Full timing in a partial conversion. (1 Viewer)

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
There seems to be a massive variety in the skills and social attitudes of motor home owners, and I would like to get some reaction to those of us who are converting vans for full time residence. I can appreciate that some people want to maintain their home comforts, but I don't believe that these are essential, for me anyway. So I would like to comment on some of the issues that I have resolved, or I am hoping to resolve this summer.

Toilet facilities - This seems to be an area where many people don't want to compromise. I don't want to give space to a porta potty, and have to dispose of cartridges. so I use public facilities.This has never been a problem, as may supermarkets and travel restaurants are open for 24 hours a day. I do use a sanitary wipe to clean the loo seat though, and maybe that is a bit excessive. I've also got a key to the Tork paper dispensers, as they seem to jam up fairly regularly. I've got a bucket for emergencies, and the "night water", and I use vinegar and water to sanitise that. I don't have a shower either, as van showers seem to be pretty cramped, and the public ones ( when you can find them ) are spacious and hot. The sea is a great source of iodine, so that is a healthy option in the summer, especially if you use a naturist beach.

Van size - I've tried a Berlingo, a Scudo and a Convoy high top, I think the Convoy is probably the smallest that I can handle long term, and it's about the largest that one can fit into regular parking spaces. I love the fact that I can stand up in the back, but the high top stops me getting into many parking and picnic areas.

Too much coffee - I've only got a couple of Mickey Mouse solar panels, and I haven't fitted a splitter for my leisure battery, so I'm spending too much time in McDonalds, KFC and other restaurants. I usually buy at least two coffees to "pay the rent", and I'm adding a pinch of Bicarbonate of Soda to reduce acidity. My problem is the plastic roof on the LDV, and I can find long enough legs to fit a roof rack. I'm going to have to make some custom legs next year.

Trailers - These are great for moving stuff out of the van, and for helping to get rid of rubbish from a past life, but you have to find somewhere to store them, or to drive around with them attached all the time.

Beds - I haven't decided how to handle the installation of a bed. I don't even know if I want it to be longitudinal or lateral. I put together a temporary solution using filled banana boxes and a couple of sofa cushions. It's actually surprisingly comfortable, but I need to upgrade. I'll probably swop the banana boxes for storage trunks in the next few days.

Tools - I like to be self-sufficient, and so I carry quite a range of tools and emergency spares. They are in a variety of boxes at the moment, and I hope to install a professional tool chest that I've got in one of the garages. I don't have a key for it, so I'm going to have to work out a way to stop all the drawers flying open.

Cooking - I'm using a couple of camping burners at the moment, but as I learn more about cooking, I'm starting to feel restricted. Now, I believe that a sink, and a twin burner cooking hob is essential

Heating - I'm not going to mention this here, as I plan to install a wood burner, and that is quite a complex topic.

Safety - again this is a complex topic, and many items are essential - a first aid kit for example, and a carbon monoxide alarm are fire extinguisher.

Please feel free to add your comments advice, and opinions to this thread.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think you are a lot more hardy than me I would could a loo water heater cooking shower good insulation and heating as essential!!!!
Good luck

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I would struggle to fit in a banana box let alone sleep in one,
I need a loo fitted also a shower plus heating,
If you stopped spending lots of time /money in McDonald’s Costa Asda and got rid of your garages you could spend that money on building your dream van ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
If you stopped spending lots of time /money in McDonald’s Costa Asda and got rid of your garages you could spend that money on building your dream van ?

Well that requires an emotional shift, and I may not be ready for that. I'm on 6 banana boxes, not in one. btw :)

I'd rather work towards creating a woodland preservation trust, than creating a fancy van. I may even switch to a sea going houseboat, and try to get involved in sea and ocean pasture regeneration.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Comfort means different things to different people! I think the first thing is a good solar and battery set up, because the money you spend on coffee could go on something else! Next would be a sink and hob combination, as that would enable you to eat more healthily and keep clean, without always looking for public showers, and spending money again presumably! After that it doesn’t matter if you’re happy, although I would want a bed and a toilet (but I’m getting on, and I’m female!).

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I agree about the solar. Probably for different reasons though, as I want to set up multiple computers.

The sink and cooking is becoming more important to me, as I'm starting to find out more about the problems associated with modern food production, and I'm moving towards hedgerow cookery, despite the many food bargains I seem to find.

Another issue is the escape from modern noise pollution, and I can probably do that with a bed that uses a couple of sofa cushions, and a large storage trunk. Sheep's wool insulation will be a great help as well.

Everything else is pretty incidental for me. Well I probably need to do a bit of image enhancement, as I think I put off quite a few people, but that could be my political views.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
My lorry conversion (see my thread in self builds) is my answer to our lack of house.
We don't want a mortgage because she has health issues which leave her unable to work for long periods of time, fear having it taken away once you've considered it a home. We don't receive any benefits from the state as we like to be as independent from it as possible, some say noble, some stupid ?‍♂️. So we are just saving up until we can buy one outright. I think we are maybe 7 years away from that goal if we carry on the rate we are going.

Im very lucky in the sense I have a guy I know with a storage yard of old tractors trucks ect ect. He's allowed me to stay there in my lorry once it's complete as a "security guard" so I've gone full out on mod cons because I have the space to park a massive lorry. Also got a storage unit there that holds all my tools and stuff, it's also getting a walk in wardrobe for her ?.

I only met this guy from asking around. He saw I was genuine and a hardworking useful guy so he gave me this option. I'm sure there are other people in his situation that could help you.

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Also I'd like to ad. We live how we have to to save money. Caravans, building sites, currently in a brick shed that's smaller than my lorry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back