Full timing in Europe post brexit (1 Viewer)

Pyke13

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Funster No

this thread is not about your view on brexit, there's other threads for that!!!

Will it be possible to full time abroad after brexit?
My plan for a few years now has been to move to France, travel and work as I feel like or need to. With the occasional trip round the rest of Europe
Mainly to Germany visiting my son and Spain for winter.
Will it be possible just to glide under the radar or will I need visas ect
Anyone have any idea how it worked before we were in the EU?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
this thread is not about your view on brexit, there's other threads for that!!!

Will it be possible to full time abroad after brexit?
My plan for a few years now has been to move to France, travel and work as I feel like or need to. With the occasional trip round the rest of Europe
Mainly to Germany visiting my son and Spain for winter.
Will it be possible just to glide under the radar or will I need visas ect
Anyone have any idea how it worked before we were in the EU?
think you better move to the eu and get residency.

before we joined you got entry to each country . at the borders of each country . a stamp in stamp out . now its all one state . so time in is time for all as one . not each smaller country.
move over there get residency then you should be able to freely move from one to another.
i cant remember the times we were allowed in each country ,but as a kid most winters we travelled did france , belgium ,holland ,germany swiss then back . might do france swiss austria italy ,turkey then back .
france spain portugal ,spain france and back.
i remember the borders some easy some hard .
dont sit still move around make them count and count again . better in my dads bus . stand at the front then crouch and move to the rear.
but really every border was different .
of course now there isnt any borders as such . but as a uk citizen we will be booked in and booked out . break the time limmits at our peril. i,m sure visa extensions might be available but it might be awkward .
we shall just have to wait and see.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Pyke13

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Funster No
I was thinking I could go the week before we leave as a EU citizen and just stay there. I know that would make me an illegal immigrant.
Once I'm there if I have no contact with the authorities who's to know I'm there?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I was thinking I could go the week before we leave as a EU citizen and just stay there. I know that would make me an illegal immigrant.
Once I'm there if I have no contact with the authorities who's to know I'm there?
they know your there as your passport is swiped either in uk or there and everyone knows when you went over or didnt come back. but try it if you must . vehicles need rules etc etc .
dont expect support though if you get caught . but i,m sure many will give it a go.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Hmmm! We go over a hard border ie; The Channel which is easy to control for Passport/Visa checks but what about the rest of Europe there are no hard borders you simply drive through.

I can’t see them setting up a system whereby all Vehicles and UK Citizens are shuttled through for document checks.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Should have mentioned from Country to Country as each might take a different view on it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Hmmm! We go over a hard border ie; The Channel which is easy to control for Passport/Visa checks but what about the rest of Europe there are no hard borders you simply drive through.

I can’t see them setting up a system whereby all Vehicles and UK Citizens are shuttled through for document checks.
but the one passport control gives all the outer borders the time etc you crossed in . police etc all will know on a simple check.
you may get away staying , but leaving you will get caught , possibly punished .
remember passports , driving licences etc all have dates that run out . or pics that run out .
it really isnt hard to see how they catch you.
eu is eu counts as one state not seperate countries in reality

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
I found this on a web site that advises travellers from non eu countries

Americans, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, etc. can only stay in the Schengen Area (without a special visa) for a period of 90 days within an 180 day period.

If you leave the Schengen Area, the countdown clock stops and doesn’t start until you enter it again. Once you reach your 90-day limit, you have to stay out for an additional 90 days.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I found this on a web site that advises travellers from non eu countries

Americans, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, etc. can only stay in the Schengen Area (without a special visa) for a period of 90 days within an 180 day period.

If you leave the Schengen Area, the countdown clock stops and doesn’t start until you enter it again. Once you reach your 90-day limit, you have to stay out for an additional 90 days.
thats the rules i think we shall be under .
although we werent ,arent a schengen country we had special rules for us as part of being in the club.
once we leave we should be tret as none club members .

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Always were rules about staying in Europe - no bother with staying or working (illegally) in the 70s and 80s when I was there.... why would they make it difficult for us to travel and spend?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I lived, worked and travelled in Europe long before the borders were opened up. It was not much different then other than slower getting through borders. Only the old Commy block countries were a bit tricky. As has already been said, EU countries are not going to start manning border posts to check UK passports now they are open. I dont know of one Johnny Foreigner who is going to say "Sorry Englander, we dont want your cash." I truly believe nothing much will change after Brexit finally is sorted. My semi tame professor is still working in Munich and starts a new EU funded job next October in Geneva, so they have not barred us from working in the EU.

OP
OP
P

Pyke13

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Funster No
Insurance would be thru a British company using the address I use just now, mot and tax are uk things not Europe. As far as I'm aware there's no legal requirement to have them in mainland Europe.
Passport and driving license renewal can be done thru the post, again using the address I use now.
Ok so they would know I had entered mainland Europe and not left but that's about it. I don't think they would come looking for me.
Is it not just a case of, they can't find me so I'm fine and if they find me I will get kicked out n back to the uk

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Insurance would be thru a British company using the address I use just now, mot and tax are uk things not Europe. As far as I'm aware there's no legal requirement to have them in mainland Europe.
Passport and driving license renewal can be done thru the post, again using the address I use now.
Ok so they would know I had entered mainland Europe and not left but that's about it. I don't think they would come looking for me.
Is it not just a case of, they can't find me so I'm fine and if they find me I will get kicked out n back to the uk

Well - you should stick to the rules that apply after Brexit and why should you be any different to the rest of us?

