LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
That's fair enough, something needs to change though imo. As suggested above, something like three no shows per season should ban people booking in advance for the rest of the season.
There is a penalty for cancelling within 72 hours. I think it's twice within the year before restrictions imposed on advance bookings.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Okay,folks. - I have the perfect solution to all of this.

If you like paying a deposit, join the C&CC.
If you dont like paying a deposit, join the CAMC.

It would be interesting to know how many pitches are booked with each club.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Who are most of the members??? No one has asked me for my views.

If I had to book and pay in advance for every trip out in the moho, I would give up and sell the van!

Many on here talk about the lack of flexibility in this country and how it's so much easier on the continent. Well a change like this would remove any flexibility that we have at present!
But as you know as soon as booking opens then people go on and book a year ahead depriving serious people of getting a pitch.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
The system is is perfect for us.

I'm a shift worker and know my present shifts until I retire, or die, whichever is sooner and we know what events/festival's/racing we what to do for the coming year, and book both CAMC and c&cc site's accordingly

Yes, sometimes we can't get a last minute booking for somewhere, but then there is always a cl/cs site to try and of course the last minute availability too.

I got into chatsworth last year on a late availability and no one believed that I got the booking so I easily, and, the brother in law has just got a booking for Southport CAMC for the airshow weekend, that's been booked solid since they were released!

I can work with both systems 👍

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
When i read posts like some above i feel grateful i am NOT a member of any C sites, and have no intention of becoming one. So those that book day's and weeks not knowing if they will go can feel chuffed with themself;s.
Ok, I'll ask you the same question.

Who are these people? Have you met them?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Every time I read a thread on this subject there are comments like "pitches are fully booked when system allows and then cancelled later". Does anyone have verifiable statistics on this?
Is it a majority of members or just a few?
How many pitches are cancelled on what timeframe?
etc?
etc?
We book up pitches a number of months in advance and, with the exclusion of the last year for obvious reasons, we've only ever cancelled one or two pitches with a minimum of a couple of weeks notice.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
a) Is it not now a rolling booking period, stopping the mad rush at the beginning of the year?
b) How do you know they're not serious - a massive assumption
c) If you need/want to be at a particular site on a particular date... book early. Everybody knows the rules. Like package holidays, book late, less choice but maybe better prices. It's all a game.

I presume the CAMC has cancellation data & occupancy rates as well as collating any complaints, I guess they're happy enough with the situation.

Personally, I think the IT behind the CAMC booking system is far superior to that of the CCC - at least you can see availability.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.

No, i don't know any because i am not a member, and no intention of becoming one. I merely state it seems unfair that some book so many day's nights really not knowing if they will make it. Then genuine people cannot get in.
As i said, from what i have read over the months about C sites i am not interested in joining.
Enjoy your stays.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I just looked at C&M club site at Pembrey country park, with a view to booking a week or more. Unfortunately it is fully booked except for the odd day until October.
My question is, is it time the club started taking deposits, to stop people just booking sites for the whole season, even if there is a chance they cannot get there.
I remember talking to a guy who told me that once booking was available, he then booked sites for the year, whether he could go or not.
Yes

Yes, I have met them, there are lots of folk who do exactly what has been highlighted on this, and other threads.

I know it’s a contentious topic but, IMV, it needs changing. Options include:

• Charge a deposit on booking
  • Increase the cancellation window from 3 days to 7 days (3 days allows folks to check the forecast and cancel if they don’t fancy it - as folks have admitted to me)
Ian

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
No, i don't know any because i am not a member, and no intention of becoming one. I merely state it seems unfair that some book so many day's nights really not knowing if they will make it. Then genuine people cannot get in.
As i said, from what i have read over the months about C sites i am not interested in joining.
Enjoy your stays.
I do feel I am being accused of something which is pure speculation though!

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I know and I am bored :)

I do get a bit peed off being accused of block booking sites that I have no intention of using though.
In the short time I've been a member here people have admitted doing it.

I don't think anyone has accused you of doing it but it happens.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Reading this you can understand why sites go to statics , the money is paid up front at the beginning of the year and they don’t have to worry about who books or doesn’t.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
a) Is it not now a rolling booking period, stopping the mad rush at the beginning of the year?
b) How do you know they're not serious - a massive assumption
c) If you need/want to be at a particular site on a particular date... book early. Everybody knows the rules. Like package holidays, book late, less choice but maybe better prices. It's all a game.

