Full timing in a smallish van (1 Viewer)

wanderer086

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
we live in our motorhome.
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
We have been fulltiming in an old Hymer S555 which measures 19ft long. Being new to the site I checked for people living in vans and they all seem to be in vans that are a lot bigger than this. Are there any people out there who are in smaller vans?

We have been fulltiming for 3years and love it. The only drawback that we have found is, we never have any holidays!!!

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi wanderer086 and :welcome:to MHFun.:thumb:
Seems that life is one big long holiday for you.::bigsmile:
Just remember size isn't important.:winky::ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Wanderer, I think you should full time in the smallest vehicle that you can live with. Then you are not restricted in your choice of wanderings. In Spain especially I have seen little vans with full-timers parked up in well hidden spots overlooking sea or lakes, makes me really jealous, especially as in Spain as I will be in a 34ft RV and live outside it only going in to sleep, (may as well have a tent) However for me, in not so sunny climes, with a large family, a small van would be hell on earth:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We have been fulltiming for 3years and love it. The only drawback that we have found is, we never have any holidays!!!

That's exactly what we have found.. three years on and one of the many reasons we are going back to bricks and mortar ..

Living in a van is not the same as taking holidays in one.. we are going to downsize and do more trips with a smaller van..

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Hi and welcome , we also fulltime and over a 5-6 year period constantly changed our van supposedly as upgrades -always bigger . The best van was the first one Dethleffs 6501 Swedish spec. ie bloody superb heating system . The moral of my prattling is the grass is most definitely not always greener. We started at about 21' rising to 25' couldn't park apart from campsite started towing motorbikes then 1 bike and 1 car etc etc. The larger you go it can cause you complications ....it all depends on you at the end of the day. As a final comment i sold my last motorhome and was enticed by the living space that a 5th wheeler gives , i just hope we are finally settled on what is right for US . Enjoy it Alan

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We are currently 4 months in to our year fulltiming (although it will be longer if I have my way :Smile: ) in a Mondial which is 20ft long.

Really the only thing we would change is having to make up the bed every day if fulltiming permanently but so far it has been fine and we feel completely at home here. I've been surprised how little we've missed our house.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We live in our fifth wheel and also have a truck camper. Sometimes we go away in the fifth wheel, but mostly it's in the truck camper, we call that our holiday home, same vehicle used for both. When we retire, we intend spending our summer time in the fifth wheel in the UK and then in the winter take the truck camper into Europe. We have very secure storage sorted for one while we are in the other at £228.00 per year.

Nigel and Pamala

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi wanderer086

WELCOME to the fun.:winky:

Plenty of people are never happy with what they have chosen, I guess it does not matter what size van you have as long as it's right for you and does all you want, in which case you are happy.:RollEyes:

Long may you continue to enjoy it.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Wanderer

Welcome to the forum! :thumb:

As long as your van ticks all your boxes then you have the perfect vehicle.

Enjoy! (Sounds like you already are) :Smile:

Paul

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Welcome ::bigsmile:

We half time - six months away, six months home. Our van is 5.64 metres long but has a fixed full-size (pull down) permanent bed that does not preclude someone being in the living quarters when pulled down, a dinette, separate shower, fully winterised, and a high degree of independence (on board genny, 150L water tank.)

It works fine for us - and we changed from a 32-foot RV and car. The flexibility allows us to tour at will and park where we like. It's a different form of motorhoming but now we prefer it.

:Smile:
Keith

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
This could prove an interesting thread.

On my proposed early retirement plan i'm currently torn between 'downsizing' to a small flat (if i manage to sell my house), and going for a small camper/mh and just going away for a few months. Or having no flat at all and going for a large (ish) but useable motorhome which would be more liveable 24/7.

Whilst the internal space given by RV's is well known, i've ruled those out of the equation due to too many minus points.....weight, site restrictions, not to mention appalling fuel consumption figures.

Must admit though, i take my hat off to anyone able to live 24/7 in 19ft of mh.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
This could prove an interesting thread.

On my proposed early retirement plan i'm currently torn between 'downsizing' to a small flat (if i manage to sell my house), and going for a small camper/mh and just going away for a few months. Or having no flat at all and going for a large (ish) but useable motorhome which would be more liveable 24/7.

Whilst the internal space given by RV's is well known, i've ruled those out of the equation due to too many minus points.....weight, site restrictions, not to mention appalling fuel consumption figures.

Must admit though, i take my hat off to anyone able to live 24/7 in 19ft of mh.

But we do it every winter, our MH is 21.5 ft, are we full/part timers then? It can be easy to expand your living space with the likes of awnings or even trailers carrying not only your car but plenty of other odds & ends, & not give up the freedom of the smaller MH.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi wanderer 086, :welcome: to Motorhome Fun. I got talking to a full timer at Stratford Show, he and his wife were very nice and live in a little Hymer, and they always Marshall the shows on the Hymer Rallies,:winky: would that be you.::bigsmile: If not you will have to look out for them.:thumb: Bob.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
IMHO it's not so much about length, it's more about layout. I've been fulltiming since Dec 07 in an Adria @23' long. It has a fixed rear bed which is in a way, wasted living space.
My next van will be an A class with a pull down bed, a large lounge at the rear, and probably no more than 20' long, maybe even less.
I'm looking around for a newish LHD version but they are like hens teeth, extremely rare.

Pete:Cool:

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
I've nearly finished converting mine and was thinking about it and have a few ideas about how to survive and where to park etc, I have a good job and also do contract work so would have to tow my estate car and look for somewhere to stay its either that or quit the job do full time contracting and my other ideas.

I will decide when I've finished the conversion and been out in it a few times to get used to it and make sure everything is how i want it.

But i dont think you cxan full time when you know at the back of your head you have a house or flat to run back to

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi we went out one night for drinks with a couple who had done 3 years in a transit self convertion and that was in spain with no intention to go home long may they roam. Pete:thumb::thumb:

optiminx

Free Member
Mar 28, 2009
Funster No
Count your blessings

I envy you, we lived for a year in a little old Sherpa Newlander on the drive of a house we were renovating. I wish we hadn't bothered with the house, I loved living in the van even when we didn't go anywhere! One thing I lreally appreciated was that I could clean the whole thing top to bottom in an hour - even the ceiling - and that was my housework done for the week, apart from sweeping. :Smile:
I'd live in one again like a shot if only my husband would! So many places beckon!

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi we only had a drink one night, but I think they traveled to uk, and back again when sorted out your quiries, but I did not go into the nitty gritty of their affairs all I know is they were very happy doing what they was doing after running a small hotel in Scotland.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, The wife "fulltimed" in a Hymer 534 with the U shaped lounge for several years with a trailer kitted out with extra fridge freezer,washing machine,wardrobe for seasonal clothes etc.I thought the Hymer 534 was an ideal MH as it was short enough to use as a car,but having the U shaped lounge was ideal for lounging around or watching TV on wet days.I never felt clostrophobic in that van and always thought it an ideal layout.It had LPG tank and provision for 2 gas bottles,large water tank and solar panels,so she could tour without campsites,therfore all monies were used for enjoyment.The trailer gave her the extra storage when she neaded it,and when she didnt she used to put it in storage wherever she was.This model always holds its price,becouse it is so versatile.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back