Fully winterised (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So, we have a 'fully winterised' MH whatever that means, so as a norm we do not drain anything, particularly when it is going out again this month

We also have the convenience of keeping MH at home with mains power available and connected, I then leave the heating on with a temperature setting of around 10C

That would be fine if I had not forgotten I reset all my DC last week, which includes the controller

Popped over to MH this morning to see how warm it was, 2C outside 2C inside :Eeek:

Had been colder overnight, now hope all is OK, heating back on, will see what is leaking this afternoon

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David

It will be OK, if it's going to be freezing a little heat will save you draining down otherwise you don't need any heat on at all, if you have a screen for the front put it on as that will keep a lot of heat in and stop any condensation.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
As I said in the other post, about freezing .
Ours is fully winterised to. Thicker walls floors onboard tanks etc.
It's got down to -10 inside , same as outside after leaving it over a cold spell a couple of weeks. Being winterised just takes longer to get down to that point .
A coke can left it the open fridge had exploded in the veg box cracking the plastic. But at least it didn't squirt everywhere. Another can had blown the bottom outwards , from curved inwards to a dome !
Since then , we've got into the habit of draining down all the water , as well as opening all the cupboards etc. We don't leave cans in the garage over the winter months either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
2 deg C in our van as well this morning when I went to check the battery levels. I do drain down and open cupboards at this time of year though. Only had a quick look round but all seems OK.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Was 19 degrees in mine this morning:D

But then we do live in it ;)

All done on electric - 2 rads and a fan heater(y)

And of course - it's a Burstner

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But then we do live in it ;)
That's the point isn't it? The standards assume occupation and a certain level of heat being used.

When we first had the Autoquest we used to leave a small oil-filled radiator on overnight to keep the temperature above freezing (our van is parked on the drive so we have an accessible hook-up socket). We then wondered whether it was really necessary so decided that we would use no heat the next winter. That turned out to be the winter of 2010/11 when we had the worst winter for years at home, with more snow than normal and for longer than normal. We experienced no problems so haven't used winter heat, when the vehicle is just parked up, since then.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Other that draining down ( and you have to be REALLY careful you get all the water out of the thermostatic shower mixer tap ) we do nothing at all..

This year for one reason or other, the van has not moved since mid October and will not now roll a wheel until Mid january

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well I will be filling my van up with water tomorrow ready for the weekend (y)I NORMALLY bring the soft furnishings into the house but this yr the room is full of stuff to make a van with so it may not leave much room -Never had a problem over the last 8 yrs so don't think there will be one this yr -Apart from draining down don't do anything
terry

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Another can had blown the bottom outwards , from curved inwards to a dome.

Designed like that top and bottom to allow expansion. Cool eh, no pun intended :D

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
As I said in the other post, about freezing .
Ours is fully winterised to. Thicker walls floors onboard tanks etc.
It's got down to -10 inside , same as outside after leaving it over a cold spell a couple of weeks. Being winterised just takes longer to get down to that point .
A coke can left it the open fridge had exploded in the veg box cracking the plastic. But at least it didn't squirt everywhere. Another can had blown the bottom outwards , from curved inwards to a dome !
Since then , we've got into the habit of draining down all the water , as well as opening all the cupboards etc. We don't leave cans in the garage over the winter months either.

Know how to stop the exploding coke can problem ! Replace them with cans of beer, when I was working in Canada we left cans of beer out at -20c and none of them ever popped !! A bit too cold to drink tho.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
auto water valve will dump water in heating unit when it gets to 7c i believe. Will also if power off. i try to keep around 10/15c then warms up quicker. i like it to be 17c at night when in bed and 20/22 when iam sat down with pc/tv

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
auto water valve will dump water in heating unit when it gets to 7c i believe. Will also if power off. i try to keep around 10/15c then warms up quicker. i like it to be 17c at night when in bed and 20/22 when iam sat down with pc/tv

we have the Alde heating on ours Steve, doesn't have the auto dump, which maybe a good thing, our last MH had to have peg on the valve to keep it closed

agree with your temps though, just like ours (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back