Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We ran a poll a couple of years ago, which had some interesting results. It seems that whilst even more people are wanting to try full timing and at the same time some famous fulltimers are now back in a house, ScotJimLand, BillyM, and Artona spring immediately to mind. So we will start afresh. Here is a new poll. :thumb:

Is it for you? Why not? Do you intend to try it? are you doing it already? Would you encourage or discourage others?

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
We ran a poll a couple of years ago, which had some interesting results. It seems that whilst even more people are wanting to try full timing and at the same time some famous fulltimers are now back in a house, ScotJimLand, BillyM, and Artona spring immediately to mind. So we will start afresh. Here is a new poll. :thumb:

Is it for you? Why not? Do you intend to try it? are you doing it already? Would you encourage or discourage others?

Hmmmmm, very difficult to "recomend" it, simply because everybodies wants and needs are so different.

ffi' and I have been "out" for 10 years now, using a relatives address for the "authorities".
Thats the only thing I HATE about the lifestyle. The lack of understanding from the authorities that there are people for whom bricks and motar simply mean nothing.
We still utterly adore the lifestyle (even tho' this week we've registered -16.5, -9, -11 and minus 8!!!!!!:Eeek:), have no intentions of finishing and love the relative freedom we have. Using CL's exclusively means we have a very quiet and peacefull lifestyle.
The biggest bit of advise I could give is, if at all possible, KEEP YOUR ADRESS!!!! That postcode is imperative for EVERYTHING and without it, you're pretty much stuffed in the UK.
We're lucky in having Mum (Mother in Law really, but as she's such a good egg, I dont really like that description, Mum is just Mum::bigsmile:) but eventually, nature is gonna take its course whether we like it or not, and when that happens, ffi and I are gonna have to have a SERIOUS re-think cos unless I can pursuade one of my cousins (which TBH I think I'd be too embarrased to do) we're gonna be in trouble without a permanent uk addy.

It really REALLY winds me up that over in the States, there are over a million REGISTERED Fulltimers and WorkCampers who can live completely legally and above board using nothing more than a PO Box No.

If they can do it, WHY CAN'T WE!!!!!! We not running from anything, we've nothing to hide, we simply enjoy an alternative lifestyle to the "norm"!:Sad:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Let's see !!!

Just voted !!!! I aim to carry on the lifestyle..I had hoped to do it with my partner Kay but alas it is not to be !!! Sometimes I feel lonely but life has to go on and I have my memories , so let's just see what happens !!! I am currently in Spain and returning around mid- March, after that , who knows !!!!.....Stephen....BTW...I am going to attend the Carmarthen Show with that well known hooligan Roger and his Moll !!!!.:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We voted No. 1
But there seems to be some debate as to what the meaning of 'fulltiming' really is. We believe that living in it 24/7----- 52 weeks a year is 'fulltiming'
In a previous life we sold our house and everything, and lived 'on the road for 7 years.
This time, having learnt by our earlier mistakes, we have kept our house, (rented out).
This IOHO is no different to selling the house and investing the money, we don't use that address or property at all. (apart from the taxable income)
Our suggestion to anyone who needs to realise some capitol from their house, to go fulltiming, is to downsize but keep a toe in the property market, (just our opinion).
We have lived in our 5er for 18 months and really love it, so much so that we have ordered a new one :thumb::thumb::thumb:
If anyone wants advice on 'fulltiming', we will be happy to tell it how we see it!!!
Nigel & Pamala

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Sorta took the words away from me Sundowners! I was going to say "hate" the idea of fulltiming is perhaps too strong a word. I cannot imagine I would hate it, I just would not do it without retaining a bricks and mortar property bolthole.

ezee

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
we fulltimed for six months spanning a really bad winter before we had a smallholding and animals to care for since that time we have amassed lots of possessions which would add to the difficulties of fulltiming, however we have not entirely abandoned the idea of one day living at the smallholding in a van or mobile home. Retaining a smaller van for traveling in. In fact if the EU animal regulations get any more difficult the time will come sooner rather than later.

