Full Water ?? (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
In a couple of recent threads relating to motorhome weight , many stated carrying "full water" , why ?
Every gallon uses 10 pounds of your payload and costs you fuel.

If wilding , yes I understand, but when using sites , why not fill up when arriving.

I never carry full water even though I have stacks of spare payload, I see no point.
We boil all water from tank and carry a 1 gallon container of bottled water for drinking cold.
Each to there own.(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I get your point, Bro.... (y)

We have the payload,,,, but what I hate is making a cuppa Tea or Coffee and finding limey scale like stuff floating about..

And not to mention the kettle furring up...

What is the inside of the boiler like... :(

Hence we alway`s have a tank full from home and some in a 20 litre container... for more than a week`s trip,, and buy bottled water for hot drinks and cooking if we run out of our own..

In nearly 3 years we have never had to descale a kettle at home... pure as the driven snow our water... (y)

Ours is the same. I hate 'foreign' water.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My point was however that a 3500kg gvw payload of maybe 500kg or less would be more than compromised by a full water tank weighing perhaps 120kg.
As others have said the MIRO, which is used to calculate the payload, includes full tank of water. So no need to take the water into account.

What I like about motorhoming is not knowing where I am going to stop until I decide to stop. That may be a wild camp, or an Aire or a campsite. But I do not want to be limited in my choice to places where I can get water. So I always carry enough water.

And when going to rallies/meets I always carry full water to save having to join the fill up queue when I get there.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
As we use aires we always carry full tank. Nothing worse than arriving on an air with little water only to find that the aire water is hors de service

A full tank can last a whole week unless you are having showers everyday.
In my van 2 showers will use a quarter of a tank so I still wont have to worry about water for 4 days

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
A full tank can last a whole week unless you are having showers everyday.
In my van 2 showers will use a quarter of a tank so I still wont have to worry about water for 4 days
We both shower every morning. And cooking, and toilet, and lots of tea.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
As others have said the MIRO, which is used to calculate the payload, includes full tank of water. So no need to take the water into account.

What I like about motorhoming is not knowing where I am going to stop until I decide to stop. That may be a wild camp, or an Aire or a campsite. But I do not want to be limited in my choice to places where I can get water. So I always carry enough water.

And when going to rallies/meets I always carry full water to save having to join the fill up queue when I get there.

I do not believe that is always the case, some manufacturers include 75kg for driver, full fuel, and some water etc before quoting usable payload, others do not.
I am thinking of buying a new Itineo SB720, the spec shows ulw 2980kg , gvw 3500kgs , load capacity 520kgs.
Neither driver , fuel or water are included in this load capacity and therefore reduce usable payload.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
There is the difference. We don't shower everyday. We don't flush the loo, (I can P faster) it just fills the cassette quicker - with fresh water.
We do carry drinking water in 5ltr x 2 bottles. The major usage is going to be the washing up but as there is only the two of us a litre or three a day would cover that. We have all day to find water on the evenings we are going to have a shower, it has never been a problem and then I only fill it half full. We could always put of a shower in an emergency, but in 3 years we have never needed to.
I can't bare the thought of dragging gallons of water with us for days on end. Its so inefficient, I'm sure every body checks their tyre pressure, to maximise MPG -----------and then tow a full tank of water with them.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Not really sure what this thread is about-is it ,do you travel with full tanks,or is do you fill tanks when going to weigh bridge ?
I go to weigh bridge with all tanks full,packed for a 3mth trip,bikes on back,Carolyn in her seat.
Then I know how much wine I can buy (y)
I also travel with fresh tank full,knowing that if I've bought stuff that puts me over weight-I can lose 100ltrs straight away.

Greytop

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hyner Swing 544
Exp
On and off since 1985
Full water tank in my case is 80 litres, which weighs 80 kg approximately equal to one slightly overweight man. If we are talking a diesel Motorhome the impact on mpg is negligible to say the least.
Far more convenient than topping up the tank in the rain on arrival somewhere or worse still waiting behind some slow, gormless twit who insists on spending half an hour at the Motorhome station, while he searches for the correct tap connector and grinning inanely.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Not really sure what this thread is about-is it ,do you travel with full tanks,or is do you fill tanks when going to weigh bridge ?
I go to weigh bridge with all tanks full,packed for a 3mth trip,bikes on back,Carolyn in her seat.
Then I know how much wine I can buy (y)
I also travel with fresh tank full,knowing that if I've bought stuff that puts me over weight-I can lose 100ltrs straight away.

The thread is about the risk , if driving with full water of exceeding gvw.
Yes, you could dump water if stopped and weighed by DVSA (vosa) but in the event of an accident an insurance company looking for a cop out could invalidate your insurance, costly to say the least.

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Full water tank, full fuel tank, full throttle
driving.gif

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We always travel with full water............

Except on the leg from Calais back to Scotland :) Then we empty the water so that we can get another 100 kg of wine on board :)

About an extra 75 to 80 bottles :D:D:D

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
The thread is about the risk , if driving with full water of exceeding gvw.
Yes, you could dump water if stopped and weighed by DVSA (vosa) but in the event of an accident an insurance company looking for a cop out could invalidate your insurance, costly to say the least.

Ah,right-well now,I try to be within all the 'terms and conditions' but if insurance wants to get out of paying,they will I reckon.
I pay for insurance to be legal on the road,and don't really expect any more from it these days.
I cured myself of the 'What if Syndrome' yrs ago-it can become debilitating.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
There is the difference. We don't shower everyday. We don't flush the loo, (I can P faster) it just fills the cassette quicker - with fresh water.
We do carry drinking water in 5ltr x 2 bottles. The major usage is going to be the washing up but as there is only the two of us a litre or three a day would cover that. We have all day to find water on the evenings we are going to have a shower, it has never been a problem and then I only fill it half full. We could always put of a shower in an emergency, but in 3 years we have never needed to.
I can't bare the thought of dragging gallons of water with us for days on end. Its so inefficient, I'm sure every body checks their tyre pressure, to maximise MPG -----------and then tow a full tank of water with them.

We prefer to shower each day, particularly in hot weather and we find a short shower with a just usable flow takes about ten litres for both of us. Then there is the washing up after breakfast, lunch and dinner and flushing the toilet none of which we feel the need to compromise on. Our 100 litre tank lasts two day comfortably and three if careful. The only concession we make if trying to save water is using a spray bottle with a solution of toilet tank fluid after a P instead if the full flush.

I don't see a need to compromise living standards when away for a couple of months at a time, especially when water is very easy and cheap to obtain. Neither do we compromise on food and drink, we always have enough food in the freezer for four/five days as well as tinned and fresh veg and fruit, , Grocery shopping is easy in markets and supermarkets. We have a complete change of clothes each day and coin operated laundry facilities are available in most towns and, particularly usefully at many supermarkets. Stop for lunch and a spot of shopping and do the washing t the same time, about and hour and a half later leave re stocked and refreshed. Simples.

We do keep correct tyre presures for comfort and safety but, to be honest I think the difference a full or empty water tank makes is minimal and not even worth considering in the sale of things.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back