Fulltiming in an RV on a Car Licence (1 Viewer)

FullTimeDreamer

Free Member
Aug 21, 2009
Funster No
I spent the couple of days looking at RVs, They do look much more suited to our full time requirements, except those under 7.5t seem to have a tiny payload and unsuited to fulltiming. I have spent hours reading here and elsewhere about the licence requirements, I have had dealers tell me I am OK on my licence and another tell me I need to take a test. (don't fancy that) This seems to be a strange situation where there is no definitive answer.

Are things changing? can I drive a Large American Motorhome on my car licence without fear of prosecution? What about insurance?

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Are things changing? can I drive a Large American Motorhome on my car licence without fear of prosecution? What about insurance?

Oh Dreamer - if only you knew - if only any of us knew! :Eeek:

The answer is quite simple - today - legally - you cannot drive any motorhome over 3½ tonnes unless you have a C1 licence - and you cannot drive any motorhome over 7½ tonnes unless you have a C Licence.

There are many dealers out there - especially those that belong to the RVDA (the Recreational vehicle Dealers Association) who will tell you that you can drive any motorhome on your car licence
BUT unfortunately they cannot or will not supply proof of that fact in writing.

There are some dealers who will tell you - honestly - that you do need an LGV licence because in their opinion that is what the Law says.

Most of the people that I (and many other professional legal practitioners) have spoken to from the DVLA, the Department of Transport, The Police and all the emininet Caravanning Clubs have all of one voice stated quite specifically that you do need an LGV licence - and that they have no knowledge of any rules changes - past, present or future.

Every single piece of legislation that we have so far scanned from the European Union concerning driving licences states quite categorically that you do need a licence relevant to the specific weight of vehicle that you intend to drive.

If any dealer tells you different - ask for a copy of the proof (in writing) so that you can submit it to any legal vehicle licencing authority for approval. :thumb:

You are preparing to spend many thousands of £'s on a vehicle - and possibly risk everything, if you do drive it on a car licence - simply on the word of an 'Honest John' second-hand car dealer? I sincerely hope not!

Why won't anybody put the proof in writing - simple in my view - if you bought an RV on their say-so and were subsequently charged for driving on a 'wrong' licence - they know they could be liable, in law, for compensation.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
except those under 7.5t seem to have a tiny payload

Size, this would my 'guess' at these things. Ebay is a wonderful tool for research, shall we say, and it never ceases to amaze me when there is some monster RV with a GVW of 7.5 tonnes. My 'guess' is some dealers/importers either, err adjust the truth when registering or possibly down plate to make them 'legal' on a car licence (pre 97) but as you noticing, no payload.

By comparison, we have a 28ft Winne Brave, if memory serves 4.8 tonnes dry and a GVW of 6.731 (that bit sticks in my mind) therefore a serious payload even once she's 'wet', diesel, water, gas etc etc before all our clobber. All details are variously in our manual and/or on the 'plate' on the drivers door exactly as Mr Winnebago sent her out, and as I understand any decent RV should have this for all to see. Failing that, ie 'it's missing', tinternet should be able to give you the correct figures to make sure your buying a genuine vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
They are out there if you can live without a slide Coachmen Mirada 30 foot 1.25 tons of pay;oad:thumb:

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
a most say can you drive up to 7.5 or 3.5 depending on date test passed anything over those weights you need another class of licence so ans is no its all about weight

mikamada

Free Member
Apr 12, 2009
Funster No
Dick,

It does not matter if the dealer puts it in writing because you are the one who would be prosecuted because as it is considered a strict liability offence.

A strict liability offence does not require an intent to break the law just the fact that you carried out the act. It would be like getting off a speeding ticket because you did not intend to speed. ::bigsmile:

Ignorance or being encouraged or wrongly advised will not change the liability for the offence although it may have an impact on the resulting punishment for the infringement.

Adam

Groundhog

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Since 2008
I am currently in the process of gaining my category C licence in order to drive a motorhome with a MAM of 9,969 kg.

To quote directly from the DVLA information leaflet INS57P, Section - Minibuses, lorries and buses, Sub-section Motorhomes:

"When driving a motorhome it is the maximum authorised mass (the total weight of the vehicle plus the maximum load it can carry) which is relevant to the driving entitlement you need.

To drive a motorhome with a maximum authorised mass of between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes, you need a category C1 licence.

To drive a motorhome with a maximum authorised mass of over 7.5 tonnes you need a category C licence".

