Full time (1 Viewer)

Bailey baby

Free Member
Jul 16, 2018
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach se 6
Hi there, I have a friend who has just lost his job and home. He is thinking of going fulltime in a motorhome, he has a few questions to ask and I am hoping you can help.
If he gets universal credit can he claim site fees instead of rent. This is because where he is there not many park up spots to get a good night sleep, so would need to use cl's. If so does he need show receipts each week to get paid. Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Sorry if this has been already discussed, I couldn't find any posting. Stay safe everyone.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
1st thing I would think is get an address. Parents, kids, brother, sister etc. He will find everything so much easier.

OP
OP
Bailey baby

Bailey baby

Free Member
Jul 16, 2018
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach se 6
Thank you for your reply. He has an address for post, bank everything else. It is more about would he get help with site fees if intitled to. He is only it would short time fix, but with what is going on you never know.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Could he not ask the CAB?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
I doubt it and why should he

For the same reason that someone who has lost their job and is living in a rented house would have it covered.

I do think (though do not know) that it wouldn't be covered but think that if rent is covered then so should relevant site fees as these are to all intents and purposes just another form of rent for full timers

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For the same reason that someone who has lost their job and is living in a rented house would have it covered.

I do think (though do not know) that it wouldn't be covered but think that if rent is covered then so should relevant site fees as these are to all intents and purposes just another form of rent for full timers
The issue with site fees is that they are likely to include 'utilities' too which wouldn't normally be paid so even if he was able to claim the 'rent' aspect, how he would prove what was rent and what wasn't would be difficult. Also you don't have a rental agreement with a site as you can leave at any time which is different to being in normal rented accommodation and this in itself could mean he won't qualify.

The only people who can answer this is the benefits bods.

Oct 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9095DF
Exp
Since 2015
Never be afraid to ring the local Jobcentre regarding a benefit claim and ask the question. The Jobcentre would far prefer to give the advice than look towards a fraud or deprivation case later. When you ring, always take a name, date and time and note it down.

Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi there, I have a friend who has just lost his job and home. He is thinking of going fulltime in a motorhome, he has a few questions to ask and I am hoping you can help.
If he gets universal credit can he claim site fees instead of rent. This is because where he is there not many park up spots to get a good night sleep, so would need to use cl's. If so does he need show receipts each week to get paid. Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Sorry if this has been already discussed, I couldn't find any posting. Stay safe everyone.
Hi,

I can't be 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure everything is still processed online and payments are given based on input. JobCentres are not asking people to walk in each month as before (at least that was the case back in November). Your friend may have to upload receipts for payment of 'rent', but not much more. Best thing to do I would say is to just get them to go online and make the claim. He will need access to Internet each week to update them on job searches etc. All the best to him.

... and I've just seen the original post date - don't I feel silly. How is he getting on after these few months now?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would be interested to know I didn't see the thread before but wonder if you move out of a house to full-time whether you are intentionally homeless so unable to claim site fees. I suspect that it could be you might be expected to take up a place on a travellers site if one became available.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I realise this is an old thread but I can answer this one. A friend of mine is a fulltimer, he was made redundant last spring due to Covid.

The job centre was open then so he made an appointment, he went and explained his circumstances, lost job, NFA, lives in van. NFA wasn't a problem, anyone with NFA can use their local job centre address for upto 12 months. pitch fees were paid once he got a receipt from the site he was staying on. This in my opinion is where a scam could be put in place.

If my friend would have gone to the most expensive site in the area and got a receipt for let's say £20/night (to keep it at round figures) he would be entitled to £140/week housing benefit, once the claim is approved there would be nothing to stop him going to a CS and pay £10/night and pocket £10 each day.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I’m no expert I’ve never claimed anything before but I would of thought he would be classed as homeless

Oct 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9095DF
Exp
Since 2015
I realise this is an old thread but I can answer this one. A friend of mine is a fulltimer, he was made redundant last spring due to Covid.

The job centre was open then so he made an appointment, he went and explained his circumstances, lost job, NFA, lives in van. NFA wasn't a problem, anyone with NFA can use their local job centre address for upto 12 months. pitch fees were paid once he got a receipt from the site he was staying on. This in my opinion is where a scam could be put in place.

If my friend would have gone to the most expensive site in the area and got a receipt for let's say £20/night (to keep it at round figures) he would be entitled to £140/week housing benefit, once the claim is approved there would be nothing to stop him going to a CS and pay £10/night and pocket £10 each day.
if he had done that, he would have committed fraud. Also, he may receive a visit from a visiting officer. If his Van was not in situ, his benefit would be immediately stopped and investigated as to dates he left the site. He would then be processed as to what type of fine/court appearance would be issued.

Oct 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9095DF
Exp
Since 2015
I would be interested to know I didn't see the thread before but wonder if you move out of a house to full-time whether you are intentionally homeless so unable to claim site fees. I suspect that it could be you might be expected to take up a place on a travellers site if one became available.
You would not make yourself intentionally homeless as you have moved into a van. Intentionally homeless is when you leave a property and move in say with friends to gain a property supplied by a HA/council. You would not be sent to a travellers site, unless you wanted to reside on one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back