Fuelpecker (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2010
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
I got one of these cards through the Caravan & Motorhome Club as I thought it would save a tenner or so on a fill up.
The other week I contacted them to ask what limits there were on the card, as we have a large capacity fuel tank & generally fill up with some 200 to 250 litres of fuel their reply was that there was no issue with that as the limit is 300litres per 24hours.
So the next day we collected the bus from Adi4 in Weymouth - after some super TLC - and called into an Esso station where I put in 266litres of diesel. Card offered and the machine declined - twice.
Now there is no contact number for help, so I paid as normal. I immediately sent an email to them suggesting the card was not working correctly.
I had a response telling me there is a £180 limit per 24 hours. So I sent a reply asking which station should I use where the fuel is sold at 60p per litre so that I can avail myself of the 300litres & £180 restriction.

Have heard back from Fuel pecker as below:

Dear Arthur,

We are sorry about the problem of the volume level for your card which was due to a technical issue.

We have cancelled your existing Fuelpecker card and have arranged to send you another card with increased volume level authorisation which should be with you in the next few days.

We have also credited your Fuelpecker account with GBP 20 for use with your next transaction, which you can see in your Fuelpecker account at any time.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Tom

I replied to this, to check that the financial limit equated to the volume limit as well & Tom replied to me this morning that both limits had been raised.

Can't test the limit as we have a full tank & have not been anywhere, but when & if there is drama I will report back.

The advertised saving is 4p per litre on Synergy diesel at non motorway Esso stations so it would have saved us about £10 on our original fill up. There is also a 2c saving within other countries in Europe with the addition of Avia stations in France as well as Esso & Shell.

The card does not cost so its a bit of a saving
The following link is part of their direct sign up program:

https://fuelpecker.com/?refcode=REF-GB&refId=59474

The reason for this post is that It does not say that you need to be in the Caravan & Motorhome Club, but worth a punt as on a fill up you will be able to afford a coffee or two (y) .

Regards

Arthur.

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
Save even more at a supermarket fuel station..😁
Tanker driver told me ages ago the the supermarkets pay a lot less for their fuel because the don’t put the additives in. Thats ok if you use it quick but many motorhomes sit around for weeks. The cheap fuel then grows a bug that blocks your fuel lines and filters. I had that problem and have never purchased from them since.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Tanker driver told me ages ago the the supermarkets pay a lot less for their fuel because the don’t put the additives in. Thats ok if you use it quick but many motorhomes sit around for weeks. The cheap fuel then grows a bug that blocks your fuel lines and filters. I had that problem and have never purchased from them since.
Must be why I keep having to drive around all those broken down cars, trucks And motorhomes along the roads then....😉

Deleted User
Nice story but not really true 🌝. I worked in the oil industry for many years and I'm fully aware of the additives in fuel and always buy from supermarkets. Their fuel meets all the British and European standards and their sites often have a greater turn over of stock than branded forecourts. 👍.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

first my history.... 47 years in the fuel shipping and trading business, most of which is dealing with fuel quality for and with big global players. The tanker driver, to be fair to him, was only speaking part of the truth, as you would expect from someone not physically involved with the blending of the fuel. Consider a few facts.......
  1. all fuel has to meet The same specifications, no matter who provided it. It is illegal to sell something that does not meet the spec.
  2. these specifications are the ones against which engines are developed and they use many examples of real pump fuel to do this
  3. most fuel comes from the same terminals - you would be amazed at the different brands that come out of Vopak or other terminals.
  4. the only different in additives (apart from super fuels) is what the marketing people decide to put in (small parts per million) to try and boost sales. No functional difference to the fuel at all
  5. the way the specifications are written effectively mean that the same components and proportion of components is used in whatever brand of fuel, as it is simply uneconomical to do otherwise
  6. if supermarket fuel is such crap, as Just smiffy says below why aren’t we seeing broken down vehicles all over the place. We don’t.
  7. I use supermarket fuel almost all the time - it is not got to damage any vehicle
  8. bugs in fuel can happen with any fuel - anaerobic bacteria to be precise. Hard to get rid of as biocides don’t always work. A half empty tank can attract condensation over time and the bacteria can form in the water layer. It is actually quite rare, but A disaster on a ship with 60 tonnes of smelly gas oil

