Fulltiming Illegal? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would equally like to see you show the legislation Jim which says you must have a property.

It is totally reasonable that you must be contactable. Non of us would be pleased if we were hit by a vehicle and then told the owner was homeless and not contactable.

Being contactable is one thing, being forced how we live is another

stew

I never said such a thing, nor implied it.. there is no legislation that says you must have a property.. I bet a lot of homeless wish there was..

However , you agree, you must have an address to be legal.

Reason 1 , you cannot have insurance without an address , not even from Comfort

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I never said such a thing, nor implied it.. there is no legislation that says you must have a property.. I bet a lot of homeless wish there was..

However , you agree, you must have an address to be legal.

Reason 1 , you cannot have insurance without an address , not even from Comfort

I thought John said you could, as long as you paid the Full Timer premium, or did i read that wrong (again):Blush:

Link Removed Last paragraph

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I thought John said you could, as long as you paid the Full Timer premium, or did i read that wrong (again):Blush:

John has an address .. and a full time premium

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes Jim, but am I right when reading the last paragraph of their doc, that they only require an address if you have not paid the Full timer premium? Its not the best wording and could be misinterpreted, maybe the reciept for the full timer premium might be more enlightning.

Link Removed last para

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yes Jim, but am I right when reading the last paragraph of their doc, that they only require an address if you have not paid the Full timer premium? Its not the best wording and could be misinterpreted, maybe the reciept for the full timer premium might be more enlightning.

Link Removed last para

Yes, it is open to interpretation , however, I am absolutely positive they would not insure , full time or otherwise, without an address ..

This debate has been rumbling on for the past three years .. will they / wont they .. even Comfort refused to answer when they were asked.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes, it is open to interpretation , however, I am absolutely positive they would not insure , full time or otherwise, without an address ..

This debate has been rumbling on for the past three years .. will they / wont they .. even Comfort refused to answer when they were asked.

Yes I have asked them myself. But that fulltiming premium bit was not mentioned in their literature before, maybe I'll have to ask them again, :roflmto:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
All that they ask is that you are able to be contacted, as they have to send the cover note and other policy information somewhere. They also need to advise you of renewals etc. They do not ask that you maintain a residence if you pay the Full Timing premium.

John

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
All that they ask is that you are able to be contacted, as they have to send the cover note and other policy information somewhere. They also need to advise you of renewals etc. They do not ask that you maintain a residence if you pay the Full Timing premium.

John

Understood John ..

With most stuff now done on line , including insurance policies, maybe one day an email address will become acceptable .. ie a virtual home address . Would solve many full timing problems, somehow I doubt it ...

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Understood John ..

With most stuff now done on line , including insurance policies, maybe one day an email address will ever become acceptable .. ie a virtual home address . Would solve many full timing problems, somehow I doubt it ...

When I renewed the car they did offer to send the cover note by email but it needed a laser printer for it to be acceptable for renewing the car tax. Injet would not do. I suppose I could have saved it to a stick and had it printed at Protoprint or somewhere like that.

Things are moving in the e world Jim.

John

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Understood John ..

With most stuff now done on line , including insurance policies, maybe one day an email address will become acceptable .. ie a virtual home address . Would solve many full timing problems, somehow I doubt it ...

Now that could be an idea! Secure website where you could log in and recieve or have e-mailed back to you, pdf versions of your mail that had arrived! Not exactly secure mind you - depends who is transcribing or copying your mail!

As for a fulltime premium - this would always be there, and is there due to the much higher risk of accidental fire etc and all the problems that go with it such as rehoming you, rather than giving you a loan car or hotel room for the rest of the week!

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I was of the understanding that, although you are full-time in your motorhome, you own a house.

Under the current laws, because your house is not your main residence, THE HOUSE is classed as a holiday home/second home - therefore is not eligible for any tax relief.

The motorhome is irrellevant as it is exempt anyway. It is the occupancy of the house that matters.

No, at the moment I at home in the house more that I am on the road.

Doug...

