Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I did say I may be wrong and I’ve proved myself to be right on that occasion 😂😂

Two site I checked are Melrose and York, I was correct regarding April and thought May was full but now realise it may not have opened for bookings yet. What fooled me was the Callander doesn’t go any further so I thought it was available to book until end of May, I still don’t understand why April is fully booked if you can only book a year in advance. As I said never done it before and unlikely to do it again so no major issue for me and apologies if I’ve gave wrong information.
Funnily enough Melrose was one of the ones I checked as that's a favourite of ours particularly as a winter destination.
From what I can see hardstandings with \ without awnings are only full on 8 \ 9 April 2022 (fully serviced are booked the following weekend as well - Easter) which is almost certainly the proposed dates for The Melrose Sevens which are always the first dates booked.

1616926522989.png

OP
OP
D
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Looking at the replies so far, doesn’t make me change my mind. I am not a heavy user of the club and will probably join a lot of others who have left it. It is pointless being a member, who has to sit down and book sites well in advance, not even knowing if we can really make it. Paying a deposit is the only way to stop the selfish attitude of some members who book for the year. Forking out a substantial amount of non refundable cash in one go, would sort out the wheat from the chaff. Why are so many people. afraid of a deposit plan, if they intend going in the first place, when they will have to pay when they arrive anyway.
Northern Soul said, “is it the same people booking weekends”, that is something we don’t know and will never know.
When I book a ferry to Spain, I know I have to pay all the cost before I travel, this is standard practice.

It is great to see the interaction and people’s opinions on this thorny subject. Sometimes a valid point can just sway an argument, I’m afraid this hasn’t done it for me this time.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I did say I may be wrong and I’ve proved myself to be right on that occasion 😂😂

Two site I checked are Melrose and York, I was correct regarding April and thought May was full but now realise it may not have opened for bookings yet. What fooled me was the Callander doesn’t go any further so I thought it was available to book until end of May, I still don’t understand why April is fully booked if you can only book a year in advance. As I said never done it before and unlikely to do it again so no major issue for me and apologies if I’ve gave wrong information.
Yup, on the second lock down the CAMC opened up bookings until the end of April 2022, so you could book February, March and April early.

It was well published, on Facebook, by email and even in the magazine, that is why April next year is already full.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Funnily enough Melrose was one of the ones I checked as that's a favourite of ours particularly as a winter destination.
From what I can see hardstandings with \ without awnings are only full on 8 \ 9 April 2022 (fully serviced are booked the following weekend as well - Easter) which is almost certainly the proposed dates for The Melrose Sevens which are always the first dates booked.

View attachment 478134
It was the Melrose Sevens we fancied doing, we had planned for this year but can't due to Covid. It's also our Anniversary weekend so I'd put a reminder in my phone for 31/3 to prompt me to book for next year as you said they are always first booked, this thread prompted me to look early to find it booked up already as is York for every weekend in April.

The non deposit thing doesn't bother me but if the CMC site tells you that booking will become available a year in advance then I think that's what it should be, I know it also says on occasion they will open 2 months at a time like July and August as some folks holidays will be in each month, wouldn't have thought it was necessary for March and April.
If it is the case they open 2 months at a time it should possibly better communicated what months this will happen, unless of course I missed that too.( Looks like I did miss this, as my teacher used to say Gerry needs to pay attention in class)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yup, on the second lock down the CAMC opened up bookings until the end of April 2022, so you could book February, March and April early.

It was well published, on Facebook, by email and even in the magazine, that is why April next year is already full.
I didn't know that so probably my fault for not paying attention again :)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Looking at the replies so far, doesn’t make me change my mind. I am not a heavy user of the club and will probably join a lot of others who have left it. It is pointless being a member, who has to sit down and book sites well in advance, not even knowing if we can really make it. Paying a deposit is the only way to stop the selfish attitude of some members who book for the year. Forking out a substantial amount of non refundable cash in one go, would sort out the wheat from the chaff. Why are so many people. afraid of a deposit plan, if they intend going in the first place, when they will have to pay when they arrive anyway.
Northern Soul said, “is it the same people booking weekends”, that is something we don’t know and will never know.
When I book a ferry to Spain, I know I have to pay all the cost before I travel, this is standard practice.

