fulltiming medical insurance? (1 Viewer)


roger loiselle

Deleted User
We are about to go fulltiming in Europe for a couple of years.
Our concern is medical insurance, should we self insure or find a suitable policy?
We have had trouble finding a company who will quote a fulltime tourer in Europe, I am diabetic and do not seek this factor to be included. Any suggestions?
Roger & Jackie

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Your EHIC will be invalid if you're abroad for that length of time and out of the country for more than 182 days in any year and so you won't even have basic cover, so I would suggest you need to find cover rather than "risk it"


Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
CB 6.5 metres
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
EH1C Full Timers

This is a mine field where if you are in another country for more than 6 months on return you can be refused access to the NHS. This was a report in the Media a few months ago so would be worth checking out.
Be interesting on the experts view on this subject.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Try TELEPHONING insureandgo and tell them what EXACTLY you want. We always stick to
medical insurance and cut out the possessions etc side of the insurance. In some instances we have taken a cheap flight back to UK to renew cover.

It may be prudent not to tell the NHS you are away for a long time. If you need prescriptions
for any problem it may be worth ( if possible ) sorting out a repeat prescription and getting someone to get it for you and send it out. Otherwise many prescription medicines can be bought over the counter in Europe.

My Life and other stuff:


Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No

I am not a fulltimer so I can't answer your original question, but i was wondering if you intend to stay in one country for a reasonable amount of time like Spain for a large part of the winter then is it possible to purchase a medical insurance in that country similar to our BUPA type system, as I would suspect some of the indigenous people of the country you are visiting take out private medical insurance

Just a thought that may help.

roger loiselle

Deleted User
Fulltiming medical insurance

Thank you for all your input. I guess a quick trip home every 6 months is a serious option, I like the idea of purchasing medical insurance in France, which is where we will be mostly! Thanks again, this forum business is great for a newcomer. Take care, Roger and Jackie Loiselle:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements


Funsters who are viewing this thread