RVfulltimer

Free Member
Mar 15, 2008
Funster No
we voted no 1 been living in the RV fulltime for six years sold the the house but maybe should have kept it ,the main draw back is as stated in previous posts is the fact that you have no [permant address] so have to use relatives or friends address for insurance etc ,having said that we have found no better way of living ,able to move on if you want or like us do a wardens job and stay as long as you want rent free and no bills except for gas and mobile phone ,would we go back maybe one day ,but i would still have a MH of some sort and still go abroad for three or four months out of the year .When we had a house we never saw the neighbours for weeks ,but now we see new and and regular visiters to the site and every one [well nearly every one ] is ok some caravaners can be a bit of a pain but most are ok.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
In my third year and still wouldn't go back to bricks and mortar.

A full timer is someone who lives 24/365 in their motorhome, and plans to remain so till they carry him/her off in a much smaller box.

Pete:Cool:

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Voted #3, not because I wouldn't do it but because the better half would not entertain the idea.

If it ever did happen it wouldn't be for atleast another 10 years when the kids are old enough to fend for themselves.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Half time full timers

I voted No. 3 & we have taken the mid way option. I too think it too risky not to have a UK address, my reasons are as below. Maybe age also has a bearing on your decision, if younger you may have time to return to a previous life - we don't have that luxury of time on our side to make mistakes & rectify them.

We have moved into a park home (BIG caravan) and as Ken said it is like living in a large RV, (40ft by 20ft) it just doesn't move.

We no longer need a house & this gave us the opportunity to sell & get more capital to use for travelling. It has no garden to maintain, pay the lowest council tax but have a permanent address to keep the authorities happy. The cost of our 'site' works out at £5.48 a day plus electric, so not a big difference to living on a CL.

Living as we do on a camp site is almost the same as being a full timer as different caravans & MH come & go. We chose this area as we love it, (S W Scotland) even though it may not be very warm at the moment (we are in Spain) & it is looked after for us by the owners.

We only live at 'home' 6 months of the year so ours is a halfway house between full timing & 'normal' living. There are advantages to having a base to return to in the event of any problem, especially with health problems or a change in personal circumstances.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Full timing, poll 11

We also voted No. 1.:Smile:

We came into full timing (24/7...52 weeks a year) gradually....by managing campsites in the season, and then, camping out of season, why? because we had sold our home, and left downsizing for a year.

Our first winter was a seasonal pitch at Oxon Touring park, for four months, and the weather was almost as cold as you are having now in the UK. But we found the life was a good life and suited us.:RollEyes:

Next we purchased a small pad, for daughter's use, later she married, so now we have an agent handle the letting. Costs us a bit that way, but its OK, and is all set against tax.:Cool:

Do we love it? yes...........98%
Do we hate it? yes...........2%

That 2% is the annual round of tax returns, etc, etc, and if we can't get out for what ever reason.:Doh:

For our fulltiming we have used two coachbuilts and our current rig is an A class. The changes came about due to changing requirements:

Our first, a Lunar 780, complete with a 4.5m safri room, was a pratical layout, and ideal for campsite management, but when we retired, we needed a rig, without the safri room, and a slightly smaller one for touring, so we moved to a Bessacarr 760, with a movelite XL awning. Both rigs were good for two persons, but when grand children stay with us, we noticed how cramped it was. Our current rig is an A class, it fits our current requirements, with a third belted seat and a fold away bed at the front. Other advantages are, better payload, rectangular double bed, rear wheel drive, two leisure batteries, and an easily accessed garage.

All the other advantages have been listed in previous posts, and no we do not have any plans to return to our bricks and mortar.:thumb:

Nomadic

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
To leave the security of a house and all that goes with it , and live this style of life is a VERY big move------if a couple, you both have to be 100% commited to make it work and if there are kids, there can be added issues.
Nigel & Pamala

Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Full Timing love it

Have been full timing now for 2 years - amazing lifestyle:thumb: - make it what you want it to be:thumb: - yeh we have an address was my mum but now my daughter.

We are sat cosy and warm:thumb: - sunday roast done:thumb: - ok we cannot get water as standpipe frozen:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: - we have bottles we can cope fetching water for however long it takes - take washing up to site facilities:Eeek: - no prob again - life when weather changes will be back to amazing again.:thumb::thumb:

Both of us creeping up on 60 and no problem.

