Full timers, coming to an end (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Have you or anyone know of Fulltimers that have been traveling around Europe for years that have no property back in England and they are no longer able to travel due to age/health or lack of money and end up parked somewhere back in England.

Do they apply for social housing ..?

Certain benefits..?

Does this happen..?

Your thoughts and facts appreciated....(y)

Deleted User
Depends very much on personal circumstances, we will be in that position in a few years and while we don't have the capital to buy property again we have enough pension income to rent and that is what we always planned.

I would not like to be in the position of having no savings or income.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We were fulltimers for about 3 years, but the wife couldn't get used to not having a permanent place. Her brother offered us a flat and that was it, back in bricks and mortar.
Part of the problem is she won't retire, so we needed a permanent plot in the Ipswich area, and couldn't find one.

We used my eldest daughters address for doctors and other things, although I had proper very expensive full-time insurance.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
;) I will answer this when you visit. :LOL:

That's the trouble with this life thing. ;) No one knows when the end is, :D so how can you plan for your future. :LOL:

Funny you hear a lot about not having a property in the UK, and we think it strange when people rent houses, but many do, my dad rented the same house until he died 60 years. :eek:
Next question Gary is ;) are you going full time. :LOL: Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
We have talked this through endlessly.
We have property in the uk that we rent, but no intention of living in the uk when we settle.
Been full time for over 4 years and when we have had enough (no time soon) we will be renting in Spain.
But plans are made to change!

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
;) I will answer this when you visit. :LOL:

That's the trouble with this life thing. ;) No one knows when the end is, :D so how can you plan for your future. :LOL:

Funny you hear a lot about not having a property in the UK, and we think it strange when people rent houses, but many do, my dad rented the same house until he died 60 years. :eek:
Next question Gary is ;) are you going full time. :LOL: Bob.

I asked this question as I’ve seen many long termers on sites around Spain mostly but in France too. Spoken to quite a few along our travels and they mention selling up or moving out of rented in the uk and literally spending the kids inheritance....

They also say they have no idea on what will happen if and when they go back to the uk with nothing but the Motorhome.
Would a basic pension be enough to rent privately..?

Full time Bob...? No..... well not yet anyway....:D2

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
A friend of mine ,???? ,,,,,lived on a boat ( tried to convince him to get a van )!.... Anyways he had some health issues & ,,,, so he informed me , the Council paid his mooring fees ?? As disability ..
He has sold his boat & now resides in a static on a site in Norfolk ... He says he gets his ground rent paid etc . ??? But it's not a permanent site , as ya have to vacate for 6 weeks ...
Don't know the legal stuff or disability ££s availability ...plus he now has to pay ( so he says ) council tax .... paid though by the council .All vimplicated & im unsure of validity ...

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I expect to have nothing in another ten or fifteen years,,,

But I’m not in the slightest bit worried!!!

I will meet a woman who has bundles and that’s me sorted!! I don’t need a lot,,,

Or I will do a massive drug run in Helga,,,
When I’m 70. Shit or bust,,, xxx

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If your truly skint the council will pay some of your outgoings, but that and a basic state pension is still a frugal existence.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Seriously though,,,, I think in this country you either have to have money, or nothing!!

People with money will obviously be ok, houses etc private pensions and the like,,,

And the ones on benefits don’t seem to worry,,,

It’s the ones in the middle that get screwed!!

But if I’m going to end up with nothing, I will start a permanent just giving site and you lot can pay my wages,,, I reckon 50p a week from every member, and I will be fine!! X

I’m fact I’m thinking of asking Jim for a pension, the amount of hours I’m on here!!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hardly likely . If it did what would you then pay council tax, electric, water food with?
But if you were on basic pension with no savings you would be entitled to housing benefit so yes you could rent,,BUSBY,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Have you or anyone know of Fulltimers that have been traveling around Europe for years that have no property back in England and they are no longer able to travel due to age/health or lack of money and end up parked somewhere back in England.

Do they apply for social housing ..?

Certain benefits..?

Does this happen..?

Your thoughts and facts appreciated....(y)

Social housing is always available from housing associations for the over 55 s,,,Reason being that their elderly tenants regularly die,,,its an age thing,,BUSBY,,

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
why do folks think they can 'plan'...............there is no planned future.........you will die at anytime........tonight...........20 years...........there is no plan !!

night night all.............

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
why do folks think they can 'plan'...............there is no planned future.........you will die at anytime........tonight...........20 years...........there is no plan !!

night night all.............

Are you trying to cheer us up ?? BUSBY:D

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
We met a couple in their late 70's or even 80's, had a VW camper. They had lived all over the world as staff of the Foreign Office and had never owned a house in the UK. Possibly on good pensions it wasn't for us to ask but this was their life plan at the time until they couldn't any more.

They were keen cyclists, no make that very keen. It appeared to keep them fit. They rented somewhere on the south coast for 4 months of the year, rented in the winter on the Costa del Sol, used the other 4 moths travelling backwards and forwards visiting mates on the way. They had lots of company both in the UK and Spain due to cycling clubs, appeared to be having the life of Riley.

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
I know they’ve changed the rules on housing benefit. You can only leave the country for 4 weeks a year now.

Sorry don’t know anybody the other rules.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
@scotjimland came home from a life on the road with his family, he will be able to give you some answers

If I remember correctly, Jim came back to the UK and bought a house in Suffolk..

Had a nice RV to sell when he got home...

And did not put all his eggs in one basket...

I think most dream of driving off into the wilderness and travelling...

Sounds ideal and lovely .... But.... How many sit and think out the long term problems, Health, Family commitments... finances etc..

We are lucky in this country that some help is at hand... but NOW not a lot....

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I know they’ve changed the rules on housing benefit. You can only leave the country for 4 weeks a year now.

That may be the

That may be the rule but who enforces it,,,Someone i know does 4 months away twice a year,,,,,BUSBY,,

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
That may be the

That may be the rule but who enforces it,,,Someone i know does 4 months away twice a year,,,,,BUSBY,,

Wait until they’ve got all the different government department computers talking to one another.......

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Wait until they’ve got all the different government department computers talking to one another.......

How long will that take ?? They can't get different Health Authorities computers talking to each other and that can be life and death,,,BUSBY,,

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Folk abroad just catch a return flight for a few days. Show their face then back to Spain. Trust properties can be more strict.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I think there's something called 'pension credits' too. Designed to top up a basic pension. And don't forget your basic pension is triple locked....for now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back