It is great to see the interaction and people’s opinions on this thorny subject. Sometimes a valid point can just sway an argument, I’m afraid this hasn’t done it for me this time.
We're light users of their main sites as we prefer CL's, in saying that we managed to get 3 club sites in Cornwall last September at short notice. If it was down to sites alone I'd probably think about leaving, fortunately for me I get my membership back in discounts, in normal times we tend to take the van to europe twice a year and depending where we are going we more than likely take the Hull to Zeebrugge/Rotterdam or Newcastle to Amsterdam crossings. The money I save on one return journey alone normally pays my membership, we are booked to travel on the 3/9/21 Hull to Rotterdam and through the CMC its £374 return, if booking direct it was at least £70 more expensive.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Like Gerry I must have missed that one as well!:rolleyes:

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Having read some of the replies here, if I owned a site no one would be booking without a 50% dipper upfront. I can't believe people think it's acceptable to book a pitch then jack it because last weeks flowers have withered and died.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Not sure if I'm reading your post correctly so apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick.
If you're saying you block pre-book and then cancel on a whim are you not just exacerbating the alleged problem and then moaning about it on here that there's a problem?:unsure:
Seems strange if you are as that's what could be driving the alleged issue where "unsubstantiated block bookings" are a result of members thinking there is an issue and adopting a policy of let's make sure we're alright.
Again, if I've misinterpreted your post, sincere apologies.
You have but I have no hestiation if booking months in advance not knowing what is around the corner. With the C&CC and commercial sites I wait until I am certain I can go. That is what most are doing.
ezee

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
That is what most are doing.
ezee
Don't believe it is but neither of us can prove it one way or another.:(
I would suggest it is a tad hypocritical complaining about the block booking issue when you are, in fact, doing so yourself.:(
I have a clear conscious of not impacting fellow members.(y)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
You have but I have no hestiation if booking months in advance not knowing what is around the corner. With the C&CC and commercial sites I wait until I am certain I can go. That is what most are doing.
ezee
I have to agree with you on this one. As I said on a similar thread, I have made several CAMH bookings for the coming months but have held off booking, and paying for, C&CC Oxford in July to visit my son until the covid factor is more clear.

Last September I visited a site near Hereford for the first time. I fell in love with it and tried to extend my stay. Fully booked they said so no chance.

As it turned out, when I checked online the night before I left (and had already made alternative plans), there were vacancies for the following few days.

This wasn't a CAMH site - it was C&CC so did folks lose their money or shift their bookings forward? 😎😎

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001

The way the C&MHC is run obviously suits many people. If it didn't, the sites would be half empty. Instead they are usually full or almost full. Clearly the way it's run doesn't suit you DelMar and some others on this thread, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suit the rest of us. We're not afraid of change, we just like it the way it is.

We also like their CLs, many of which take deposits and we like their Red Pennant holiday insurance. Their regular holiday insurance is also very good.

OP
OP
D
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Because you like the way the club is run, does not mean it is well run, if it was everyone would agree with you, but unfortunately as the forum shows, we don’t.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Because you like the way the club is run, does not mean it is well run, if it was everyone would agree with you, but unfortunately as the forum shows, we don’t.
You'll never please all of the members all of the time however I believe they please the majority of the members most of the time. On that basis I think they do an acceptable job.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
If you were running the club you would think you are running it well. But there would be peaple thinking you weren’t. Nothing in life is perfect to everyone. (y)

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
If you were running the club you would think you are running it well. But there would be peaple thinking you weren’t. Nothing in life is perfect to everyone. (y)
Agreed, taking money upfront does tend to deter tyre kickers mind.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Having read some of the replies here, if I owned a site no one would be booking without a 50% dipper upfront. I can't believe people think it's acceptable to book a pitch then jack it because last weeks flowers have withered and died.
Nor me, and I have no evidence that they do!

