LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Our friends paid a lot for storage for ornaments etc. Five years they were fulltiming, they could have gone out and brought brand new things and had fun buying them, we stored a few bits but we found if they could fit into a caravan that’s what we would do, store them in there. It was so much cheaper, buying a very old water tight caravan and storing in that rather than paying for a container to store.

After visiting a few third world countries we realised that people there were happy but had nothing. What we have are only ‘things’. They could be replaced when needed. When we moved back into a house we purchased all secondhand so we had everything we needed straight away and replace with new as and when.

We have moved on again, renting our house out, whilst setting up a home in a portugal. The rent and our pensions gives us a nice life here. If you are lucky enough to be able to do so, that’s the route we have taken again, having done it twice already. We sold everything that we didn’t need, have brought the rest of our stuff down here, once our building (little home) is done, what doesn’t fit in, will be sold on or thrown away.

If it’s at all possible, and you need the collateral in your house, downsize and rent that out. We have our house near to American airbases, we will only let our house to American servicemen/women. The landlord has more rights than if you rent to English tenants. If you have any problems, ie rent not paid, damage or nuisance to neighbours, you just report to the base and it’s sorted. Also the rent is almost twice what you would get from English tenants. As far as we are concerned it’s a no-brainier.

Nov 29, 2019
Hume, Scottish Borders, Kelso, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Amethyst
Exp
Since Feb 29th 2020
I worked for 5 years after my retirement knowing I couldn't afford rent, council tax, etc., when I stopped. Spoke to my local council to find out my options. In order to get a council flat (not of my choice) I would have to prove eligibility by going into arrears with my landlord etc. Not something I was particularly comfortable with.
Then I began to learn about people full timing in Motor Caravans. Sounded appealing. Mulled it over for a while then started looking into it. Decided, encouraged by my estranged wife, to do it. I started by selling my rather too expensive car, motorcycle and collection of guitars :cry:
It was hard. Eventually, I had funds enough to start looking for a MoHo. My funds were limited and I wanted to have an emergency fund to fall back on if needed. So, I ended up with an Auto Sleeper Amethyst 1995 model. It was a gamble. Such an old van. The milage was low but might have been around the clock already for all I know. Iv'e been driving vans for many years and knew that, with minimum maitainence they could go on for ever, so took the plunge.
Having acquired my van (named Birdie by my estranged wife) was taken and left with a local caravan servicing establishment for a Gaslow refillable system and solar panel fitting. Also a Ford Transit expert to check over as well.
Now came the hard part; getting free of everything. Books, CD's, DVD's, pictures, pots and pans, cutlery, clothes (unwanted), etc., etc. Most was given to charity shops, some sold, at give away prices. Painful.
I cannot lie; I miss my guitars, my very expensive camera system but all was done. Is done. Gone.
So, using my sons address as a base for all correspondence and insurance, all necessary parties informed, I set off on February 29th of this year with my lovely Whippet, Zippee, who's companionship is priceless.
Barely a month later Covid 19 struck. We were staying at Kinlochewe Caravan and Motorhome Club site and were woken early on Sunday 22nd March and informed that all their sites were closing and we had to leave.
To cut a rather overlong tale short; Zippee and I went to the Motorhome Fun Community for help and were blessed indeed to be put in touch with Helen and Martin in the Scottish Borders who allowed me to park in their driveway with EHU, black water disposal and fresh water. We stayed here during the lockdown and still visit regularly with an open door invitation.
In conclusion, the most painful part of this process is the insurance for the van. If you are honest, as I was, and admit you are full timing, expect it to be 4 times normal, if you can find someone to insure you.
Can't wait for restrictions to be lifted so we can go over to France where public opinion is more accommodating of Motorhomers.
There's much more to tell but I need a drink. I expect you do too.

Attachments

• C64E0E30-3CF2-4EBA-AE59-A2363EDF02BC.jpeg
    C64E0E30-3CF2-4EBA-AE59-A2363EDF02BC.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 29

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back