As for vehicle tax, mot, and insurance - to Travel in Europe these all have to be in order and within their expiry times - the rules now! After Brexit these might get more difficult - who knows! :)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968

Your awareness is lacking , anywhere you travel you need the original country legality , so current MOT and insurance , and road tax. In some countries you can buy insurance at the border . In some countries eg China , you have to have all local requirements , eg they even give you new number plates . If you get caught with
non complying vehicle , some places will immediately confiscate.

Somehow I dont think you will pass the attitude test on your first encounter .
If you can afford to lose the lot , and get deported go for it .

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Since the UK has 10s of thousands of non UK citizens who have overstayed their visas and can’t control it I can’t see them chasing people up that overstay.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The truth is @Pyke13 that Christ alone knows what's going to be happening by Easter 2019, but look on the bright side - we got our country back :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

The requirement at present is that to be legal in the EU the vehicle has to be legal in the registered country. Tax,insurance,mot.
Under the 'Great UK repeal bill' the requirement will remain the same until altered ,or not , by the UK parliament.

OP
OP
P

Pyke13

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Funster No
Your awareness is lacking , anywhere you travel you need the original country legality , so current MOT and insurance , and road tax. In some countries you can buy insurance at the border . In some countries eg China , you have to have all local requirements , eg they even give you new number plates . If you get caught with
non complying vehicle , some places will immediately confiscate.

Somehow I dont think you will pass the attitude test on your first encounter .
If you can afford to lose the lot , and get deported go for it .

I have no intention of leaving mainland Europe never mind going to China!!!

Why don't you think I will pass an attitude test?

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We’ve just had an offer accepted on a property here in France, and in five years time we hope to become French citizens. This is not an “up yours brexiters” post, this is just what works for us. We have found that we love France and we want to be part of the EU. I sincerely hope that those of you who voted for Brexit get what you hoped for and that the U.K. and the EU can continue to co-operate for the benefit of everyone.

OP
OP
P

Pyke13

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Funster No
If you get French residency and happen o need a builder/landscape gardner. I may have a proposition for you.

I'm not pro or anti brexit, same as I wasn't pro or anti independence
I haven't ever voted in my life and have no intention too.
I'm not fulltiming I'm off grid, n I mean as far off grid as I can get.

I thought independence was right for Scotland but with the oil industry crash globally it may not have been the right decision, I'm guessing time will tell if brexit is the right decision or not, nothing we can change now.

I like my EU citizenship, for my own personal reasons, the same reasons that lead me to investigate what options are available to me. If that means I have to bend a few rules I will. If I get caught then it's on my own head and I will stand up and take the punishment

I was a wild child in my teens and early 20's, a hat means I'm terrified I won't be able to get a visa to enter the EU. If I can't get a visa I can't visit my son!!!

That makes a lot of difference to what I'm willing to try, how far would you go to be able to keep in contact with your child

Reactions: Pia
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
We’ve just had an offer accepted on a property here in France, and in five years time we hope to become French citizens. This is not an “up yours brexiters” post, this is just what works for us. We have found that we love France and we want to be part of the EU. I sincerely hope that those of you who voted for Brexit get what you hoped for and that the U.K. and the EU can continue to co-operate for the benefit of everyone.

If life is so great in France can you tell me why 'immigrants' are trying to get from France to the UK and not the other way round?

Sometimes Brits have a 'romantic' idea for life in another country, as an expat (years ago) I concluded that most expats, apart from retirees, were trying to escape debt, tax, or prosecution........

.......but eh.....I'm just an old cynic................

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If life is so great in France can you tell me why 'immigrants' are trying to get from France to the UK and not the other way round?

Sometimes Brits have a 'romantic' idea for life in another country, as an expat (years ago) I concluded that most expats, apart from retirees, were trying to escape debt, tax, or prosecution........

.......but eh.....I'm just an old cynic................

To a degree I agree with you , lots of people think there is a "garden of Eden" , but even "Eden" usually have downsides. It does sometimes take a while to discoverer them , and also it is very dependent on individual circumstances pertaining at the time.
It is also very dependent at being somewhere at the right period of time , as places change all the time .
Its also good to not burn bridges, and have a backup plan :)

But its better to have done it rather regretting you didnt , so best of Luck for trying (y)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I have no intention of leaving mainland Europe never mind going to China!!!

Why don't you think I will pass an attitude test?

What you posted after I posted , confirmed my observation .
You mention your past activities , and the resultant problem you envisage that causing you , but then go on along the same path by saying about bending rules, and ignoring others . I am not saying you need to become a saint but you need to risk assess better .
Re read some of the other posts and what the general trend is of the advice , and try going with the flow , as suggested , might start giving you better outcomes . I hope you get the end result you want .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back