Full timers insurance (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I said I would do a bit of digging for my Aunty and her partner who are currently in Spain somewhere in their van. They lived in Murcia for a while but sold up and have been in their van ever since. She is now asking for info about insurance for full time living in van.

I've picked up bits and pieces from the various threads on here but still haven't quite got the whole picture.

As far as I know it will just be Spain they are travelling in. It is a UK registered van but not sure of the age. Now they have sold their Spanish property I am guessing they don't have a residence for mailing etc.

Can anyone help me with the basics so I can pass any info on?

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
There will be plenty of others come along with info for you. It is a bit of a minefield and they would need an address in the uk. We are registered at a family members address and use that for all our documentation/legal stuff. Full time insurance is only offered by a couple of companies, many offer 365 day cover which people confuse with full time but it is totally different so you have to be very careful. Some insurance companies require you to be on the electoral roll as well and also see proof of address, utility bills etc.

I'm guessing the van is registered to a Uk address and has Uk mot up to date which would be required.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Thanks @shawn&emma

So do you know what the difference is between the 365 day cover and actual full timing insurance?

That's a good point about their van being registered in UK. I remember they returned to the UK to buy the van so I presume they used a relatives address here for the registration purposes. I will have to check.

Any more info would be gratefully received.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
There is only one underwriter for ‘proper’ full timing insurance and that is Aviva. I believe there are three brokers which offer this insurance - Comfort, AIB and maybe Adrian Flux. I full time and am insured via Comfort. Basically, if you do not have a bricks-and-mortar residence that you can prove you actually live in (as opposed to renting out to other people), then you need fulltiming insurance. If you only have 365 day touring insurance and you need to make a claim, then if you cannot prove you have an actual residence your claim may well be rejected,

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
@maz

Thanks for that. So is there a fair bit of difference, price wise, between the 365 touring cover and the actual full time living in van cover? Do you mind if I ask a for a rough idea of price for the kind of insurance you have?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Plenty of spanish companies will legally insure UK registered vehicles through UK based intermediaries. Might beworth asking as the requirements would usually be far less arduous.

Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks @maz you explained the 365 day better than I could have.

@monzer We paid around £1200 per year for our full time insurance. That was for an american van though, when we changed the insurance due to being in a house for a couple of years whilst working the price came down to about £400.

Reactions: maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
@maz

Thanks for that. So is there a fair bit of difference, price wise, between the 365 touring cover and the actual full time living in van cover? Do you mind if I ask a for a rough idea of price for the kind of insurance you have?
Fulltiming cover will be considerably more expensive than normal touring cover. I’ve only ever fulltimed (went straight to living in a van from the word go) so don’t have any direct comparison, but think it’s probably between 2 and 3 times more expensive. Bizarrely, even though you’re fulltiming, the premium will be based on the postcode of the address you use on your V5. My premium this year with Comfort was £1020. That is based on a 2016 van valued at £65k, with a Strikeback alarm, reversing camera and unlimited mileage ....... and a Romsey postcode. If I’d used a Wigan postcode it would have been hundreds more. Ludicrous when you consider the van will not be parked at either Romsey or Wigan ...... but that’s just the way it goes. o_O

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Thanks guys. I've passed on the info from here. Mum said that they used their Murcia address when they bought the van over here but obviously aren't living there anymore. I have recommended their best option will be to try AIB, Comfort etc for full timing insurance cover.

They are quite capable of getting their finger out and figuring out the rest themselves.

Hopefully someone will buy my flat soon and I will be getting myself some full timing insurance next! :D2

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
So thought I'd put a little update on this....

Turns out my Aunty and her partner have realised they have been travelling around the UK, France and Spain for the best part of a year with out proper insurance. They have turned up in Edinburgh to hopefully sort it out.

Anyone who walks on Portobello beach will probably see them. They will be the clueless looking couple having a smoke.

Seems they are trying to convince my mum to let them park on her drive and hook up till they get the van sold. Mum isn't so happy and is currently trying to think of a water tight excuse to not let them :LOL: Me and my sister of course think this is hilarious.

I have tried to point out that if my Aunty gets her self a UK address, which shouldn't be hard as most family are here, she should be able to get a basic policy which should give them maybe 6 months Euro cover which would have done them until they got something more permanent.

