Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I would love to be in your situation but all the females I have ever come into contact with would be less than enthusiastic. With the equity from the house burning a hole how many would settle for anything less than a new ridiculous vehicle. Or am I wrong. :Smile:

Well I'm female and I had money from a house sale 'burning a hole' in my pocket but I still bought a 10 year old van for just over £20k which is more than big enough for me and 2 dogs. New vans do naff all for me - look fantastic but for how long?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well I'm female and I had money from a house sale 'burning a hole' in my pocket but I still bought a 10 year old van for just over £20k which is more than big enough for me and 2 dogs. New vans do naff all for me - look fantastic but for how long?
But you are a Stubborn, weird nutcase with 3 dogs living in a van. Need I say more.:winky:

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
But you are a Stubborn, weird nutcase with 3 dogs living in a van. Need I say more.:winky:

Only people who know me are allowed to call me weird!! and it's 2 dogs now. Me thinks I need to update my profile :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Need any help burning it give me a PM .. :winky:

New vans are like ... new girlfriends .. :RollEyes:

after the 'running in' period, the sparkle soon wears off and they cost you an arm and a leg on 'must have' accessories..

better with an old well run in model that is more appreciative and not so demanding..

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Need any help burning it give me a PM .. :winky:

New vans are like ... new girlfriends .. :RollEyes:

after the 'running in' period, the sparkle soon wears off and they cost you an arm and a leg on 'must have' accessories..

better with an old well run in model that is more appreciative and not so demanding..

I could say that new vans are like men (the vermin I attract anyway). promise a lot and deliver so little. But I won't :ROFLMAO:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Only people who know me are allowed to call me weird!! and it's 2 dogs now. Me thinks I need to update my profile :Doh:
You have me interested now. Tonight if it ok with you I am going to sit down and read your Blog:thumb:

The V10 Squad

Free Member
Jul 11, 2011
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Four Winds B class
Exp
Jan 2010
I voted No. 3 & we have taken the mid way option. I too think it too risky not to have a UK address, my reasons are as below. Maybe age also has a bearing on your decision, if younger you may have time to return to a previous life - we don't have that luxury of time on our side to make mistakes & rectify them.

We have moved into a park home (BIG caravan) and as Ken said it is like living in a large RV, (40ft by 20ft) it just doesn't move.

We no longer need a house & this gave us the opportunity to sell & get more capital to use for travelling. It has no garden to maintain, pay the lowest council tax but have a permanent address to keep the authorities happy. The cost of our 'site' works out at £5.48 a day plus electric, so not a big difference to living on a CL.

Living as we do on a camp site is almost the same as being a full timer as different caravans & MH come & go. We chose this area as we love it, (S W Scotland) even though it may not be very warm at the moment (we are in Spain) & it is looked after for us by the owners.

We only live at 'home' 6 months of the year so ours is a halfway house between full timing & 'normal' living. There are advantages to having a base to return to in the event of any problem, especially with health problems or a change in personal circumstances.

Wow looks lovely site..our daughter in Aberdeen so could be useful site.

Looked at the chalet for sale looks nice, this is the option we will look at if we
lucky enough but about 9 years to go...:thumb:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
The freedom you talk about is all about finances .. Whether you live in a tin box or brick box you only have as much freedom as you can afford.. it's that simple..

You want to be free but can't afford it, so you need to work but then your not really free .. catch 22.

You and I have both had a crack at fulltiming and both know it's not easy.. or an easy way out. I sympathise with your ideals and ambitions Stew..

On a more general note...

There is a romantic notion that somehow we can escape the system, be 'free' from it and live the life of an aboriginal .. living off the land, not paying taxes, doing our own thing..
Well, down through the decades it's been tried by the hippies and the New Age travellers to name just a few.. I haven't read of any that were successful and flourished, there is no 'free' land to go and do that.. we will always have to abide by the law of the land..

"You have freedom when you're easy in your harness" . ~Robert Frost

For me Jim freedom has nothing to do with finances. There is a lot about Murdoch to dislike at the moment but I love the fact that whilst in his eighties he is still working, I hope to be doing exactly that, working. I have always enjoyed my job, I am not talking about every minute, but overall I have always enjoyed what I do and if I didn't I would change it. Fulltiming for me was never an escape route from working for a living. Shona often says I could win the 163 million lottery and I would still go out taking portraits - and charge for it lol.

For me fulltiming is having the freedom to being able to start the engine and change my environment. Meeting new people, not getting involved in mundane things. I am actually back semi fulltiming as it happens, if you can do such a thing lol. The only difference is that this time I am doing it on my own and popping back to see Shona and Jess regularly to empty the wallet into their waiting hands :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back