I presume the CAMC has cancellation data & occupancy rates as well as collating any complaints, I guess they're happy enough with the situation.

Personally, I think the IT behind the CAMC booking system is far superior to that of the CCC - at least you can see availability.
It's been a rolling booking system for at least a couple of years now and works very well.
As you say if you want \need to go to a specific site book in advance. If not available on short notice go somewhere else.
I looked at joining C&CC but didn't because of their poor booking system and deposit regime.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I do feel I am being accused of something which is pure speculation though!
I don’t think anyone has accused you personally but it does happen. If you book and have every intention of going why wouldn’t you want to pay a deposit? After all it just means you won’t have to pay as much when you arrive.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I don’t think anyone has accused you personally but it does happen. If you book and have every intention of going why wouldn’t you want to pay a deposit? After all it just means you won’t have to pay as much when you arrive.
Just to add to this, if there is a genuine reason to cancel such as illness I haven't got a problem. Only this week on this very forum someone said they had just joined one of the clubs because they could cancel if the weather looked dodgy, with no financial penalty.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
I’m happy not to give deposits. You have to do what I do “ play the game” by that I don’t mean book everything, I mean if you can’t book, phone, use the late availability, choose a site that is available. And before anyone says I book and as yet haven’t cancelled due to bad weather or cause I don’t fancy it. I’m also in an enviable position of being in teaching so know when I can take my holidays. The pain is that’s when the prices shoot up. I’ve yet to not go away when I want to.

my experience of working outside of teaching, I had to give my holiday dates pretty early in the year so also knew when my hols were. You can now book a year in advance which I find is better than the free for all on the day in Dec when they used to allow bookings for the following year.

Janine, I’m with you on this subject, whenever it gets an airing on here I used to take it personally and used to grate on my nerves. However someone is always going to winge they can’t get a particular site booking. That neither your fault or mine, they have just left it too late to book. It comes up several time per year about York. I’ve yet not to go on my desired dates because I use the system to my benefit.

Last edited:

Colino

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby T65HFL
I just looked at C&M club site at Pembrey country park, with a view to booking a week or more. Unfortunately it is fully booked except for the odd day until October.
My question is, is it time the club started taking deposits, to stop people just booking sites for the whole season, even if there is a chance they cannot get there.
I remember talking to a guy who told me that once booking was available, he then booked sites for the year, whether he could go or not.
From what I can remember Pembrey is always busy and fully booked in the holiday season. Very popular me thinks.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The cash is better in my bank account than theirs.
Currently got about 60 - 70 nights booked. How much cash would I be tying up when I have every intention of going and paying on arrival?
Would deposits be refundable?
What about the admin involved in this?
What if I paid a deposit and for genuine reasons, eg illness, we couldn't go? Do I have to send them a doctors line?
Until I can see statistics of the scale of the problem it's all speculation and hearsay and as such I wouldn't be supporting a change to deposits.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Only this week on this very forum someone said they had just joined one of the clubs because they could cancel if the weather looked dodgy, with no financial penalty.
I agree with you that is not "cricket".

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Prior to MHing any holiday I've booked i have had to pay a deposit when booking and the balance x amount of days weeks before travel. In the case of airline tickets it's 100% when booking even if your flight is 6/9 months or even a year ahead.
So why should booking a pitch be any different?
I merely ask. :unsure:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I have booked 5 short breaks at CMC sites for this year. I just hope that we don't have to cancel any of them and it will be better than last year when we only had one short break away in our van. We also lost a deposit on an independent site booking which had to be cancelled due to the 1st lockdown a year ago.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
I have booked 5 short breaks at CMC sites for this year. I just hope that we don't have to cancel any of them and it will be better than last year when we only had one short break away in our van. We also lost a deposit on an independent site booking which had to be cancelled due to the 1st lockdown a year ago.

Surely your deposit should have been refunded or at least moved to a new booking?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
How many, how frequently, what timeframe, etc vs those who don't cancel?

If you’re able to give me the data for those that don’t cancel, I might be in with a shout of giving you the data for those that do.

Just because you haven’t encountered those that block book and cancel at short notice doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back