Off for now, out to buy the popcorn!

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
OK this is rumbling on a bit now and I have been dragged in to it to see if I can help. Turns out both my Aunty and her partner have Spanish residency so can't get insured by Brit companies. @gus-lopez you pointed out that there are some Spanish companies that will insure Brit reg vehicles. Have you any numbers for their intermediaries that I can pass on?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
OK this is rumbling on a bit now and I have been dragged in to it to see if I can help. Turns out both my Aunty and her partner have Spanish residency so can't get insured by Brit companies. @gus-lopez you pointed out that there are some Spanish companies that will insure Brit reg vehicles. Have you any numbers for their intermediaries that I can pass on?

I'm now intrigued about the technical side of this scenario.

Gus @gus-lopez, how can someone have Spanish residency and yet their vehicle is still legally registered in the UK.

Thanks good mate,;)

Andrew

Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I had a quote from this company a couple of years ago who would insure a uk registered vehicle in Portugal. Cant remember all the details but heres the link.

Linda18

Free Member
Jan 8, 2018
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2003
Comfort Insurance are now offering advice etc about full timing in a van and also insurance.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Liberty Seguros is one.
Broken Link Removed

These advertise that any UK vehicle they insure is notified to the dvla & MID Tuesday/Fridays every week.

Abbeygate , which is a UK company provide it
http://www.abbeygateinsure.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6LCIwuH03QIVRhbTCh0cfw6FEAAYAiAAEgJ99PD_BwE

Linea Directa ,I think do provide it.
https://coches.lineadirecta.com/car...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNTD6N_h9N0CFYPV1Qodwa4EdA

& Mapfre used to;
https://segurosmapfre.mapfre.es/?se...VxCnTCh3p_wA5EAAYASAAEgIQHfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If they are spanish residents then they are illegally driving the vehicle when in spain if it is UK registered..

I'm now intrigued about the technical side of this scenario.

Gus @gus-lopez, how can someone have Spanish residency and yet their vehicle is still legally registered in the UK.

Thanks good mate,;)

Andrew
Well they can, it is a whole can of worms ,what isn't legal is them driving it in spain :
A resident of a country, whether a national or foreign permanent,can only drive a vehicle registered in that country.
When the resident is out of the country he/she can legally own & drive a vehicle registered in any other country.
It was basically brought in to stop Vat evasion/buying in a cheaper state/running on foreign plates. Like many other eu directives no thought was actually given to how any interact with others.

So whilst I can only drive a spanish vehicle here once out of spain I can drive anything. Problem for me is that if I wish to buy a lhd in the UK no one there , as your aunt/uncle have found out, will insure me as I am not a resident. Yes I can buy in other EU states , as a non.resident & obtain insurance, ,even if it is only to export the vehicle.

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
As Gus Lopez has said, residents of a country - that is, people formally signed up - can only legally drive a vehicle that they own if it is registered/plated in that country. I have been winging it by not taking Spanish residency ['obligatory' after 90 days] and having full UK documentation on a GB reg vehicle but because of Brexit I am going to reg as a resident. I think operating under the radar post-Brexit is going to be far more difficult and, when it comes to vehicle infractions, the Spanish can be extremely heavy-handed.

Just in the nick of time it looks like I have found a company which will register my RHD self-built to SP plates. This is the only legal way to go. This will cost about 1100€ including new headlamps [196€ supply/fit/VAT] and import tax, which in my case will be <200€ because the value of my base vehicle is now <£2000. Good panel vans are UK is so cheap.

Once on SP plates I can drive past the HQ of the Valencia police to and from Brico Depot with a cheery wave rather than gritted teeth.

Can anyone suggest good, cheap insurance companies for a SP plated, RHD camper? In addition to the ones Gus has mentioned? Maybe, with SP plates, the RHD doesn't figure too much.

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Just got a quote from Abbeygate Insurance. It is a UK company operating in Spain, based in Malaga.

For a DIY PVC to a RHD 2004 Vauxhall/Opel Movano 2.5. :h:.5 tonne. Spanish reg. Valued at 3000€. <10k kms pa. Full comp inc Europe-wide breakdown cover, glass to 600€ max [no excess] 90 day 'Green Card' [outside Spain] 618€ p.a.

