing camera ? Joke....................

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back