Fully Synthetic oil (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
While I'm off over Christmas, I'd like to give my old 2.8Jtd Hymer her yearly service, I'm going to change the gearbox oil to synthetic and I'd like to change the engine oil to fully Synthetic as well but it seems every where I look gives me conflicting info on what to use, just wondered if anyone else has done it and what oil did you use??

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
While I'm off over Christmas, I'd like to give my old 2.8Jtd Hymer her yearly service, I'm going to change the gearbox oil to synthetic and I'd like to change the engine oil to fully Synthetic as well but it seems every where I look gives me conflicting info on what to use, just wondered if anyone else has done it and what oil did you use??

what do you mean by old :)... may pay to do a good check before changing to a synthetic oil.. if the engine has been run on mineral since new then synthetic may not in fact do it any good... could wash out carbon build up and cause leaks around seals or even effect the seal and gaskets materials..
i once used a good flushing oil on a old saab and ill swear it did more harm than good:xangry: and I've read synthetics can do the same..
andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
what do you mean by old :)... may pay to do a good check before changing to a synthetic oil.. if the engine has been run on mineral since new then synthetic may not in fact do it any good... could wash out carbon build up and cause leaks around seals or even effect the seal and gaskets materials..
i once used a good flushing oil on a old saab and ill swear it did more harm than good:xangry: and I've read synthetics can do the same..
andy

2002:xThumb: it normally takes semi so just wondered if it would like to go all the way:giggler:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it has a dpf or egr it will also probably need a specific low ash oil.

I use specific genuine merc oil in my car but only because i can buy 20ltrs for under £60 otherwise it would get another brand but the same spec.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
From what I understand you may suffer oil leaks but if not it should do no harm providing you choose the correct spec.
Whether it is cost effective is a different matter. If you are doing low mileage, probably not.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
But is it worth doing? I'm just trying to make sure my engine is getting the best, and as I understand it, fully synth is the best:xwink:
My understanding is it is a good lubricant but one of its main benefits is it will last much longer in mileage terms than conventional oils. This is why many modern vehicles can go say two years and astronomical mileages before the oil needs changing.
I'm no expert so listen to other opinions but my instinct would be a semi-synthetic would be a sensible compromise.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
But is it worth doing? I'm just trying to make sure my engine is getting the best, and as I understand it, fully synth is the best:xwink:

id be inclined to stick with the semi you have always used.. you say its an annual service so id say you are looking after it well... and id also stick with the normal gear box oil if you change that... no nasty surprises and regrets that way...
andy

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Daft question. What do they make synthetic oil from. I mean obviously mineral oil is made from dead dinosaurs etc. Maybe synthetic is made from recycled 80s era music synthesisers? Could someone please explain?
Yes I have had a G&T or two ish.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
2.8 jtd motor should have 10w40 semi synthetic oil, anything other than this can lead to leaks and there is no advantage to putting fully synth in it. Interesting that you say the egr has been blocked off as I've never yet seen a 2.8 with an egr fitted.

D.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
2.8 jtd motor should have 10w40 semi synthetic oil, anything other than this can lead to leaks and there is no advantage to putting fully synth in it. Interesting that you say the egr has been blocked off as I've never yet seen a 2.8 with an egr fitted.

D.

Thanks Dave, Didn't know if it had one or not but when I had it remapped the guy asked if I wanted it off as it would save problems later, didn't cost any extra so I said yes:confused:

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
There is a lot of misunderstanding about synthetic versus semi synthetic oils. Their lubricating specification is exactly the same.
The only difference between a (say) 10W40 synthetic and semi synthetic oil is the the synthetic will stay within its manufacturers lubrication spec for longer in use.
This might be a factor to consider if you are doing white-van-man starship mileages per year.
It utterly is NOT relevant if your vehicle is doing 10,000 miles or less per year and you change the engine oil annually. You'd be throwing money straight down the drain.
Make sure you don't go thinner than 10W40 engine oil on the 2.8jtd engine, the oil seals will leak if you put thinner oil in.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Having been involved in and around engines for well over 50 years and spent time researching why certain oil are specified I found out that the majority of manufacturers work with a specific oil supplier when developing an engine and specify the one that suits the job best. The majority of people believe that an oil is just a lubricant however in the majority of modern engines it is part of the cooling system as well and the wrong oil can cause over heating on some components. Oil pressure is also key to the running of a modern engine and is used to create things like timing chain tension and correct valve clearances. Wrong oil can create too high or too low a pressure. So not only can you get problems with leaks and seal degradation and well as carbon build up or destruction you may well effect the efficient running of the motor.

