fulltiming insurance

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by ianandkath, Jul 22, 2017.

1. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +8,918
    Yes. And unlimited mileage.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  2. Hilewaychile

Hilewaychile Funster

Ratings:
    +82
    What constitutes "retaining a home" ? I do not own a UK property and I pay no rent or bills where I live when the wheels stop turning. I am fortunate to be "the mad uncle in the attic" at a country house owned by a friend, whose main home is in London. I have what used to be the tack room of stables to store stuff. I have pots and pans in the kitchen that everybody else has the use of, if they wish. My address for my UK bank a/c, HMRC, NHS, Scottish Wids, DVLA, Uncle Tom Cobbley an' all, is at this property. I am registered as a patient at the local NHS clinic.

I did explain my position to some commercial institution which wanted to know if I was an owner/occupier, tenant or whatever. When I described the above, there was a laugh at the other end and we went on filling in the forms ...

Someone once suggested a rent book with £1 p.w./p.m/p.a. But whose to say that this is not where I live, when I am there, not being at the time a definite vistor, or tourist, elsewhere?

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. BreweryDave

Ratings:
    +8,918
    Simple really. Do you live there, or do you live in your van 365. ( or I believe technically it’s for more than 9 months per year)
    If asked, can you PROVE that you live there and not in your van 365.
    Best course of action is to be honest with the insurance company, explain your circumstances, and if they accept it then you’ll be fine.
    I explain that we own a house, we are on the electoral role, but it’s rented out, I have no utility bills or proof that we live there ( because we dont) but we could return there if neccesary, or could say we live with parents, but at the end of the day that’s bending the rules, which many are happy to do, no problem, but in the event of a claim if you haven’t been honest they the insurance company can get out of paying you, which is after all why you buy it! Personally I’ll pay the required premium to ensure I’ve got what Ive paid for.

4. Hilewaychile

Hilewaychile Funster

Ratings:
    +82
    I don't live in my van 365. I live at this property [as I said] "when the wheels stop turning". I don't own it. I don't rent it. I pay no bills. But it is UK home as far as all the institutions I listed are concerned - and as far as I am concerned and as long as my friend is happy to allow me to do so.

5. NomadicDad

NomadicDad Funster

Ratings:
    +31
    We will be paying a broadband bill for our tenants and we own the house BUT we will be coming off the council tax and everything else so don't think we can honestly claim we still 'live' there hence why going for full timing policy too.

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. BreweryDave

Ratings:
    +8,918
    All I can advise is to declare your circumstances truthfully to your insurance company and see what they say.