Fully winterised - I dont think so (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am currently on the CC site at Grantown on Spey, at 08:00 this morning it was -9C it is now -10C

Everything was fine till I went to the loo, internal temperature quite happily sitting just above 20c, it dipped a bit when I turned heating off to boil kettle

But I have no flush water, mine is fed directly off the cold storage tank

So been out to check, we have a standard Thetford type door to access the toilet mechanism, cant believe how warm it is in there, hot water pipes from Alde run through the compartment, so no idea where it is frozen, although I presume it is

I am not too sure where the pump is, loks like it might be in this compartment, but this is a problem of being on your own, cant press button and be outside to listen.

Not forecast to get much warmer, but have simple solution, that has in turn highlighted something

Sink in loo is working fine on hot and cold, so used coffee mug to fill loo for flushing (we have a macerator not a slide valve, so it needs water) filled to level we normally would, takes 4 mugs, no wonder we have to empty the loo so often when away together

Have to hope that when it thaws no harm is done

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
David, was that Bev's coffee mug;)

As for the loo, ours runs off the cold storage tank also but uses the same pump as the taps etc so if yours is the same it might be a pipe that has got a bit cold but would have thought that everything would be inside being a Hymer and all that(n)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
On my van the toilet does not have a pump just a switch that turns on the pump in the main water tank. All my water pipes are inside the van. Only the waste water tank is outside.

Try depressing the toilet with a tap running. It could be a fuse in the line blown.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
On my van the toilet does not have a pump just a switch that turns on the pump in the main water tank. All my water pipes are inside the van. Only the waste water tank is outside.

Try depressing the toilet with a tap running. It could be a fuse in the line blown.

Thanks John, good idea, our cold tank is also inside so that cant be the issue as all the pipes are inside

Tried the button with another tap running, not that, but I do now know the toilet uses a different pump behind the toilet somewhere I can hear that running, bit of a mystery still, but seems more than a coincidence that it is so cold outside could be a complete red herring (been there a few times before)

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I think the toilet has a solenoid valve which operates when the flush button is pressed and lets the fresh water in the pump runs to top the line pressure up

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
(y)
David, was that Bev's coffee mug;)

As for the loo, ours runs off the cold storage tank also but uses the same pump as the taps etc so if yours is the same it might be a pipe that has got a bit cold but would have thought that everything would be inside being a Hymer and all that(n)

Thanks for that Martin, I am only adding cold water from the tap :D

Other comments replied to as above (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
David, is the mascerator pump outside
I think the toilet has a solenoid valve which operates when the flush button is pressed and lets the fresh water in the pump runs to top the line pressure up

That would be as long as it a pressurised system which I would guess it is, but would rule out anything being frozen as David says its toasty warm inside the loo door area.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Thanks hchris

I don't do technical at all, but have had a look, it is not easy to see as the access is not ideal, but there does seem to be some kind of valve in the pipe work, but I also think I have a separate pump for the flush, I can hear something running when I press the button

Am going to go out now, the sun will be on that side of the MH this afternoon for what it is worth, will hope it is all self healed by the time I get back (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David, is the mascerator pump outside

That would be as long as it a pressurised system which I would guess it is, but would rule out anything being frozen as David says its toasty warm inside the loo door area.

Macerator is inside, right under the loo, that is working fine

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Hi, we have a less-posh Hymer Exsis & no water through taps or to flush loo this morning=panic.

Our cold water tank is inside & I had a look-could here the pump & we've had an air-lock in the pipes before. Unscrewed the blue cap on the tank & the one that the vertical pipes are fastened to.

Miracle-tried taps in loo & kitchen & after a bit of spluttering-running water.

I'm totally non-technical & rely on ritual & prayer (!!!) so apologies if this is a fat lot of use.

Good luck,

Relieved Roger

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi, we have a less-posh Hymer Exsis & no water through taps or to flush loo this morning=panic.

Our cold water tank is inside & I had a look-could here the pump & we've had an air-lock in the pipes before. Unscrewed the blue cap on the tank & the one that the vertical pipes are fastened to.

Miracle-tried taps in loo & kitchen & after a bit of spluttering-running water.

I'm totally non-technical & rely on ritual & prayer (!!!) so apologies if this is a fat lot of use.

Good luck,

Relieved Roger

Thanks Roger, the very fact that you have gone as far as undoing something puts you a league ahead of me technically

I am delighted for you that yours is sorted, having no water at all would be a bigger crisis for me, but even then I am on a site with access to all I need

I am still hoping for a genuine miracle and self healing :D(y)

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
I believe that sometimes there is a one way valve that is in line and this may be located by hatch door which may be the problem. lets us know what happens when temp outside rises. good luck dont panic.(y)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
David, as you've found a way to use the loo, I wouldn't worry too much, as it may sort itself out when you drive south to warmer climes.

Good luck.

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
To show how non-technical I am I also opened the little black knob on top then when I went to fill the kettle noticed running water underneath the van! Panic-freeze & burst ???

Then realised that the black knob is to drain the fresh water so nipped back & tightened it up again! Still have 25% left so OK.

Hope you get your miracle :):D:LOL:

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Roger
The non return valve went on our Hymer Exsis i578 whilst in Germany in Oct. Fixed by ESSANJAY in Poole. The effect was that the boiler was self emptying back into fresh tank. This was a first for me so I thought an experience worth sharing

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Well as I guess was pretty much a given, it would appear the flush pipe work must have been frozen

Disappointing, have had heating on permanently set at 21C, it has run pretty much constantly as well and as I put in OP, the external compartment where most of the pipes are seemed to be warmer than inside MH

Anyway all resolved, when home and a bit warmer will look to lag the pipe, or at least get it lagged :)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Can't help you with the water, lovely site your on though if you haven't done it already take a walk up the hill to the big cabins what a view .

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Can't help you with the water, lovely site your on though if you haven't done it already take a walk up the hill to the big cabins what a view .

Did that yesterday, went further than planned

IMG_0253.JPG

But you are right a lovely location

Another great thing today, the site have sent their little tractor with snow plough right the way down from site to town centre completely clearing the pathway, nice touch

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Has the boiler self dumped If so I understand that has to fill 1st before anything else will

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Has the boiler self dumped If so I understand that has to fill 1st before anything else will

Well as I guess was pretty much a given, it would appear the flush pipe work must have been frozen

Disappointing, have had heating on permanently set at 21C, it has run pretty much constantly as well and as I put in OP, the external compartment where most of the pipes are seemed to be warmer than inside MH

Anyway all resolved, when home and a bit warmer will look to lag the pipe, or at least get it lagged :)

All sorted now thanks, I have the Alde system so no auto dump luckily, seems like a bit of pipework somewhere is just a little too exposed to the -10C we had this morning, despite heating on all night

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
That's pretty poor for the Germans!

The pipe might just need moving away from touching an outside wall.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
All sorted now thanks, I have the Alde system so no auto dump luckily, seems like a bit of pipework somewhere is just a little too exposed to the -10C we had this morning, despite heating on all night

Ooo err naughty Mr Hymer, that shouldn't happen, even our old caravan worked at -10 though it was a bit cold in bed when we came back at 11pm and found the electric element on the carver had blown and it was -1 inside, that was when Jen decided we were moving back into the house even if the builders were still there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back