So to be safe rather than sorry I am going to make certain I am correctly licenced according to the published requirements of the DVLA. Being uninsured in the event of an accident due to not being correctly licenced is just not an option for me.

However, I guess it is for individuals to interpret the requirements for themselves.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Having it in writing won't help you in court. It will help you sue the dealer for all your money back and your out of pocket expenses if you were taken to court, or your insurance didn't pay etc.

That said, would you ever get taken to court, somehow I doubt it. The CPS only like black and white cases, all that grey costs them too much money:ROFLMAO:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi this has been argued about for years, and until someone get taken to court will continue to be so. The DVLA say that we are an PHGV therefore you need a "C" to go over 7.5 tonnes, however if we had been classed as a Bus you would be able to drive it on an ordinary licence, assuming you passed your test prior to 1997 as you have D1 entitlement, bus licences are on seating capacity not weight.

The DVLA as they say, don't make the law, they only interpret it, a few years back Travel World were in the process of going to court over this, as one of their drivers was being done, at the last moment the DVLA withdrew the case, indicating to me that their not 100% sure of their ground.

Personally get a "C" however if you like taking a risk, and theirs plenty out their who are doing just that, go for it. ::bigsmile:

Olley

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would like to say i know of away to get round it. ihave spent hours talking to and reading vosa info. i think you had better stick to 7.5 or take the test. i do always bring up the bus issue but its not been brought to court yet and could be along time consuming process.there was a great change in licensing laws in 1991 it has had a few changes to try and clarify the grey areas. its still not perfect. dont drive a vehicle over 7.5ookg be safe. your b+e does allow you to drive a tow unit up to 3,500kg gvw pulling a trailer of any weight so long as it doesnt exceed the train weight of the tow unit. thats why 5ers will be used more n more to allow more storage capacity. eg:iveco daily 3,500chassis cab. unit wt.2,000kg.hitch wt.1,500kg.trailer bogie wt.5,200kg.gives a total of 8,700kg this can be driven on an early car licence as its b+e. do hope this helps. there is alot of choice out there i hope you make the right one for you. have fun. alan.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Whatever the outcome of this licence debacle - I just wish that an Insurance Company would stick their head 'above the parapet' and state their policy on vehicle licencing. :Eeek:

Do they accept that a B licence driver can drive a C licence vehicle - would they still honour the policy in the event of a fatal accident attributed to the RV driver?

Pandora's Box has nothing on this licence situation - it is an absolute minefield, in my opinion - and one where you really do need to tread carefully if you decide to go against the majority verdict of a C licence is required.

I have always been an avid supporter of the RVDA and I have taken quite a lot of 'flack' for my unswerving support BUT in this case, I am sorry to say that it really is time to "PUT UP OR SHUT UP". If they know something that nobody else does then let everybody, including the Authorities, into the secret - because in the end it is the customer's money (and possibly their freedom) that is being put at risk.

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
except those under 7.5t seem to have a tiny payload

Size, this would my 'guess' at these things. Ebay is a wonderful tool for research, shall we say, and it never ceases to amaze me is some monster RVwhen there with a GVW of 7.5 tonnes. My 'guess' is some dealers/importers either, err adjust the truth when registering or possibly down plate to make them 'legal' on a car licence (pre 97) but as you noticing, no payload.

We met a chap in Cornwall earlier this year and he had a large RV which the plate and all information give showed it as well under 7.5 tonnes but when he actually weighed it it was well over 8.5 tonnes - didn't matter as he had the right license but he had to go through the hassle of replating and all that that involves

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
FYI, we have been full timing an a Georgie Boy 32ft that I drive on a car licence for nearly seven years now. Whenever I take it for an MOT the weights come up, and we are around 7 tons, fully loaded. There is plenty of room on this for full timing - just get used to the idea that you do not need to take everything you have been used to!!!! Put most of your possessions in store, and two years later you'll go back and sell it off, as you will not have needed it.

Travel light and enjoy it.

Bob and Di

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
FYI, we have been full timing an a Georgie Boy 32ft that I drive on a car licence for nearly seven years now. Whenever I take it for an MOT the weights come up, and we are around 7 tons, fully loaded. There is plenty of room on this for full timing - just get used to the idea that you do not need to take everything you have been used to!!!! Put most of your possessions in store, and two years later you'll go back and sell it off, as you will not have needed it.

Travel light and enjoy it.

Bob and Di

However, it's not the weight on the scales or what you are carrying when you consider it fully loaded but the Maximum Authorised Mass - the weight it is allowed to have fully loaded as shown on the plate. You may comply.

