Fulltimers keeping warm? (1 Viewer)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Just wondering what outdoor temps fulltimers are experiencing in various locations of the world?

Here in the Midlands area i recorded -5.5c at 0900hr today from my weather station.

UK is NOT the best place to be for anyone in a m/h at the moment.....no matter how good your heating is!

9g91r5.jpg

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
-10.3 here in Cynghordy this morning and we still have snow from sunday ! We have one motorhome in and lady says she is warm as toast so her heating is working.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We are fine too thanks.. only using the leccy heating , LPG is for back up if there is a power failure..

1 x 800 w oil filled heater in lounge
1 x 700 w oil filled heather in kitchen
1 x 200 w heater in toilet
1 x 800 w oil filled heater in bedroom
1 x 200 w heater in basement to keep pipes from freezing

total = 2.7 kw

18:55 hrs
Indoor temp 18c
outdoor - 1c

how many houses can stay comfy using less than 3kw ?

The two LPG warm air heating furnaces can chuck out about 6 kw and drink LPG like it's going out of fashion :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
-10.3 here in Cynghordy this morning and we still have snow from sunday ! We have one motorhome in and lady says she is warm as toast so her heating is working.

Bet your meter is too!:Doh::RollEyes:

Don't let Mark read this:winky:

:roflmto::ROFLMAO::roflmto::ROFLMAO:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Like Scotjimland, we have a 2.5Kw oil-filled radiator in the lounge - full on - and a 500 watt oil-filled radiator bar in the bedroom - a combination of both keeps our 36ft RV at around 66 or 67 degrees. True we also have a de-humidifier going full time - and we limit the times that we open the main door - and we wear warm woolly sweaters.
We have the tank heaters on (they only operate when the belly locker drops below zero) and we have the two furnaces set to come on should the temperature fall below 60 inside the RV (which it hasn't yet).

Sorry Bulletguy - even with my wife being unable to move around like most people - and the temperature here at around -3, we are as happy as bugs in a rug.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
....how many houses can stay comfy using less than 3kw ?
Few if any i imagine Jim!

The two LPG warm air heating furnaces can chuck out about 6 kw and drink LPG like it's going out of fashion :RollEyes:
Ever given a diesel heater (Eberspacher or Webasto) a go?
My campervan has a Webasto blown air diesel heater and at these kind of temps i switch it on for 15 or 20 minutes before setting off for work. Chucks a fair bit of heat out and uses very little fuel though attracts some odd looks from folk as it sounds like a jet engine powering up!

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We fitted a new c/h furnace at the start of the winter, maybe thats one of my better ideas!?!?
It has been below 0c all day and we still have snow on the ground, NO MUD!!
Last night it was -8 at Lakenheath, a stones-throw from us.
Nigel & Pamala
19.20---------------- -3 outside 20 inside

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Might be as cold as 76f tonight and 81f during the day :sin:

Oh I forgot to add.........Here in Florida.:Blush:

Last edited:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Oh, "baby-does" - Mick N Pat - hope the ice melts before you can get it into your drinks glasses!

Yiou'll pay for that when you get back - I promise. I've started work on the VooDoo doll already :Eeek:

Last edited:

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
South Morocco - down to 3C at night, high teens in day with cold breeze and plenty of sunlight

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font VendĂ´me
Exp
Since 2004
Had to take van to Skipton today for a couple af small jobs. Knowing the forecast bought a new can of de icer. Opened it up this morning ... no button:Eeek: Took us 40 mins to clear the windscreen on tickover. :Blush:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Sods Law!!

Had to take van to Skipton today for a couple af small jobs. Knowing the forecast bought a new can of de icer. Opened it up this morning ... no button:Eeek: Took us 40 mins to clear the windscreen on tickover. :Blush:

The header says it all!! Bloody Murphy strikes again!!

The Battery on my "toad" gave up this morning, (-1) still I think its as old as the car (1998) so it`s not done toooo bad! New Battery ÂŁ22-89 from local Motor factors!!.

pete

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Few if any i imagine Jim!

Ever given a diesel heater (Eberspacher or Webasto) a go?
My campervan has a Webasto blown air diesel heater and at these kind of temps i switch it on for 15 or 20 minutes before setting off for work. Chucks a fair bit of heat out and uses very little fuel though attracts some odd looks from folk as it sounds like a jet engine powering up!

We lived with a Eberspacher for 4 years when we lived on a boat, never again I found it unreleiable noisy and dammed expensive to repair.

I use gas now and on the whole counting initial cost plus maintainence plust fuel cost to be the cheapest option.

Doug

M

maxx

Deleted User
We are fine too thanks.. only using the leccy heating , LPG is for back up if there is a power failure..

1 x 800 w oil filled heater in lounge
1 x 700 w oil filled heather in kitchen
1 x 200 w heater in toilet
1 x 800 w oil filled heater in bedroom
1 x 200 w heater in basement to keep pipes from freezing

total = 2.7 kw

18:55 hrs
Indoor temp 18c
outdoor - 1c

how many houses can stay comfy using less than 3kw ?

morning it got down to minus 5 in southsea jim can i ask what locker do you put heater as my pipes are starting to freeze plus if i want to change my coolant where do i drain it from hope you had a good christmas thanx

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
morning it got down to minus 5 in southsea jim can i ask what locker do you put heater as my pipes are starting to freeze plus if i want to change my coolant where do i drain it from hope you had a good christmas thanx

Hi

I installed the heater in the sewage locker, under the black and grey tanks ..

see this thread Link Removed

I've not drained my coolant so can't say, but I'll have a look in the Cummins manual and get back to you

Jim

Heater in locker :

Link Removed

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Maxx

Just read the Cummins manual..

Drain the system by opening the drain valve on the radiator and removing the plug in the bottom of the water inlet .. capacity is around 20 litre

Filling

Fill slowly to prevent air locks, air must be vented from engine cooling passages, be sure to open the petcock on the after cooler ( if fitted )

There is a lot more info on flushing etc .. if I get time I'll scan and send to you..

Jim

M

maxx

Deleted User
frozen pipes

thanks i shall go to b&q an get 1 my locker layout is slightly different and so dont have as much room as you but will fit it in some how :thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Based in Shropshire, average temp at night about -4, so water tank frozen up so no showers etc. however the inside is whatever you want it and water is heated via the kettle for strip washes etc. The views are fantastic where i am, TV available (digital) and books everywhere ! 25ÂŁ on its way for a wrinkly (me) because the temp has been below 0 for 7 days !.....who cares !!!!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back