Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
what price do you pay for your insurance. i pay £555 and that includes 190 days full time, i will need 365 days

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Minefield!
But, there is only one true FT policy ( where you have no actual home) and that is through aviva. Call Comfort for a quote, that's the best place for a proper FT policy, trust me, been doing it for years and looking for alternatives but there ain't any if you want to be 100% legit.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We pay £720 without breakdown,that was an extra £60 if I wanted it but decided to go with ADAC this year.
Comfort is the only one I know to do it.
That's with 365 days european cover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
When we fulltimed a few years ago, it was £1800 a year, £780 inc breakdown seems very cheap, I wonder if they have reduced their prices?

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
I've not used them, but you may also want to consider Safeguard, particularly as their policy comes with unlimited mileage as standard, which would seem a good thing for anyone full-timing.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
When we fulltimed a few years ago, it was £1800 a year, £780 inc breakdown seems very cheap, I wonder if they have reduced their prices?
I think it depends on the van you have?

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've not used them, but you may also want to consider Safeguard, particularly as their policy comes with unlimited mileage as standard, which would seem a good thing for anyone full-timing.
I didn't know anyone else to do the full time cover?

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
There is no one else! Only Aviva. There are other policies that allow 365 touring BUT you must retain a home.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Some say 365 touring but only allow 180 days at a time.

C+C

Free Member
May 2, 2017
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
We are with Aviva through Comfort but can only get 9 months a year because we have a van conversion? Don't ask why, Comfort didn't know

NomadicDad

Free Member
Sep 28, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Rimor
Exp
Newbie to motorhomes but lots of classic VW and camping experience
Hi all. New here as we are looking to join the full timing world with our 3 kids whilst renting out our permanent home in the UK but the motorhome we were interested in was a 2005 and Comfort said they won't insure motorhomes over 10 years old :(

Are any of you full timers in 10+ year old motorhomes?

Safeguard who I also found via this forum are no good due to us renting the house out (n)

C+C

Free Member
May 2, 2017
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
We are also renting out our house but contacted local council, Gosport, who sent us a form showing us on the Electoral Roll, the tenants add their names and return to the council we are all registered at the same address. Worth speaking to your council.

NomadicDad

Free Member
Sep 28, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Rimor
Exp
We are also renting out our house but contacted local council, Gosport, who sent us a form showing us on the Electoral Roll, the tenants add their names and return to the council we are all registered at the same address. Worth speaking to your council.
Ok so that meant you were able to use Safeguard even if away for 11 months at a time?

Anyone else had an issue with the age of their motorhome for such polices?

Thanks

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
AIB in Southampton do a fulltiming policy with aviva.
I had a long conversation with them and will contact them again when renewal due in December. They came up with quite a competitive premium but I need to check cover. @BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
AIB in Southampton do a fulltiming policy with aviva.
I had a long conversation with them and will contact them again when renewal due in December. They came up with quite a competitive premium but I need to check cover. @BreweryDave
It's the same Aviva Horizon policy just through a different broker. Check if aib include breakdown and recovery as comfort do.
My ft policy was £1540. Unlimited mileage and 365 eu cover.

Linda18

Free Member
Jan 8, 2018
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2003
I don't full time yet but pay £400 a year, by installments, with Caravan Guard. Gives me GB (used twice) and European breakdown (used once) and 8 months abroad. I am unsure how anyone can get away with full timing as seem to need an address in GB for som many things. I used my dads address when I full timed for 10 months once.

Also my motorhome is 13 years old now and I checked with them about the age of my vehice and there isn't a limit. Caravan and Motorhome Club wanted £215 for 9 weeks abroad and don't cover a van over 15 years of age.

Just completed an on line form for Comfort Insurance for 365 days cover with all breakdowns. Came to £408 paid up front. There is a note that full timing can be quoted for.

Last edited:

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Our full time policy via Comfort was £820 - not got the renewal quote for April 2018 yet. at @BreweryDave says there is only one 'proper' full time policy and that is from Aviva.

As far as I know Comfort and AIB are the only brokers selling the policy.

If you can prove you are on the voters list you might be able to save a few quid by insuring with a different broker. Knowing how keen insurance companies are to avoid paying out you have to ask yourself if its worth the risk though.

Paul

NomadicDad

Free Member
Sep 28, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Rimor
Exp
I'm about to cancel our standard policy and take out a full time cover as we leave the UK on 8th May and Comfort seems to be the best based on opinions here as you get full breakdown / recovery too yes?

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
There is no one else! Only Aviva. There are other policies that allow 365 touring BUT you must retain a home.

What constitutes "retaining a home" ? I do not own a UK property and I pay no rent or bills where I live when the wheels stop turning. I am fortunate to be "the mad uncle in the attic" at a country house owned by a friend, whose main home is in London. I have what used to be the tack room of stables to store stuff. I have pots and pans in the kitchen that everybody else has the use of, if they wish. My address for my UK bank a/c, HMRC, NHS, Scottish Wids, DVLA, Uncle Tom Cobbley an' all, is at this property. I am registered as a patient at the local NHS clinic.

I did explain my position to some commercial institution which wanted to know if I was an owner/occupier, tenant or whatever. When I described the above, there was a laugh at the other end and we went on filling in the forms ...

Someone once suggested a rent book with £1 p.w./p.m/p.a. But whose to say that this is not where I live, when I am there, not being at the time a definite vistor, or tourist, elsewhere?

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
What constitutes "retaining a home" ? I do not own a UK property and I pay no rent or bills where I live when the wheels stop turning. I am fortunate to be "the mad uncle in the attic" at a country house owned by a friend, whose main home is in London. I have what used to be the tack room of stables to store stuff. I have pots and pans in the kitchen that everybody else has the use of, if they wish. My address for my UK bank a/c, HMRC, NHS, Scottish Wids, DVLA, Uncle Tom Cobbley an' all, is at this property. I am registered as a patient at the local NHS clinic.

I did explain my position to some commercial institution which wanted to know if I was an owner/occupier, tenant or whatever. When I described the above, there was a laugh at the other end and we went on filling in the forms ...

Someone once suggested a rent book with £1 p.w./p.m/p.a. But whose to say that this is not where I live, when I am there, not being at the time a definite vistor, or tourist, elsewhere?

Simple really. Do you live there, or do you live in your van 365. ( or I believe technically it’s for more than 9 months per year)
If asked, can you PROVE that you live there and not in your van 365.
Best course of action is to be honest with the insurance company, explain your circumstances, and if they accept it then you’ll be fine.
I explain that we own a house, we are on the electoral role, but it’s rented out, I have no utility bills or proof that we live there ( because we dont) but we could return there if neccesary, or could say we live with parents, but at the end of the day that’s bending the rules, which many are happy to do, no problem, but in the event of a claim if you haven’t been honest they the insurance company can get out of paying you, which is after all why you buy it! Personally I’ll pay the required premium to ensure I’ve got what Ive paid for.

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
I don't live in my van 365. I live at this property [as I said] "when the wheels stop turning". I don't own it. I don't rent it. I pay no bills. But it is UK home as far as all the institutions I listed are concerned - and as far as I am concerned and as long as my friend is happy to allow me to do so.

NomadicDad

Free Member
Sep 28, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Rimor
Exp
We will be paying a broadband bill for our tenants and we own the house BUT we will be coming off the council tax and everything else so don't think we can honestly claim we still 'live' there hence why going for full timing policy too.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
All I can advise is to declare your circumstances truthfully to your insurance company and see what they say.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back