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Certainly is a Minefield Wivvey, Me and the Wahine were thinking of doing the old "Grey Nomad" bit around OZ! Starting to have a few doubts after reading some of these posts, BUT!, it certainly was one of the more interesting forums, keep it up fellas!

and just for once! :thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We are with the NFU - we are long time customers 25+ years. We fulltime and hold full time insurance - our daughter and son in law live in our house and technically for all purposes so do we. Insurance is paid on monthly DD which means it never ever runs out this avoids any trouble with lost post or mislaid payments. Today I had a tumble down stairs and had suspected broken ankle so rushed to hospital - first question date of birth second post code up comes all details and in for Triage - Xray - proves just a sprain - pain killers and off I go - couple behind me at check in were still answering questions when I went off all sorted - appeared from what I overheard they did not have a current post code or doctor so full investigation before treatment. Tracebility pays even if it is on your terms

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
sorry to bring this one up again all :Cool:

I am just about to fill out the electoral role.. the form asks for the previous address, and council..

I lived on a farm site, as far as I know legally.. and used the farmhoue as my address.. I have no idea wether I paid CTax :Eeek: I really dont want a bill for 3 years hitting me :( .. I could ask the previous landlord i guess.. I was paying £300 a month :Eeek: I was not on the electoral role there.. I was led to believe that Council tax was somehow being taken care of..

hmm...

John

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Sorry all, this should have been tacked on to ScotJim's post about the same subject.. have just contacted the site warden asking if anything was paid from my rent for C tax, and the text I got back was 'Caravans dont pay Council tax!'

so.. it looks like there is a chance I am up the creek..

If so, then Fulltiming for me was a relatively expensive mistake... for this and other reasons..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi John

If they don't know where you were, can you not say you have no previous address, ' no fixed abode' as you were traveling.

If a person has no fixed abode he shall be treated as having his sole or main residence in the place where he is at any particular time.
—Local Government Finance Act 1988
A person may wish to provide a temporary forwarding address to ease contacting them, or the locating of their where-abouts can be left as an exercise to the sender.

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks Jim..

two things..

I paid rent to the farm (a ltd company) via a bank Standing Order, and also used the farmhouse for most of my addresses.. so I guess I can be traced, or by saying NFA I am lying..

also, does the electoral role care about council tax? I mean, you dont even have to go on the role although it does your credit rating no good.. am I worrying about nothing? you got your bill delivered to your the van, I have been away from there now for nearly a year (backpakcing, and moving) although the van remained there until this april.. i.e. I am long gone..

I was never trying to hide under radar to be honest, just assumed that either I didnt pay CT or it was covered in my rent :)

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
John, how many people lived at this farm?

If more than one I would have thought give the address and all would be fine, remeber this is council tax not poll tax so unless the farmed was on his own and claiming a discount you should in theory be fine, just my thought?

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks Simon..
well between 5 and 8 Ft's I guess.. plus normal holidayers

the farmhouse is almost a single occupancy.. (it's a b and b but with the manageress living there Full Time alone I think)

if asked, I suppose I could say i stayed at the b and b but just slept ouitside all the time ;)

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
An interesting thread. I found these services on the net regarding forwarding mail. The first one opens and scans your mail and forwards it to you via email

http://www.scanmypost.co.uk/

This one provides you with a postal address and forwards the actual mail to you

http://www.expatmail.co.uk/

Im not sure what I will do. I think I will just get stuff mailed to my sister and have her open it and scan it and email any important stuff.

On the subject of Insurance. Im currently with Safeguard on their 365 policy. If I have a UK address but travel full time coming back once a year will I be covered or is Comfort the only way. I currently pay about £320 a year fully comp.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
An interesting thread. I found these services on the net regarding forwarding mail. The first one opens and scans your mail and forwards it to you via email

http://www.scanmypost.co.uk/

This one provides you with a postal address and forwards the actual mail to you

http://www.expatmail.co.uk/

Im not sure what I will do. I think I will just get stuff mailed to my sister and have her open it and scan it and email any important stuff.

On the subject of Insurance. Im currently with Safeguard on their 365 policy. If I have a UK address but travel full time coming back once a year will I be covered or is Comfort the only way. I currently pay about £320 a year fully comp.

Check for trip limits in your insurance Barry. Comfort still require a contact address even for Full Timing cover but it does not have to be a residental address, maintained by you either owned or rented.

A trusted relative is the best option for mail IMHO

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back