My advise is always read the manual and not only get the correct grade of oil if you can get the correct make and always if possible get the manufacturers own filters - if you want to know the reason for manufacturers filters just cut open a genuine filter then and aftermarket one the answer will be obvious.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Daft question. What do they make synthetic oil from. I mean obviously mineral oil is made from dead dinosaurs etc. Maybe synthetic is made from recycled 80s era music synthesisers? Could someone please explain?
Yes I have had a G&T or two ish.

They both come from dead dinosaurs. They are just mashed up finer at the refining stage for "synthetic" specification.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Using synthetic will have the potential to seriously damage your wealth if it is unsuitable.
As above posters have said, the correct oil for the engine and gearbox was a major part of the design process of these major components. Changing it to the latest technology just does not work for many reasons including the tolerances and the metals used.
Even if the viscosity is the same, the latest detergents in modern oils can often clean all the years of carbon ( which is good for sealing everything) off and end up with leaks externally and internally.
It is not worth the risk. If you like a particular oil brand or type, ask the manufacturer if they think it is suitable for your vehicle

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Synthetic Oil will have a cleaning effect when Semi has been used for some years, it could lead to oil leaks ( thinking of oil getting on the clutch which you will not see until to late)) and possibly a rise in oil consumption. I would stick to a good quality semi as recommended.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks for the replies guys:xThumb: a good quality 10w-40 semi-synth it is then:xgrin: looks like I can get 20L for about £60:xwink:
I have heard that people have had good results with the synthetic in the gearbox though but will have to do a bit more research on that:xThumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks for the replies guys:xThumb: a good quality 10w-40 semi-synth it is then:xgrin: looks like I can get 20L for about £60:xwink:
I have heard that people have had good results with the synthetic in the gearbox though but will have to do a bit more research on that:xThumb:
Gordon Bennet Your determined to destroy somat aincha :xdoh:
Bring it over here and I'll put a lump hammer thro your box save you £40 at least

For the Uninitiated there are only Two oils that exist!
1. Mineral Oil Made by Dinosaurs, recoverd by Men In white Coats
2. Synthetic Oil Made by Men in white coats

3. Semi Synthetic Oil Made by Men in white Coats by Mixing 1+ 2 together in varying proportions
All containing added Detergents, fortifiers and viscosity controlers
G

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
We use Extra Virgin Olive oil for salads and Light Olive Oil for the skillet.
:xwink:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
A while ago I asked the Garage that did my servicing on our 02 Ducato to change to Fully synthetic when changing oil, and they advised me against for the same reasons that have been explained several times in this thread. I run Semi in the Engine and mineral in the G/Box

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Gordon Bennet Your determined to destroy somat aincha :xdoh:
Bring it over here and I'll put a lump hammer thro your box save you £40 at least

For the Uninitiated there are only Two oils that exist!
1. Mineral Oil Made by Dinosaurs, recoverd by Men In white Coats
2. Synthetic Oil Made by Men in white coats

3. Semi Synthetic Oil Made by Men in white Coats by Mixing 1+ 2 together in varying proportions
All containing added Detergents, fortifiers and viscosity controlers
G

:xgrin: Keep your hair on chap:confused:
I did say more research required:xwink:
A search on here about the fifth gear problem in this gearbox suggests that peeps have put fully synthetic in their gearbox with only positive results:xThumb:

BUT I will do more research and if I do change it for summit different, then I'll let everyone know if I actually did need your lump hammer or not:xblink:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We use Extra Virgin Olive oil for salads and Light Olive Oil for the skillet.
:xwink:

Young Sam on the Farm, having a camp out with a couple of friends. They had lit a fire and were in the process of frying up a few eggs for brekkie.
His Mum came to see how they were coping, and discovered what they were cooking the eggs in . The howls of protest as she grabbed the pan and tossed the eggs into the hedge. She told them to come into the house for brekkie, her parting shot was "bring the fry pan AND that Can of WD40"

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
A lot of budget mineral oils are made by reusing waste engine oil. It's obviously cleaned first (filters and centrifuge) then fresh additives (detergent, anti wear, anti foam and stabilisers) are added. Simplified, the base oil is basically a carrier for the additives.
The original Castrol R was pure castor oil and had to be replaced frequently, not because it stopped lubricating but mostly due to the build up of harmful compounds (acids and water etc from combustion bypass) that would corrode internal surfaces.
It's probably more important to use the recommended grade more than anything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back