Yes you both do have to be committed or cracks appear.

Off to shower block as yep no water on board - hey ho.

Jaen:thumb::thumb:

forfourgeek

Free Member
May 21, 2009
Forest Of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class
Full timing ..Yes or no......

Definitely yes. :thumb:
This is our first winter in an RV, but for twenty years we've lived aboard boats, both sea going and Canal. We sold both boats in June last year and bought a Trek, soon afterwards we traded in and ended up with a Hurricane.
Rv ing and boating have similar problems, all of which can be over come with thought.
Neither of us can imagine living in a house.

There's probably no better time to do it.. Don't let time or opportunities pass you bye :Smile:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Mo and I have been fulltiming for over 6 years now but during that time we developed the Big Pitch Guide - which took over our lives - and the sheer volume of work and equipment for the Guides has now resulted in us having to expand back into Bricks and Mortar.

We loved living in the RV but during the last year it has been like living in an open office - and I simply cannot tell you the amount of burnt dinners we have suffered due to visitors popping in at all times day and night.

Now we are hidden away in a flat in a sleepy little village - the Big Pitch Guide is working away in the second bedroom whilst Mo and I occupy the rest of the flat - and hopefully, this season will see us back on the road just as we always wanted!.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
To leave the security of a house and all that goes with it , and live this style of life is a VERY big move------if a couple, you both have to be 100% commited to make it work and if there are kids, there can be added issues.
Nigel & Pamala

I totally agree with Nigel & Pamala

Having tried it for three years we found it wasn't for us ... not having a secure home is more than just practicalities, most of which can be overcome, there was a deep sense in insecurity which as time went on became over bearing and started to spoil what the very thing we had sought, life had become stressful again.. when that happened I knew we had to get back to a house.

Raising Charlotte is the very most important part of our lives and she was missing out on some aspects of growing up, home educating is all very well, and she didn't fall behind in that, but she was missing mixing with other kids, so although she was educated in the three Rs she missed out on learning from her peers..

It takes a very special type of person to become a nomad or a travelling person, it sounds romantic but it's not, it's a different lifestyle not to be confused with a long holiday, it certainly won't suit everyone.. if you think it's going to be just one big long holiday forget it.

My advice is to retain a home, even if you let it out, you still have a place to come back to, once you sell as we did you are literally out on the street.. homeless, and in the eyes of the law, financial institutions, insurance companies and all government depts.. .. a person with no fixed abode... a travller... think about it very carefully, it's a hell of a lot easier to go full time than to come back to bricks and mortar..

We are are now re settled and enjoying being back being a letter box, Chaz is in a local school, has joined the Brownies and is thriving on it .. Just the other day she said " dad, I'm so happy we are back in a house... I missed not having school friends.. "

We met an elderly full timing couple, been doing it for 20 years, both now well over 70 and in failing health. They had started out with an RV but through time had to downsize and were now 'living' in a very old beat up Hymer..
We spoke at length, they would never admit that they wished they hasn't sold up, but I could see in their eyes and how they spoke how they longed to find a resting place.. a place to pass their last days..
This brought it home to me and how we could end up, old, arthritic and with little money in a foreign land .. perhaps this meeting influence our decision to give up more than any other.

Please don't be put off, it was a fabulous experience, we had many adventures and the only regret we have is that we didn't rent out our house rather than sell it.

It's a bit like jumping off of a 500ft cliff .. there is only one way to find out if you will enjoy it ...looking down is scary but you can't really do a taster jump... you have to try it out or walk away from the edge and stop dreaming.

The bottom line, we would not do it again.. we will travel and hopefully for extented periods but with a base to come 'home' to

jim

Last edited:

Myfanwy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
Cheddar Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
nine years
Fulltiming

Hi

We have been living full time in our van for three years now. We still have a house rented to our son so we have no problem with the permanent address issue. We are in Roquetas, Almeria for the moment (wet and damp today) . A few weeks time we shall move on to other parts of Spain. We can do as we please every day, nothing is set in stone. Talking about what we will do tomorrow rarely materialises anyway!:roflmto:We just love the freedom it gives after the monotony of work and doing everything by the clock. We spend a few months of the summer/autumn in UK to see family, Dr, dentist etc. Life is great - though he does miss his shed if I was to be really honest!:winky::winky:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
No 4 for me.
No, its not for me, not 24/7 365.
I like the idea of touring around for a few months at a time when retired, maybe going abroad for the winter mmmmmmmm that appeals to me::bigsmile:.

