Full timing and picking up work

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by Bedspring, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Bedspring

Bedspring Funster

Ratings:
    +37
    Crikey Alaska Guy, that sounds bad. having said that, do you regret your decision?

2. AlaskaGuy

AlaskaGuy Funster

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Bedspring. Yes, it can seem tough and I sometimes regret my decision to try semi-retirement, but that's on "down" days. I try and see it from the point of view that we are truly footloose! And the best part of minimum wage jobs is the low stress associated, just have to cope with the monthly bills.

3. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +28,965
    I will only give one bit of advice. Plan and save for a new van to replace your existing one.

I cocked up and am now struggling with an older van that is falling to pieces and don't have the cash immediately to replace it.

Once the new one is in place next year I will be saving on the basis of replacing it every 5 years. It is unlikely that I will replace it that soon but if I save on that basis I will have more money to spend on the next one.

Vehicles don't last forever, plan for replacement.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. AlaskaGuy

AlaskaGuy Funster

Ratings:
    +12
    Wise words. Mine is a 14.plate Bailey 740AA, and I hope to get 10 years and still have a small amount of equity value at the end of it. But the saving advice is bang on.