:Smile:
Keith

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
i would like to say i know of away to get round it. ihave spent hours talking to and reading vosa info. i think you had better stick to 7.5 or take the test. i do always bring up the bus issue but its not been brought to court yet and could be along time consuming process.there was a great change in licensing laws in 1991 it has had a few changes to try and clarify the grey areas. its still not perfect. dont drive a vehicle over 7.5ookg be safe. your b+e does allow you to drive a tow unit up to 3,500kg gvw pulling a trailer of any weight so long as it doesnt exceed the train weight of the tow unit. thats why 5ers will be used more n more to allow more storage capacity. eg:iveco daily 3,500chassis cab. unit wt.2,000kg.hitch wt.1,500kg.trailer bogie wt.5,200kg.gives a total of 8,700kg this can be driven on an early car licence as its b+e. do hope this helps. there is alot of choice out there i hope you make the right one for you. have fun. alan.

good advice that as for the bus think you will find vertually the same applies max 7.5 t over that you need a class c licence to drive a heavier coach you dont need psv if passengers are not fare paying or coach is empty fare paying passengers numbering above 8 a psv is needed but it still depends on weight coach weight up to 7.5 ok over a psv or a hgv is needed hgv ok on class c with no fare paying passengers otherwise psv needed its all in croners road transport ref book intresting reading if you hold a cpc you should know this ohh and not a drivers cpc a managers one so you can run your own haulage company

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ginge . if you have d1 or d1+e with restriction 119 weight limit does not apply. my partner has it on hers. i use david lowes transport managers handbook ,used to use the freight transport association road transport law book as well. there is no weights on buses they seem to work only on seats . although psv, doesnt cover trucks ,hgv does allow drivers to drive buses going to a place of repair. all seems daft as big is big. i do have c+e and d+e and managers cpc. thats why i have spent so long talking with the authority,s. common sense doesnt come into rules or laws and its allways been like it. we actually could do with re writng the licensing / driving system from scratch. there are alot of folk out there driving the wrong vehicles on the wrong licence ,also vehicles over weight etc. i do know our local testers spend lots of there time in summer on roadside checks. have fun but dont let your eyes get too bleary reading the books you probably do (like me).cheers alan.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
yep same as x trucker owner driver etc etc and they do want re writeing ye untill someone gets used as a scape goat it will just carry on i think may be some one like d lowe could work this one out but personly would not drive one unless i had the relavent licence as you say its a mine field a large rv coach etc should need some sort of training etc as you know thats why we spent a fortune getting licences etc some one will sort it sometime

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I would have thought contacting the DVLA the most logical approach, not only to get the precise infomation but also avoid a lot of confusion!

I once bought a vehicle where on the V5 under the the taxation class it was stated as "disabled". I was about to post it off to get ownership registered etc when fortunately i decided to contact DVLA to clarify what this 'disabled' was all about as i'd never had it on any other V5.

Good job i contacted them as it turned out i could not change it over as normal (by post), but had to physically attend the nearest DVLA centre with all the relevant documentation.

So my advice would be.......contact the DVLA.

hereford bull

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
HEREFORD
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
6 YRS
Thers nothing that gets a forum going than the licence issue how many times have we been down this road i have the right licence but i also think the wording on my old red book licence might have let me drive a m/home .i have a letter somewhere from the RHA from there legal beagles saying that they think i can drive an rv on my old licence but it says on there with the dvla"s approval [no chance then ] ,but ialso remember reading an interesting article by a fella with the initials DH who drove large monaco on a car licence and he had his solicitor challenge them on it and i presume is still driving ,another point who says the story of the TW driver is true i know its repeated a lot of times but who knows if its true ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
So my advice would be.......contact the DVLA.

Without going into the long running debate about what license is required for an RV over 7.5t GVW , the DVLA don't legislate, only interpret the existing legislation, and there is none for RVs.

You cannot have driving lessons or sit a test in an RV .. ergo there is no such thing as an RV license or category, the DVLA have tried to get around this anomaly by lumping RVs in with HGVs. Read the DVLA disclaimer.

No one has ever been successfully charged for driving an RV with a pre '97 car license.

Regarding insurance, my company were perfectly happy with my license and have also paid out on a claim I had two years ago.

If you look on other RV forums you see this topic is now being discussed at great length with a lot of rumours about what the DVLA plan to do.

The DVLA disclaimer...

