Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I want to buy a full frame mirrorless camera for my wife for her birthday. I know nothing about cameras, but having read a few reviews, I have a shortlist of:

Nikon D7
Sony A7R III
Canon R

I'm not sure there are too many others available anyway! At the moment I am tending towards the Nikon, but I'd be grateful for any input from anyone here who knows more than I do, particularly if you own one yourself.

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
It should be a personal choice; you should be asking your wife which she prefers.
For instance one camera's menu system may suit more than another or one camera handles more comfortably than another. I've oscillated between Canon & Nikon for 30 odd years. Performance isn't really an issue, but perhaps there's a specific lens which would dictate manufacturer choice ? (Which is why I'm currently using Canon gear ).

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you for your reply. My wife has asked me to make the choice for her. She has previously used Canon DSLRs, but my understanding is that they have changed the menu system completely on the Canon R, so familiarity doesn't really help in this case. Reviews suggest that the Nikon and the Sony are the better cameras technically. The Nikon is lighter and easier to handle than the Sony, and this is an important factor, which is steering me towards the Nikon. She has looked at the 'kit' lens frequently supplied with the Nikon, and would be happy with that to begin with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If she has a stock of existing lenses, that might influence choice.
Panasonic have released a FF mirror-less which I'd include for consideration.
Full frame = bigger, heavier, and more expensive lenses. - Are you sure that's the way you want to go?

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Yes, she's set on a full frame mirrorless. The Panasonic is worth considering, but is apparently considerably heavier than the Nikon and Canon.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
I have a Z7 because I was given one to pre-launch test and apart from the issue of having to buy new lenses as not not all of my F mount ones auto focus when used with the mount adapter, I can’t fault it but if you don’t need a 45 mb sensor (frankly, who does?) I would go for the Z6.
That said, others really rate the Sony lenses.
There is a good comparison at the following link with the usual caveats regarding K Rockwell’s prejudices.

https://kenrockwell.com/tech/comparisons/nikon-vs-canon-vs-sony-full-frame.htm

Richard

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Yes, she's set on a full frame mirrorless. The Panasonic is worth considering, but is apparently considerably heavier than the Nikon and Canon.
I'm into MFT (Olympus) so not too familiar with FF. If weight is a consideration, then I question the desire for FF. Panasonic has been good value in the MFT arena, which is why I mentioned them here. A good compromise might be the APSC format.
Having said all that, I'd still fancy one of the new FF cameras. If starting from scratch, get a kit that doesn't include the adaptor for legacy lenses.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
The Sony A7RIII is easily the most sensational camera I’ve ever had and I’ve had far far too many!

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
What swung it for you?
All of the excellent reviews talking about image quality etc. The others have their advantages, but they don't seem to be quite up there with the Sony overall. Main complaint about the Sony seems to be the menu system.

We're going for the Sony 24-105 mm F4 lens to start with, which also gets very good reviews.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back