Full or empty (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Regretfully, we will not be using 'tinker bell' ( blame the granddaughter) for 3 weeks. What do we do with the water tank??. Full or empty ??

I THANKYOU all in advance for your variety of replies !!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
empty, then run a weak bleach solution through before reusing. loads of nasties grow in tap water and you dont want it going stale in the tank. dont leave it with bleach in either as this will damage the boiler:thumb:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A lot will depend on whether you intend to drink the water, we never do, only use bottled water, or a bottle filled from the site tap

Therefore, we leave ours as it is, then top up before leaving home

That said even if not drinking it, a clean out occasionally can't do any harm, but yours is brand new so drain and refill when you get there or fill before you go, (see multiple threads on driving with full or empty water tanks)

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Regretfully, we will not be using 'tinker bell' ( blame the granddaughter) for 3 weeks. What do we do with the water tank??. Full or empty ??

I THANKYOU all in advance for your variety of replies !!!
Contrary to the advice of some posts, DO not use Milton has its been proven (not by me) to have a corrosive substance in it and it has been know to damage the Truma heater element...if you search the posts you will find the Topic regarding this issue :Cool:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
errrr what do you think milton is??

its simply a very dilute bleach

when i suggested bleach of course i meant simple bleach and not a thick or scented one:thumb:

Hypochlorite is bleach, which is toxic. Is the Milton Sterilising Fluid toxic also?

No. As stated above, toxicity in hypochlorites is due to the by-product of their decomposition, sodium chlorate. With the heavy ions removed Milton decomposes into water and a small amount of sodium chloride (salt).

Seems better then just using Tesco's own brand bleach???

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We never worry about it.. If you go away from home for a few weeks , when you get home do you run the taps for 10 minutes ( at least ) ??
We just fill it up and leave it.. Longest break we have is about 7 -8 weeks from mid November until we leave in January... still never worry about it.... And believe me, I have a weak stomach that seems to get upset as the merest hint of anything untoward..
Never have bought bottled water in great quantities, just a wee bottle for woman to pop pills with.. Everything else such as tea etc the water is boiled anyway.
Two years ago I got a WaterPure unit so nowadays even the wee bottles are not bought.

As an aside, for those that do nuy bottled water, have your selves a little maths work out.
Take a guess at how many bottles you use and the cost, and see how long it would take to recoup the outlay required to fit a top notch filtering system such as the WaterPure :winky::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We were told not the let water tank run dry as if it did then the hot water boiler (and presumably the taps) would need purging thro with water. IE its bad news to but boiler on if no water in it. If you drain the tank every time you come home, then sooner or later you'll try to light up a dry boiler would you not ?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Never have bought bottled water in great quantities, just a wee bottle for woman to pop pills with.. Everything else such as tea etc the water is boiled anyway.
Two years ago I got a WaterPure unit so nowadays even the wee bottles are not bought.

As an aside, for those that do nuy bottled water, have your selves a little maths work out.
Take a guess at how many bottles you use and the cost, and see how long it would take to recoup the outlay required to fit a top notch filtering system such as the WaterPure :winky::thumb:

Good point, but a bit like the gas tank debate, my logic is I hate the taste of most tap water, 4 x 1.5 litres of water cost little over £1 even cheaper in France, when taken in with the cost of fuel and camp site fees, (don't even consider depreciation and running costs) if makes virtually no difference to the cost of using the MH :thumb:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I have now been retired a year, well Simi retired anyway, And one of the posts I held was the responsible person ‘RP’ for Legionella at a large research Institute. If you tried to follow all the advice given you would probably never go near water again. So a degree of common sense is required. But to start with good old basic hygiene will cover most tank feed water systems. Fill up and use as quickly as possible. If leaving for a few weeks drain. The ‘Bug’ will not ‘grow’ below 20c or above 50c and 60c will kill it. Regular use of ‘bleach’ is good practice. Pay special attention to shower heads, remove and clean at least once a month or after a period of non-use re clean. Most of the people who contract ‘Legionella’ have a health issue, that is why older people are more likely to fair worse than younger ones, anyone with a immune compromise condition should take greater care. I could go on about this in very great depth but will stop for now but if others want more info I would be happy to share.
Steve.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
only a few week's don't worry and a new van even less to worry abut but if you do have concerns fill tank poor in one half cup of Tesco's bleach to a tank of water run through system drain thank and flush system with clean water or ask timberland for advice :ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Good point, but a bit like the gas tank debate, my logic is I hate the taste of most tap water, 4 x 1.5 litres of water cost little over £1 even cheaper in France, when taken in with the cost of fuel and camp site fees, (don't even consider depreciation and running costs) if makes virtually no difference to the cost of using the MH :thumb:

Oddly, the thing I do not like about the Waterpure system is that it is SO good the water is pretty much tasteless.. Might sound weird but I guess I am used to drinking tap water..

Typical Tap Water Content:

Chlorine
Fluorine compounds
Trihalomethanes (THMs)
Salts of:
arsenic
radium
aluminium
copper
lead
mercury
cadmium
barium
Hormones
Nitrates
Pesticides

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I only drain mine if a risk of prolonged frost. Tank is white plastic with two large inspection hatches and the inside still looks like new. Nature pure filter takes care of anything we consume. Never had bleach in my pipes :roflmto:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Water Tank - Keep Full or Empty

The dire warnings about chlorine damaging the Truma boiler put me off using Milton.

I got some Sodium Metabisulphate which you dissolve at the rate of 2 ounces per gallon to sterilise the pipes and tank. Its what is used for home brewing and wine making.

Being a S/H van who knows what the previous owners did or didn't do?

We have also half filled the waste tank with some Fenwicks tank cleaner in hot water and taken it for a ride out to have a good slosh around. Stops any nasty smells coming up the drain holes!

Its a good idea to put boiling hot water down all of the plug holes and have a pump with a sink unblocker to shift any grease in the sink, toothpaste and shaving foam/cream in the bathroom and hair/soap in the shower drain!

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I've Never put anything in the tank except water,drain it down when we get home then fill and empty before re filling .We always drink water from the tap and never have either of the four of us been ill.
If your not sure about drinking tap water you may prefer to drink it from your toilet bowl after reading reports like this!
Broken Link Removed. :Eeek:

Vlad

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I've Never put anything in the tank except water,drain it down when we get home then fill and empty before re filling .We always drink water from the tap and never have either of the four of us been ill.
If your not sure about drinking tap water you may prefer to drink it from your toilet bowl after reading reports like this!
Broken Link Removed. :Eeek:
Vlad

Very good post from VLAD, i did the same with some bottled water and the only test it just passed on was for nitrates failed all the others. I buy the water with the best bottles use the water in the kettle then refill the bottles at home and then use for what ever.
Steve

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Andy, As I said when you first did yours. If you are ever in the Mayenne area I'll pay top dollar for you to do ours, I'm just not brave enough. We've plenty of parking here and the wine always flows freely ::bigsmile:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Andy, As I said when you first did yours. If you are ever in the Mayenne area I'll pay top dollar for you to do ours, I'm just not brave enough. We've plenty of parking here and the wine always flows freely ::bigsmile:

Somehow I've got a feeling this is posted on the wrong thread :roflmto:

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
I always keep the tanks empty and fill up on site. I use "Puriclean" twice a year in the fresh tank and Bio washing tabs in the grey tanks.
We use water from our fresh tank (10 yrs old) for drinking and have never had taste or smell problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back