But the only way id consider doing it now, at 46 was if i realy had to.

Like if we had the house repossessed !!

But each to there own, it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things, and busy roads, if we all full timed.

Bev

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I like the idea of touring around for a few months at a time when retired, maybe going abroad for the winter mmmmmmmm that appeals to me::bigsmile:.
Getting away from the UK for winter has to be a big plus.

Just had a phone call from an ex-work colleague who took early retirement and now lives in Turkey. He came over here for a few weeks but couldn't bear the cold after a fortnight and has now gone back.

It's between 22 -25c there at the moment.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We started full timing 18 months ago and are loving the freedoom it affords - reading all these posts confirms how very different everyones situation is - I think to have tried to do this earlier in life would have been impossible - we have moved with my job a few times and nearly 30 years ago started our own business - so for many years there was no way we could take a break so the business was 24/7/365 - our daughter and her husband now do all the day to day running and we act as advisors and back up as required - we still have the business and all the security :Eeek:that affords and live 24/7/365 in our 5'er touring the country seeing odd customers and catching up on all the holidays that we never took. Its a lifestyle that we are enjoying and its similar to our original retirement plans in the past. The one thing we would say is that our lifestyle gives us a purpose. There is always something to do something to plan for and when we get a few days or weeks off its like a holiday. Not to have a purpose in life other than getting up eating sleeping and going to bed again I think would drive me barking mad. When we planned to go full timing we also laid carefull exit plans so that we can come away from full timing easily it health dictates - We have a target date to consider going back to bricks which is when I am 70 which is not really that far away - at that point no one knows what their health will be and whether the medical required to continue pulling a big trailer will be forthcoming . No way would I full time in a small unit.
Would we recommend it - Yes we would - with the proviso that anyone planning should consider what and why they are doing it - we have met some smashing people made some really good friends - been to places that we would never normally have been to or seen. If there is something we like we stay awhile - if there is something we do not like or appreciate then we move. As far as we can see we could carry on for another 10 years but who know

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
We've been fulltiming 3 years and still love it. We've downsized from an RV to small Euroean luton, but still find the space adequate. The house may be small, but the backyard is pretty damn big!

I can never understand the perception houseowners have of the 'insecurity' of fulltiming. The archetypical illustration of the old, athritic couple living out their days in ever smaller vans is in my view as misguided as anyone who thinks fulltiming is a permanent holiday.

Why does ownership of a house provide more security than selling the house & investing the money? True, the investment market has taken a massive hit since we sold up in 2006 - probably the biggest drop for many decades. But our 'mother lode' investment has only dropped 4% in value since then. Whereas the house we sold has recently been resold at 20% less (and that after the interim owners had spent over £50k in improvements).

Not much insecurity there, then.

Now if this old, athritic couple had lived in a house, how would they afford to keep up with rent or mortgage payments? If they'd paid off their mortgage, they still can't eat bricks & mortar, and most equity release schemes are extremely inefficient. If they'd rented their house, what happens when they can't find a tenant for a moonth - or 2 - or 3? No income at all then. And if the tenant decides not to pay rent? I've owned a buy-to-let property, and trust me, it is VERY hard & time consuming (& expensive) to evict a tenant, even if he doesn't pay his rent. And what about the worries of wear & tear; routine ongoing expenses; occasional nasties of roof repair & the like; insurance, council tax and so on.

Surely far better to invest the money, use the income when possible, and supplement investment income shortfall with capital?

If you are of the view that this is 'spending the kids inheritance', of course it is. But we can reasonably expect to live for at least another 20 years, by which time our sons will be in their 50's. Why do they need money then? They've either made it in life or we've already failed them. On the other hand, they will need money for a deposit when they buy a house, & we can lend them this from our stash now, with no hassle, at whatever terms we agree.

