Full timing and picking up work

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by Bedspring, Nov 7, 2018 at 11:03 AM.

1. OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +691
    We both retired fifteen years ago when I was 55 and I know I really wouldn't have been able to find the time to do any work and still couldn't. Ask me what I spend all my time doing and I really couldn't tell you but I do everything in a much more leisurely way. It turns out we are spending much less money than I budgeted for and our investments managed by myself are doing far better than I budgeted for. And we don't seem to lack for anything. But we don't have expensive holidays because we don't need them because life is a constant holiday. Our biggest expense is fuel for the Motorhome.
    Everybody is different, but I really can't understand how people retire and go toes up within six months from boredom.
    Do your sums and if it looks right then go for it. Your health will probably improve as a result.
    Best of luck,
    Steve

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 6:38 PM
    • Like it Like it x 9
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  2. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +95,292
    You could try being a rent boy.

You would probably be kept busy in France.

And England come to think of it.(y)

Just give it a go ( retirement I mean) - good luck(y)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  3. Bedspring

Bedspring Funster

Ratings:
    +28
    The problem is its all the pressure I keep under about my wages and I am only a builder like Ian, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46122407

Only joking, some peoples problems eh.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  4. nicholsong

nicholsong Funster

Ratings:
    +2,795
    Just my story for what it is worth.

I fancied retiring early and at 45 years in 1987 I bought a boat and sailed off leaving no house in UK I had £118,500 to my name.

Stock Market collapsed in Nov that year.

I realised I did not have enough capital to live on and high-tailed it back to UK.

I have good qualifications and walked into a well-paid job. I did that job for 2-3 seasons. I then spent a lot of time on the boat in Greece.

I then realised that I enjoyed a mix of different well-paid work, which paid for me to buy a house in SW London, and cruising around Greece.

I progressed to very casual low-paid work, driving, but then came to Poland for romantic reasons.

With pensions and a good rent from the house I feel rich(am rich), after a mixed 30 years

Take what you will from this synopsis, but the lessons I learnt are

When the first plan looks as it is not working, go back to work.

Low capital is OK if you have good qualifications to fall back on.

Do not live on capital

I enjoyed the years of mixed work and sailing in Greece. Only swapped for MH to see more of inside Europe.

Geoff

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Blue Knight

Blue Knight Funster

Ratings:
    +2,703
    Couldn't agree more (y)

Plan well and go for it as you don't get much opportunity to travel when you're 6-feet under.

All the best,

Andrew

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,641
    I'm trying to work out what exactly you're trying to say chaser ... please explain. o_O

7. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +8,675
    Dunno - I've been doing it since I retired at 50. It's not too stressful :).

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Bedspring

Bedspring Funster

Ratings:
    +28
    Never mind that. You have a campscout, what do you think of it. How old is it?

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. chaser

chaser Funster

Ratings:
    +18,788
    i am trying to say that some people are saying spend as if tomorrow will never come but they have loads of money , property, pensions , good jobs behind them ian has none of these

10. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +29,641
    ... I'm sure Ian already knows that though ... but he's a happy chappy and seems content with his life.

Seriously though, I think what you are really getting at is that it's okay for those who have dosh, and regular income without having to work for it, to say 'just do it' but if those who are wanting to do so don't have some financial reserve to fall back on it could all end in tears if not handled correctly or realistically ... is that better?

• Nice One! Nice One! x 3
  11. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +29,641
    We :love: it ... We bought it new in April this year, made in 2017 but a dealer demo so never registered or used, quite happy about it being a 2017 model though as the boiler/heater is under the end of the nearside bed leaving the area under dinette seat free which is where the 2018 models have the boiler.

Some info here - a few more bits to add in due course:

https://globecarcampscoutinfo.yolasite.com

• Like it Like it x 2
  12. jumartoo

jumartoo Funster

Ratings:
    +42,709
    If you just want something to occupy your time/take you to different places, have you thought about house sitting or working for food and board at something like HelpX?

• Like it Like it x 3
  13. Louis

Louis Funster

Ratings:
    +1,232
    Don’t you employ someone to do that ?:D2

14. Bedspring

Bedspring Funster

Ratings:
    +28
    Thank you. It is interesting to see a MH furnished. You see Them at shows and obviously they have nothing in, so look more spacious. But get the Bedding on the Beds etc and perspectives change.

15. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

Ratings:
    +4,263
    Just read your very interesting website. Even though we don't have a Globecar and don't intend to change our motorhome I was fascinated by how much work you have done and your ingenious solutions. Well done, Mel. (@Minxy Girl)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Ratings:
    +28,497
    I used to offer to help people learning & paying large amounts to colleges but got no takers.

Even those 3 would be more than I have:D
    The thing is Charlie. I have been in the same position as Ian . If you don't like the work nothing will make you do it.
    It is only when you have responsibilities,wife, family, mortgage ,etc; that you have to swallow ; & even then sometimes you still have to walk:(.
    Once you have shed those & are on the outside looking in you realise that there wasn't actually any point in whatever you were doing & there never was. So nothing is going to make you put up with doing anything you don't like, have no interest in, whatever amount of money is being offered.

Personally I believe that once you retire that should be it. Once you start drawing either a private pension or state pension it should be illegal to work, same as here.

• Like it Like it x 2
  17. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +29,641
    Yes, our van looked lovely when empty but being able to use and enjoy it without being worried about stuff being damaged is why we've put covers on everything (we have 3 dogs) and the bedding does make a difference to the 'look' too ... it always makes me laugh when you see photos in brochures etc where they've tried to simulate someone living in one by putting a couple of pillows and a throw on a bed! :LOL: We do have quite a bit of bedding on ours though as I'm a cold bum so it may not be quite so 'bulky' in other people's vans! :D

18. JJ

JJ Funster

Ratings:
    +42,413
    Man Plans, God Laughes...

I recommend just going for it.

One never knows what is just around the corner but we all know we don't live forever.

JJ :cool:

• Like it Like it x 1
  19. Nicepix

Nicepix Funster

Ratings:
    +2,475
    Regards working in France; to conform with French law you would have to register with the Chamber de Metiers and unless you met one of the few exceptions need to go on a one week course (in French) at a cost of around €600 before you can work for payment.

But there are lots of rocks to climb and museums to visit as well as good wine available. ;)