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I think it's well run and apart from a few peeps on this forum, I've not heard anything to the contrary. When we stay on a site, you don't get groups of people moaning about the booking format. Instead you meet loads of happy people enjoying being on their holidays.

Just because a few people on Motorhome Fun object to the way it's run, doesn't mean a thing. For me the proof is in the popularity of the club.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I think it's well run and apart from a few peeps on this forum, I've not heard anything to the contrary. When we stay on a site, you don't get groups of people moaning about the booking format. Instead you meet loads of happy people enjoying being on their holidays.

Just because a few people on Motorhome Fun object to the way it's run, doesn't mean a thing. For me the proof is in the popularity of the club.
..and if peeps don't like it, all the more spaces for us to block book 🤣🤣

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
..and if peeps don't like it, all the more spaces for us to block book 🤣🤣
Absolutely, if people don't like the way it works, they can always leave.

There are plenty on Facebook who claim to have done so.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Absolutely, if people don't like the way it works, they can always leave.

There are plenty on Facebook who claim to have done so.
We joined CAMC 13 months ago and use the Discussions Forum. The block booking seems to be a recurring theme, and causes a deal of frustration, leading to 'Shan't bother renewing my subscription' posts; and 6months later, when the threat is repeated, other members will respond with a tongue in cheek 'That's what you said last time' ... Nobody at either Club or Member Level has devised a better system yet, so we must, in all probability, continue to seethe until the urge to post another rant subsides ... ;) There is a hint of 'the usual suspects' to it all!

Steve & Elaine

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We joined CAMC 13 months ago and use the Discussions Forum. The block booking seems to be a recurring theme, and causes a deal of frustration, leading to 'Shan't bother renewing my subscription' posts; and 6months later, when the threat is repeated, other members will respond with a tongue in cheek 'That's what you said last time' ... Nobody at either Club or Member Level has devised a better system yet, so we must, in all probability, continue to seethe until the urge to post another rant subsides ... ;) There is a hint of 'the usual suspects' to it all!

Steve & Elaine
Yes I've been on their discussion forum. Not many people use it, as it's the same old peeps popping up with the same old gripes.

The real proof for me, is how popular the C&MHC is. If the way it was run was as dire as some would have you believe, it wouldn't be so successful.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
This wasn't a CAMH site - it was C&CC so did folks lose their money or shift their bookings forward? 😎😎
They were excellent Janine, they repurposed my deposit several times due to COVID. However, I had to go for dates that weren’t already booked up. CCC too! Deposits taken and I still can’t get on a site “Bowness” when I want to go!

for the nay sayers, All popular sites, deposits taken or not can prove difficult to get on.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Out of all the people saying how badly the clubs are run, how many actually go to the annual general meeting and voice their views and vote etc.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Surely a good halfway house would be insisting on payment say 2 weeks before the start of your booking. Many booking.com hotels work in this manner. That way if people dropped out at least the pitches could be opened up to late bookers.

OP
OP
D
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
My only criticism of the club is they don’t take a deposit with a booking. If they did, it would maybe stop people block booking for the year, as financial outlay would be offputting. Is this the reason those block bookers don’t want change. There is no room for spontaneity any longer. If someone has the audacity to mention anything to do with change, they now become wingers and moaners. Sad really, just come up with a better argument of why a deposit should not be taken, not that the club is successful and popular, we already know that.
Other than the above, I think the club is a great club, run by dedicated people.

OP
OP
D
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
My only criticism of the club is they don’t take a deposit with a booking. If they did, it would maybe stop people block booking for the year, as financial outlay would be offputting. Is this the reason those block bookers don’t want change. There is no room for spontaneity any longer. If someone has the audacity to mention anything to do with change, they now become wingers and moaners. Sad really, just come up with a better argument of why a deposit should not be taken, not that the club is successful and popular, we already know that.
Other than the above, I think the club is a great club, run by dedicated people.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back