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) takes every effort to ensure that the information published on this enquiry channel is accurate. However, the DVLA cannot accept any liability for the accuracy or content. Visitors who rely on this information do so at their own risk.
Where a document provides guidance on the law it should not be regarded as definitive. The way the law applies to any particular case can vary according to circumstances, and you should consider seeking independent legal advice if you are unsure of your own legal position.

My Disclaimer:

I do not give an interpretation or guidance on the law, .. it is up to the individual to satisfy themselves that they are driving within the law, and doing so safely.

Jim

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i actually have my fathers old red licence here in my hands .i cant find any reference to m,homes . its dated september 72 till september 75.he recently passed away and i found it in one of his tins of paper work. wish i,d kept more rubbish of my own life. there is reference to the additional licences for hgv/psv. that changed in 91 when the combined licence was first issued. any one can and should always make a reference with dvla. if only to reasure them selves , i usually ask for it in writing. the point is on a forum we can discuss and hopefully help other people ask the right questions. always follow a discusion on a forum with a check by the authorities be on the safe side. if in doubt dont do it your licence is a valuable key to travel. cheers alan.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Alan is there any ref to HEAVY MOTOR CAR on your dads old licence if memory serves me right this was the catagory M Homes fell into
DVLA info to Bullet guy was incorrect you can change taxation class from dissabled (free) to normal PLG by post we in the trade come across it many times, what you cant do is go to a post office and tax it and apply for a new V5 at the time of taxing as you would normally do
DVLA:Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi geo, page one .groups of vehicles.list .i:age 21and over,..A heavylocomotive,motor tractor,heavy motorcar,and motorcar,but excludingany vehiclecomprisedin group b,f,g,h,k,or l (see note1)
note 1,on page 5 says :an additional licence must be obtained before either a heavy goodsvehicle or a public service vehicle may be driven. no person under 21may drive a heavy goods vehicle,except persons of 17 and over who may drive certain small articulated vehicles.
i hope thats what you wanted .wish i could work the scanner and put it on the thread save alot of tapping.
before i passed my hgv i used to have a 32 seater bedford vega coach i drove it on a car licence .it was based on a 13 ton chassis. i later took my hgv, etc bought a dodge 13 ton truck to carry spares to shows etc. visiting lots of vw shows ,(ministry didnt like me using the bus as a truck, brakes not so good on buses. ). as i said earlier in 91 buses used not for hire or reward got took off licences by the back door. if you passed your driving test before may 1990 to claim entitlementto drive large pcv (more than 16 seats)but not for hire n reward.the entitlementis no longer valid unless theholder, before 31 march 1992 either took the test or claimed restricted entitlement, not for hire n reward. you also had to pass a medical and get proof of 2 years driving of large pcv signed by a proffesional person.
i started to manage trucks at about that time and have tried to keep up with the regs since then. i also ran my own workshops n garage so have lots of mot books here .packed up mot,s a few years ago so miss out a little bit there. cheers alan.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its interesting that construction and use regs.list all passenger vehicles as a variation of category M.and goods carring as category N. yet for some reason dvla think a m,home is a goods carrying vehicle.i thought they carried passengers. i believe thats probably why the big rv boys say what they do. bet they wont pay the fines though. alan.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Without going into the long running debate about what license is required for an RV over 7.5t GVW , the DVLA don't legislate, only interpret the existing legislation, and there is none for RVs.
Considering there must now be a few RV's driving around in the UK, they must have some kind of recognised and legally binding licence in order to drive the damn things on the road.

Is it HGV class 1,2 or 3....or can this guy drive away on his car licence? Thats all he wants to know.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
still doesnt help as it as no mention of weight. there is mention in some of the what you need to know about driving licences D100 7/07.page13 item 10. there it says to drive a motor home over 7.5 tonnes you require category c. but c is for goods .d is for passenger carrying .off we go back to the begining.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as i said earlier in 91 buses used not for hire or reward got took off licences by the back door. if you passed your driving test before may 1990 to claim entitlementto drive large pcv (more than 16 seats)but not for hire n reward.the entitlementis no longer valid unless theholder, before 31 march 1992 either took the test or claimed restricted entitlement, not for hire n reward..

i knew it !!!!!!

but no-one will believe me.

i knew i had this coach entitlement pre 1990 until i get my licence re-instated in 1993...DD10 endorsement....(for those that dont know what a DD10 is....drink driving). :Blush:.

never queried it at the time as i never thought id need it.:Doh:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back