Full timers insurance

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by monzer, Sep 16, 2018 at 11:36 AM.

1. monzer

monzer Funster

Ratings:
    +510
    I said I would do a bit of digging for my Aunty and her partner who are currently in Spain somewhere in their van. They lived in Murcia for a while but sold up and have been in their van ever since. She is now asking for info about insurance for full time living in van.

I've picked up bits and pieces from the various threads on here but still haven't quite got the whole picture.

As far as I know it will just be Spain they are travelling in. It is a UK registered van but not sure of the age. Now they have sold their Spanish property I am guessing they don't have a residence for mailing etc.

Can anyone help me with the basics so I can pass any info on?

2. shawn&emma

shawn&emma Funster

Ratings:
    +990
    There will be plenty of others come along with info for you. It is a bit of a minefield and they would need an address in the uk. We are registered at a family members address and use that for all our documentation/legal stuff. Full time insurance is only offered by a couple of companies, many offer 365 day cover which people confuse with full time but it is totally different so you have to be very careful. Some insurance companies require you to be on the electoral roll as well and also see proof of address, utility bills etc.

I'm guessing the van is registered to a Uk address and has Uk mot up to date which would be required.

3. monzer

monzer Funster

Ratings:
    +510
    Thanks @shawn&emma

So do you know what the difference is between the 365 day cover and actual full timing insurance?

That's a good point about their van being registered in UK. I remember they returned to the UK to buy the van so I presume they used a relatives address here for the registration purposes. I will have to check.

Any more info would be gratefully received.

4. maz

maz Funster

Ratings:
    +2,406
    There is only one underwriter for ‘proper’ full timing insurance and that is Aviva. I believe there are three brokers which offer this insurance - Comfort, AIB and maybe Adrian Flux. I full time and am insured via Comfort. Basically, if you do not have a bricks-and-mortar residence that you can prove you actually live in (as opposed to renting out to other people), then you need fulltiming insurance. If you only have 365 day touring insurance and you need to make a claim, then if you cannot prove you have an actual residence your claim may well be rejected,

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. monzer

monzer Funster

Ratings:
    +510
    @maz

Thanks for that. So is there a fair bit of difference, price wise, between the 365 touring cover and the actual full time living in van cover? Do you mind if I ask a for a rough idea of price for the kind of insurance you have?

6. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Ratings:
    +25,611
    Plenty of spanish companies will legally insure UK registered vehicles through UK based intermediaries. Might beworth asking as the requirements would usually be far less arduous.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. shawn&emma

shawn&emma Funster

Ratings:
    +990
    Thanks @maz you explained the 365 day better than I could have.

@monzer We paid around £1200 per year for our full time insurance. That was for an american van though, when we changed the insurance due to being in a house for a couple of years whilst working the price came down to about £400.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. maz

maz Funster

Ratings:
    +2,406
    Fulltiming cover will be considerably more expensive than normal touring cover. I’ve only ever fulltimed (went straight to living in a van from the word go) so don’t have any direct comparison, but think it’s probably between 2 and 3 times more expensive. Bizarrely, even though you’re fulltiming, the premium will be based on the postcode of the address you use on your V5. My premium this year with Comfort was £1020. That is based on a 2016 van valued at £65k, with a Strikeback alarm, reversing camera and unlimited mileage ....... and a Romsey postcode. If I’d used a Wigan postcode it would have been hundreds more. Ludicrous when you consider the van will not be parked at either Romsey or Wigan ...... but that’s just the way it goes. o_O

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. monzer

monzer Funster

Ratings:
    +510
    Thanks guys. I've passed on the info from here. Mum said that they used their Murcia address when they bought the van over here but obviously aren't living there anymore. I have recommended their best option will be to try AIB, Comfort etc for full timing insurance cover.

They are quite capable of getting their finger out and figuring out the rest themselves.

Hopefully someone will buy my flat soon and I will be getting myself some full timing insurance next! :D2

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2