Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have a full time policy via Comfort. I have always found them to be polite and efficient.

This years renewal was £845 with mileage limit of 6000 miles per year which is okay for us.

We had no trouble getting things organised for full timing. We use our daughter's address for important things - V5, bank etc everything else goes via boatmail.co.uk.

Full timing is not for everyone but we are having a great time.

Paul

richard jackson

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Exmouth uk
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
hoping too next year
Just been in touch with comfort, they will not insure any vehicle older than 2005 full time anyone know if anyone else will.

richard jackson

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Exmouth uk
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
hoping too next year
BreweryDave,I did get a quote from Adrian Flux, unsure now if this is for full time, closed now till monday, fully comp £650 no extras, for small 2 berth, 180 days europe at a time, what do i need to show to prove residency in property, i own a house but i want to rent it out, while we travel, but will be on electoral role and all my insurance and driving licence will be at this address. Rich.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
@richard jackson
Rich, there is only one official FT policy as above. We too own a house and rent it BUT a condition for FT is that you have no connection with it, have to register everything elsewhere! It's bizarre but thems the rules for the Aviva full time policy. We use a boat mail address
Be interesting to see what Adrian Flux have to say on your circumstances as you technically have no fixed abode. That's what the FT policy allows. You also get 365 days cover for everything all over Europe.
To prove residency you need to live somewhere and be able to prove it with utility bills etc.

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
@richard jackson you would need to have gas, electric concil tax and phone bills in your name at the address to prove residency.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
@Easyliving I too have a full timers policy with comfort. I wanted to limit milage this year to reduce premium but was told all ft policies are now unlimited milage if you want it or not.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
AIB in southampton also use the aviva ft policy but i found were cheaper. Will try them on renewal.

richard jackson

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Exmouth uk
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
hoping too next year
Problem is the motorhome I have agreed to buy is 2004 and they only accept 2005 on.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Problem is the motorhome I have agreed to buy is 2004 and they only accept 2005 on.
Therefore you won’t be able to insure for full time use, with the full time policy I’m afraid. That said, it’s gotta be worth chatting with both Comfort and AIB and see if they’ll liaise direct with Aviva on your behalf.
Failing that, you may have to look at an option where you can keep an address, and prove it if need be. Again, the best way is to talk to the insurer, don’t lie, and see what you can get, they often offer solutions to get your business, just get a cast iron guarantee in writing that you are covered for what you intend to be doing, otherwise it’s a complete waste of money.

richard jackson

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Exmouth uk
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
hoping too next year
Many thanks for all your advise, can't do much till tomorrow, might have to look at different van, don't know yet, will let everyone know what outcome is on insurance. Thanks once again Rich.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
@Easyliving I too have a full timers policy with comfort. I wanted to limit milage this year to reduce premium but was told all ft policies are now unlimited milage if you want it or not.

I'm not in the van at the moment so can't check the policy wording but I always thought I was limited to 6000 miles a year hence paying 'only' £845 per year, I will have to check.

Paul

richard jackson

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Exmouth uk
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
hoping too next year
Hi, have now checked with A I B, they won't cover anything over 10year old, Comfort insurance must be younger than 2005, but Adrian Flux have confirmed this morning that they are happy with the 2004 and the price is for full time, only 180 days at a time Europe but can come back and return for another 180 days.So all good I will go with them .Rich.

richard jackson

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Exmouth uk
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
hoping too next year
Cover is fully comp, got mileage up to 15000, but can extend, 180 days europe, but breakdown only covered 90 so will look elsewhere for that,includes legal protection, £75, windscreen excess, £200 accidental damage excess, £10 windscreen repair excess. Did not take out any personal possession policy apart from standard cover with comprehensive policy, this is for a 2004 nuevo, total cost £650. couldn't get all i wanted but only insurance i could get for 2004 vehicle.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Just a thought for you, assuming you want to be abroad longer.....
If your renewal date is ( for example) 6 months after you go abroad, then you have that 6 months, renew the policy, and as it’s a new policy you have another 6 months abroad, thus you can get full 12months. You obviously have to return to the U.K. once a year anyway for an MOT, but get the timings right and you can actually be away for most of the year, as the 180 days is during that policy term, so new policy on renewal and the next 6 months kicks in. I did this with a previous policy, and I did check with the insurer, who confirmed that was ok !

richard jackson

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Exmouth uk
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
hoping too next year
a cunning plan, i like it, now i'm trying to find breakdown cover that matches, best i can see is asda, who would have thought, £134 uk and 180 days europe, restrictions on size and weight but i just get in.Same as with LV i think will try them as well. thanks for your input BreweryDave. All the best Rich,

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have a full time policy via Comfort. I have always found them to be polite and efficient.

This years renewal was £845 with mileage limit of 6000 miles per year which is okay for us.

We had no trouble getting things organised for full timing. We use our daughter's address for important things - V5, bank etc everything else goes via boatmail.co.uk.

Full timing is not for everyone but we are having a great time.

Paul
sorry for the delay,,,my wife has broken her hip and had a total replacement ...it's put us back about 6 weeks...we can use my sisters address for a c/o ...I did phone Comfort and they were very helpful, their full time insurance starts at £1000 for myself and we have decided to go with them when we purchase our MH...hopefully in the next 2 months ..thank you for your help..

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
a cunning plan, i like it, now i'm trying to find breakdown cover that matches, best i can see is asda, who would have thought, £134 uk and 180 days europe, restrictions on size and weight but i just get in.Same as with LV i think will try them as well. thanks for your input BreweryDave. All the best Rich,
I got my 2000 Peugeot talisman insured with Asda money ( advance insurance ) 180 days in EU with breakdown cover for about £300 ish.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, have now checked with A I B, they won't cover anything over 10year old, Comfort insurance must be younger than 2005, but Adrian Flux have confirmed this morning that they are happy with the 2004 and the price is for full time, only 180 days at a time Europe but can come back and return for another 180 days.So all good I will go with them .Rich.
Adrian Flux are doing fulltime insurance now and will cover a pre 2005?

richard jackson

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Exmouth uk
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
hoping too next year
Spoke to 3 different salespeople at Adrian Flux, all confirmed this was full time insurance, and age 2004 no problem, just told me to give a care of address for any paperwork. Got breakdown cover from L.V. Just get in on weight restriction.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back