This doesn't look like a good deal to me. Can anybody point me to another company that can do better?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Vehicle insurance is dear here. I pay 485€ t,p,f & t for a 30 year old c class with 36 years ncb used on it.
Try a broker . Mine is with Generali

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Vehicle insurance is dear here. I pay 485€ t,p,f & t for a 30 year old c class with 36 years ncb used on it.
Try a broker . Mine is with Generali

Thanks Gus. How much is 'road tax'? The guy who is going to do the re-reg has it that 'you will be liable for road tax of €30 approx. (balance of 2018),' As I understand the tax is annual, Jan - Dec, that must mean it's pretty cheap.

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
@Hilewaychile

We are with Libery Seguros we have our apartment/car and motorhome with them, ;) they then discount the policies our motorhome is 2017 pvc full comp no restrictions €580 inc green card, it covers the vechicle not the driver anyone over 25 with a licence, when we taxed it in March it cost €93 but our region is expensive, all regions are different. (y) Bob.

Last edited:

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
@Hilewaychile

We are with Libery Seguros we have our apartment/car and motorhome with them, ;) they then discount the policies our motorhome is 2017 pvc full comp no restrictions €580 inc green card, it covers the vechicle not the driver anyone over 25 with a licence, when we taxed it in March it cost €93 but our region is expensive, all regions are different. (y) Bob.

Thanks Bob. Two supplementaries .. Did they inc Recovery? Abbeygate did.
Is the tax by Region or Province? We're both in VLC Region.

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
@Hilewaychile

Lib-Seguros it is for me, too, Bob. Silvia Martinez in the Alicante office is excellent to deal with, perfect English, replies instanter to queries etc.

Like you, I have taken a 'bundle' of camper ins and household/property cover. 540€ for the camper and 146€ for a property policy. With the 30€ + 90€ discount the total is less than Abbeygate's quote just for the van.

I could spend yet more time fishing for slightly cheaper quotes but it looks like we are in the ball-park, dealing with a pleasant and dependable person, so that'll do me.

All I have to do now is shell out about 1100€ to get the old bus reg to SP plates.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Thanks Gus. How much is 'road tax'? The guy who is going to do the re-reg has it that 'you will be liable for road tax of €30 approx. (balance of 2018),' As I understand the tax is annual, Jan - Dec, that must mean it's pretty cheap.

Depends .Each local council sets its own road tax rate. Ours here is similar to the UK whereas next door in Almeria they get 5 years for each year it used to cost me here. If they paid some sensible road tax inAndalucia they wouldn't need so much of the Catalans tax money & might be less hated.:LOL:

when we taxed it in March it cost €93 but our region is expensive,
:Eeek: That's not expensive
That's at least half the price it would be here in Lorca.
My Transit connect used to cost 145€ & that was when I sold it in 2009
with the tax @gus-lopez will know.
They hardly pay anything down there. :eek: :LOL: Bob
Dearest in Spain here.:cry:
My Kia Carnival last one was 185€ & that was 2 years back. The MH is exempt now but was 139 € 4 years ago.

**as an aside an acquaintance in estepona pays 65€ for his Kia carnival mpv. **
The whole situation is ludicrous. Even the itv(mot) cost varies region by region by up to 50%

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
If they paid some sensible road tax inAndalucia they wouldn't need so much of the Catalans tax money & might be less hated.:LOL:

They have to get it from somewhere and maybe from vehicle taxes it's easier to monitor. They don't get much from regular businesses, according to my experience.

Me and a friend looked at the prospect of buying a guest house/restaurant on the Costa del Sol. My friend took time out of his holiday visiting family on Mallorca to take a look. He was there 2 nights - they charged him. There were no other guests. The place had been first listed at €1m. It was down to €650k

When he asked to see the trading accounts he was told there were none - from 40 years in business, not a scrap of accounting to show. The agent [English] selling the place said that 60% of turnover in Andalucia is on the black!

When he told his Mallorquin brother in law, whose family is v big in the hotel biz, Miguel said that sounded about right. In Mallorca it's 40% on the black.

So they're making up for that by stinging you for road tax!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back