Full-timers advice please (1 Viewer)

Nomadic Nell

Free Member
Dec 3, 2018
Funster No
Hi
I am selling my house and going on the road full-time shortly . I have been playing at it for a while but I am a natural nomad and want to give it a go.
Can you give me some advice on the best motorhome to buy? I need space for my two grown-up sons to join me, the dog and need to be warm in winter.
Thanks.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
You need to decide on the layout that suits you best for a starter, do you want a fixed rear bed or a lounge etc. Do you have your C1 category on your driving licence so you can drive a vehicle over 3500kgs? I have a rear lounge as I wanted the lounging space if I was going to be living in the van. The main drawback is the lack of a garage for storage. You could look at a drop down bed in an A class or an overhead cab bed. If you read similar posts on here you will say that not many people find the ideal layout or have a number of vans before finding the right one for them. If I changed my van now (Swift Sundance 630L) I would be looking for the following:
Full size fridge
Seperate shower and toilet
Garage big enough for two bikes
Plenty of lounging space
I love the layout in the new Chausson 640 which has a drop down bed over the lounge leaving lots of room for the other facilities and its under 3500kgs as well. But there's a multitude of layouts available, you need to have a look at some vans at dealerships or motorhome shows and see which fits your criteria.

Simon Richardson

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
East bound & down.
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer 150 I
Exp
Full timing since Dec 2017
For us storage space was very important, however 75 % of that is take up by the things my Wife 'needs'!

For me it was a comfy bed as I planned on spending more time in it than I did when working.

You'll always have to compromise on something - bigger kitchen means smaller lounge etc - just think about what's important to you and look at lots of models before spending your hard earned.

Budget is another big consideration....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: SMB

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome, from two more fulltimers.

There are so many variables, depending on your life style.

Do you like sport/outdoor activities etc, you need to make sure you have enough payload.

Are you going to winter abroad or in the UK?

What size of motorhome do you think you would be comfortable driving?

Many things to consider. If you give us a few more details of the type of life you are aiming for, I am sure a few good suggestions will be forth coming.

Reactions: SMB
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
:welcome4: I too am a long termer ;) .

Due to a health prob ive been stuck in one place for over a year.
Boy am i glad i bought the van i did . It is a bit bigger than ideal for exploring tiny places but i have had no problems going where ever i wanted in Scotland and Cornwall on the single lane A roads and worse.
Mine isn't a mahoosive van like some folks have mind if i was in the position to change in the future i would go bigger.
The main thing ive found living all year round in this country is that you want a winterised van .
My van is toasty with minimal heating and that means allot .
Its an old van but nothing breaks due to flimseyness , im making words up .
If you are taking two grown up sons you will need payload as has been said.
I can carry my 125 bike in the garage , thanks @Jaws its still going well, with a really comfy fixed bed above i can sit up in, i normally sleep laying down though(y)
Mines 7.6 meters long and 4.6 ton .
Took me ages to find it as i was on a budget its a Hymer Starline 680.

The best money ive ever spent on anything to do with motor homes is the 15 quid subscription to join properly on here.
Best of luck it can be done , sometimes you have to just go for it i say :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You need to consider its the equivalent of living in just one 7ft x 20ft room of a house, including the toilet, shower and kitchen, for possibly years

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
just a few thoughts to mull over..

when I was considering full-time I was told to put a mattresses on my kitchen floor, a porta-pottie to pee in, live in there for a month, see how you get on.. ideally do this in winter. I didn't do that but found out it wasn't so far from the truth.

why choose to do that when you can live in your house.. and travel when you want to. ?

If you are funding the full-time lifestyle from the sale of the house have you worked out how long the proceeds will last ?

Even a frugal full timer will need at least £10k - £12k per year..

not being a wet banket, we did it for 3 years .. so have some idea what it's like.. it's not nirvana, just anther type of lifestyle with a different set of problems.

if you don't like it or can't afford it, and don't have a house to go back to, it's difficult to get rental or council housing.. so think about renting the house rather than selling.. and using the income to live on.. that gives you an exit when or if you decide it's not for you.

Alternatively.. sell and downsize to a flat and rent that out.

good luck and as advised, join the forum for advice and support when you 'hit the road'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back