full time touring

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by Ellie, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Ellie

Ellie Funster

Ratings:
    +37
    Hi all ,,I have taken your advice and decided to email Comfort insurance with my above post, they phoned and asked if they could help, I asked them if they could help me before I purchased a MoHo ..with the following,,,I'm 62 and want to buy a MoHo to go Full timing and are looking to purchase a MH for approx. £36,000 ..I was told I need an address to register the MH and for the V5 and the MoHo is not older than 2005, they do Full Time policy's starting at £1,000 ....Thank you all for your help and I will be joining you within the next few months...living our dream...I hope this will help any more newbies

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  2. Ellie

Ellie Funster

Ratings:
    +37
    Thank you , you are right , we are excited and know it will not be easy , we will be naming our MoHo "Betty"....my Mothers name ....and yes, I'm writing this with tears in my eyes ,,,,

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 3
  3. Charlie - Minton

Charlie - Minton Funster

Ratings:
    +3,354
    Love why you've picked the name "Betty" hope you have lots of great adventures.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Ellie

Ellie Funster

Ratings:
    +37
    Thank you for your kind words....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Simon Richardson

Simon Richardson Funster

Ratings:
    +26
    We full time and have a full time policy with Comfort - I can't remember how much without digging out the paperwork, but it's around £1,400.00 per annum. We have a 2017 Carthago C Tourer.

Had to have a Windscreen chip repaired after some knob in a Merc over took me on the North 500 and threw a stone at my screen - they were excellent at sorting it via Auto Glass and no glass excess either.

Not sure what I'll do come renewal time as it is a lot of money each year.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Ellie

Ellie Funster

Ratings:
    +37
    It is a lot but I look on it as how much council tax, water rates etc.etc we have to pay...we will be able to wake up at a different view every day if we wish..go abroad in winter...we MoHo's have the biggest garden in the world lol

7. Simon Richardson

Simon Richardson Funster

Ratings:
    +26
    And we can move if we don't like the neighbours! (y)

• Nice One! Nice One! x 2
  8. Ellie

Ellie Funster

Ratings:
    +37
    lol exactly ....:D

9. SMB

SMB Funster

Ratings:
    +1,006
    To be honest I wouldn't recommend getting an internet-enabled satellite dish, I cancelled my contract as it became expensive and you also have the hassle of choosing a pitch with line of sight which can be hard on the campsites with lots of trees! I use a mifi instead plus my phone is still working in Europe even though I've been abroad since September so if you get a reasonable pay monthly contract simcard for your phone that should sort you for internet and calling home. I should have mentioned that I'm limited to 10,000 miles a year on my policy but it includes breakdown, also if you have a reversing camera you get a discount, hope this helps :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Ellie

Ellie Funster

Ratings:
    +37
    yes that's helped, I'm a newbie and all information is helpful..Thank you

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

Ratings:
    +2,097
    We have a full time policy via Comfort. I have always found them to be polite and efficient.

This years renewal was £845 with mileage limit of 6000 miles per year which is okay for us.

We had no trouble getting things organised for full timing. We use our daughter's address for important things - V5, bank etc everything else goes via boatmail.co.uk.

Full timing is not for everyone but we are having a great time.

Paul

12. richard jackson

richard jackson Funster

Ratings:
    +24
    Just been in touch with comfort, they will not insure any vehicle older than 2005 full time anyone know if anyone else will.

13. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +8,525
    Nope. The Aviva FT policy is the ONLY one.

14. richard jackson

richard jackson Funster

Ratings:
    +24
    BreweryDave,I did get a quote from Adrian Flux, unsure now if this is for full time, closed now till monday, fully comp £650 no extras, for small 2 berth, 180 days europe at a time, what do i need to show to prove residency in property, i own a house but i want to rent it out, while we travel, but will be on electoral role and all my insurance and driving licence will be at this address. Rich.

15. BreweryDave

Ratings:
    +8,525
    @richard jackson
    Rich, there is only one official FT policy as above. We too own a house and rent it BUT a condition for FT is that you have no connection with it, have to register everything elsewhere! It's bizarre but thems the rules for the Aviva full time policy. We use a boat mail address
    Be interesting to see what Adrian Flux have to say on your circumstances as you technically have no fixed abode. That's what the FT policy allows. You also get 365 days cover for everything all over Europe.
    To prove residency you need to live somewhere and be able to prove it with utility bills etc.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018 at 1:30 PM
  16. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,637
    @richard jackson you would need to have gas, electric concil tax and phone bills in your name at the address to prove residency.

17. Theonlysue

Ratings:
    +5,637
    @Easyliving I too have a full timers policy with comfort. I wanted to limit milage this year to reduce premium but was told all ft policies are now unlimited milage if you want it or not.

18. Theonlysue

Ratings:
    +5,637
    AIB in southampton also use the aviva ft policy but i found were cheaper. Will try them on renewal.

19. richard jackson

richard jackson Funster

Ratings:
    +24
    Problem is the motorhome I have agreed to buy is 2004 and they only accept 2005 on.

20. BreweryDave

Ratings:
    +8,525
    Therefore you won’t be able to insure for full time use, with the full time policy I’m afraid. That said, it’s gotta be worth chatting with both Comfort and AIB and see if they’ll liaise direct with Aviva on your behalf.
    Failing that, you may have to look at an option where you can keep an address, and prove it if need be. Again, the best way is to talk to the insurer, don’t lie, and see what you can get, they often offer solutions to get your business, just get a cast iron guarantee in writing that you are covered for what you intend to be doing, otherwise it’s a complete waste of money.