I was recently asked did I not get bored with the fulltime lifestyle. Bored? How is living in a totally mobile dwelling, where I'm able to change my environment (& escape my neighbours) at will, more boring than living in some pile of bricks & mortarwhich constantly costs me money? Where I have to do a job I dislike in order to pay my overheads? Bored? We've lived & travelled in France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Slovenia, Germany, Austria and Belgium.

In Australia, where we are now for a few months, we have driven for miles & miles without seeing another car, just squillions of hectares of virgin bush. We've been into the oldest rainforest on the planet; snorkelled on the Great Barrier Reef; driven through a bushfire; been very hot (38+) and had to stop driving in rain so torrential as to blind us. We've camped in incredibly beautiful bush, and stayed on a 4500acre cattle & sheep station. We've seen loads of animals in the wild: kangaroos; wallabies; emus; crocodiles; wombats, giant lizards and fruitbats the size of pterodactyls. Swum in the sea with psychedelic fish, giant clams, a turtle and a 6' reef shark. We've been laughed at by kookaburras, hand fed possums, dodged multicoloured parrots of every variety; watched dolphins at dusk and avoided even seeing a snake.

We've eaten in posh Sydney restaurants and sampled roadside pies from beef to crocodile; barbied kangaroo steak; savoured Hereford steaks on the ranch and eaten sushi, shasami, blue-eyed cod, Balmain bugs & sea urchins; enjoyed Shakespeare in the Sydney Opera House; been up the Harbour Bridge, and watched the New Years Eve fireworks over the harbour in the company of crowds. We've fished off a boat in the Hawkesbury estuary and Sydney Harbour, eyed the young trendies in Surfers Paradise, and walked a nearly deserted white quartz beach that squeaked underfoot. Sunsets and night skies and scenery to knock your socks off, but mostly we've just enjoyed the space. And the laidback Aussie mentality. And the ability to camp where you feel like it, & know you'll always be able to fill with water when you need to, and knowing too that with solar panels & a gas bottle, you needn't see anyone for a week if you don't want to.

Bored? BORED? God, you'd have to be brain dead to be bored.

So in summary, yes, we fulltime & love it. I think it would be much harder with kids - that would be my main reservation. And I don't think I'd enjoy it so much alone. But as they say, 'to each his own'. Works for us!

Bruce

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Just voted. I could be tempted but my better half would not. We stick to trips of around 3 months at present, but may do longer at some point.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
We don't know enough about motorhoming, so I'm not voting.

However, it would be interesting, boss, for us new boys (and girls) to see how votes have been in previous years???? Please, then, Jim Lad?

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I can never understand the perception houseowners have of the 'insecurity' of fulltiming. The archetypical illustration of the old, athritic couple living out their days in ever smaller vans is in my view as misguided as anyone who thinks fulltiming is a permanent holiday.

Why does ownership of a house provide more security than selling the house & investing the money? True, the investment market has taken a massive hit since we sold up in 2006 - probably the biggest drop for many decades. But our 'mother lode' investment has only dropped 4% in value since then. Whereas the house we sold has recently been resold at 20% less (and that after the interim owners had spent over £50k in improvements).

Not much insecurity there, then.
I think it's a part of conforming to society.....what we are all led to believe is The Way.

In the UK we have a great system which looks after the very rich and (sometimes) the very poor.....if you are one of those that falls somewhere inbetween i.e, have a little in savings and live in a private house, then when the chips are down you are basically 'on your own'. Lose your job and you will be up shite creek with a house 'repo' looming within a matter of months.

As far as the property market is concerned you were lucky in that you sold out at the right time, just before it all went belly up barely a year later. So undoubtedly your buyer would have been one of many who quite possibly now find themselves facing negative equity. Not an enviable position to be in.

Personally I cannot wait to sell up and get rid of my house. But then I am single, my son has his own life and earns a very good income.....so what do I need with a private property which is basically a financial liabilty? And not such a very good one at that either!

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Voted No 3. It all sounds great however I like where I live and we like to be close to our family. When we both retire next January we will be off.

We intend to get abroad for the winter months and be back in the uk for the summer.

Thats the plan anyway. I woudnt take a stance on recommending it or not.

