Full time, looking for permanent site for van. Northampton area. (1 Viewer)

Stalk

Free Member
Jul 9, 2017
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Not Yet Purchased
Exp
Not Yet
Hello All! Happy Monday!
We are dreaming of a better life in a motor-home, or is it a van? Not down with the terminology yet, however we are both planing on continuing to work our current jobs. This brings the fear that if we leave our home in a lay-by, unattended, we will come back to vandalism, break in, or a motor-home sized space where it used to be. So we would like to find somewhere local to us around Northampton where we could be that is not a lay-by or car park, and having received an encouraging message from another member who is currently on a campsite, I thought I would ask if anyone else has done this?
I was thinking to maybe approach local farmers for a corner of a yard, or maybe a country pub car-park? Any advise or experiences would be gratefully received!
Thanks All!

Stalk

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi stalk, to stay permanently on a site you'll need to find a site that has a 12 month licence from the council. Farmers can get away with long term vans in yards but you might look for a while to find somewhere suitable. Small exempted 5 van sites are your best bet, but the longest you can stay is 28 days, so you'll need to leave at least one weekend in 4 to remain legal. Be aware that some councils, if they learn you are not touring, will try and charge you council tax. :eek:

OP
OP
S

Stalk

Free Member
Jul 9, 2017
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Not Yet Purchased
Exp
Not Yet
Hi. Small 5 van site sounds perfect for us - we intend to move around visiting/exploring etc at weekends so will be off site at least 2 weekends a month. Small exempted 5 van sites are a new concept to us - can anyone please tell us more?
Cheers all

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
It is a strange set of laws which I have come upon in business. Unless one can prove Gypsy/Romany status you cannot pitch up for long. Without the status you have virtually zero chance if you get caught / reported but if you have it you can get away with blue bloody murder.

No way should this turn into an anti gypsy debate but the facts are loaded against permanent or semi permanent siting of caravans or motor homes for the non gypsy community . If I'm honest I agree with most of them.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Were living on a cl at a farm. There are two caravans here permanently that are tucked away out of sight. We move off regularly but we have been here fifteen months now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back