Everybody has their own ways and wants and so its live and let live.

Jim

:Smile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We don't know enough about motorhoming, so I'm not voting.

However, it would be interesting, boss, for us new boys (and girls) to see how votes have been in previous years???? Please, then, Jim Lad?

Neither do I :Blush:
We've only been out in ours 7 nights altogether, since we bought it end of December ::bigsmile:
But we've had various caravans and gone out most weekends in those, rallying etc for years.
I just know it wouldn't be for me . As much as I love motor homing /caravaning / camping , i also love our house . All the space , different rooms , the neighbors are great . Our Kids can play out safely, like we used to , and we have good local schools etc .
So as much as i love getting out and about visiting places , I also love to go back home. Love soaking in my big bath or having a power shower , for One .
( or 2:ROFLMAO:) .
We have been to some fantastic exotic places on holiday , by airplane , not in a motor home like "kijana" i may add , and only for 2/3 weeks at a time too, they sound to be having a fantastic time. All the home comforts with them etc . Perfect.

We are yet to go abroad with the MH but are going to France for 3 weeks in July as the first away trip. Oh and the Isle of White in May. Not exotic but you have to start off somewhere don't you.
I think if we didn't have kids of school age, and Ralph was retired ( i don't work anyway ) we would spend months at a time away visiting various places.
It would be great. We are looking forward to be able to do it in fact .
But I know I would always be glad to go home. Ive asked hubby and thankfully he thinks the same , good job. As said earlier you'd both have to be up for it.
Our plan is downsize the house when we are older, keeping it big enough for having the kids n Grandkids over for Sunday lunch etc. Releasing the equity, using that to travel as ,when and where we will.
Of course this all depends on us both being fit well and able to do so too.
Fingers crossed.
Bev

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
I've enjoyed reading the posts.

I chose 4 because although I like the idea of it, I would hate to leave my 94 year old mum. She gets anxious if we are away for a couple of weeks.

I would like to go abroad for a few months eventually. But I think I'd miss evening classes and clubs if we were away all the time.
But it's good to hear about it. We are all different and that makes life interesting.
Lucille

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
We (Dawn and myself) fulltimed for just short of 3 years and we enjoyed it immensley and we have just given it up at the start of this year 2010.....Why.. well we had a break in Tenerife in November 2009..and we found "our place in the Sun"so we decided to move there after 3 years of planning the move there

We were originally going to move there in 2007 but certain cicumstances prevented this from happening so we sold the house.. the car etc and bought the motorhome and went fulltiming we loved the freedom of it we used my sisters address as an address in UK for certain purposes....my advice is Don't think it ..Do it!!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have been fulltiming for 2 years now and using my daughters address as a base, everyone asks for an address even on cl's but some companies will not send to an address other than the one listed ie on paypal well when we are the other side of the country need to get it sent to her address then she has to send it to me thats if I really really want the item , thats one part that I dont like, dentists will see you and vets if you are noit in your home area but try getting a hospital appointment in an area other than your home address, wont work so have to go "home" for a while just to get things like general "womans problem" checks, women know what i mean!!! after reading the general way this post is going nearly everyone is aggreeing with full timing, i was on the verge of going into home owning again but would need a mortgage and with no earnings coming in find it impossible only retirement pension have decided to sell all furniture that we have paid for storage for 2 years now what a waste of money some folk would say but we had to be sure!!! we love having different views and neighbours as and when we chose, we havent gone abroad yet but would love to spend winter abroad, much warmer especially after the winter we have had but I am still of the mind what shall we do, get a static caravan and use most of our belongings again, i have lots of pictures and general things I love but cannot use in the van as the one we currently have is too small, have decided to go to NEc and choose a bigger MH and have even thought about an RV with slide outs, there are plenty out there or even swapping MH for large caravan and Car, having no transport beside a MH is a bit restricting so might get a smart car as well, so my advice is try before you buy, you can hire Mh's which would give you a better insight into things, I tried to hire RV but cannot

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Voted No 3

We love traveling especially in the RV or motorbike and spend about 6 months a year in the RV but that's about our limit.
We like our home having roots and family and friends around us. Also the security of owning our own place especially as we get older its security for our future.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back