Must be why I keep having to drive around all those broken down cars, trucks And motorhomes along the roads then....😉

spot on Smiffy (y) (y)

I think DuxDeluxe is your man for supermarket fuel controversy vs facts...

But there are always people who believe if you pay more for something you must be getting better quality...

yep - very true Steve

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yep,any body who knows anything knows that supermarket fuel is crap.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
I normally use Shell/Total diesel in my vehicules, when I 'm forced to buy either Leclerc/Super 'U' Supermarket fuel my average fuel consumption increases!

The difference is more pronounced in the 'VW' than the 'Ducato'.

Robert

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Wonder what the original motorhome is resumably an RV with tanks that size. Hardly worth the saving for us and I bet the supermarket fuel still works out cheaper. We did have a pump king card as where we live fuel is more expensive than average but they refuced the discount to a point where it didn't seem worth bothering.

Aug 16, 2018
West Wiltshire
Funster No
Exp
Long time
I use fuelpecker, they took over from pumping, issued new cards etc, and I also have other cards, at the moment, 5p cheaper than pump price for Esso diesel, 4p cheaper than pump for petrol.
I also have a big limit as well, but when you put 1500 litres a time in then it makes it worth while.
They have been cheaper than other card suppliers of late, especially when you do a bit of shopping around on price.
A link here for fuelpecker https://fuelpecker.com/?refcode=REF-GB&refId=20650

Make your own minds up, it works for me. Credit limits are negotiable, as with all types of cards.
By the way, I don't have a big tank on mh ! It is a truck that takes all of that, and if you use a standard pump not a commercial one it only lets you have 100 litres at a time, so have to keep putting nozzle back and starting again !

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Wonder what the original motorhome is resumably an RV with tanks that size. Hardly worth the saving for us and I bet the supermarket fuel still works out cheaper. We did have a pump king card as where we live fuel is more expensive than average but they refuced the discount to a point where it didn't seem worth bothering.
Yes, pump king was a good deal, but fuelpecker is hardly worth it apart from the fact that the Esso station is a mile from storage and I always keep the tank full to avoid condensation issues

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I normally use Shell/Total diesel in my vehicules, when I 'm forced to buy either Leclerc/Super 'U' Supermarket fuel my average fuel consumption increases!

The difference is more pronounced in the 'VW' than the 'Ducato'.

Robert
A lot of people say that - e.g. on the Jaguar group, but it was all anecdotal. Shell VPower (other super fuels are available) is a fuel worth using as it is not only a semi synthetic fuel** but also contains extra detergents and cetane boosters. Gives the engine a bit of a clean that no standard pump fuel can do. Better than using an additive.

**Vpower is mostly made from GTL (gas to liquid) process where instead of normal refinery distillation, cracking, hydro treating etc etc - this is formed From gas components and reverse engineered into what is inherently a more pure product. It is very light in colour and the smell is notably different

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
With the Fuelpecker card you have to hunt out the Esso garages for the cheap fuel, as Esso are more expensive as well as Shel. We got a Tesco Express in Mansfield which is a little cheaper so with the card it’s not bad. Still not as cheap as Morrison’s at the mo. (y)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Diesel engines were designed to to run on any oil based crap that you wanted to use, the chap that runs his merc on the local chip shop oil uses a special potato additive....😂
Yip, however he does sometimes fill up with the enhanced special fish additive version. There is, of course, a super duper option up here of super special additive, Mars Bar! :whistle2:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thank You DuxDeluxe for your comprehensive explanation of the difference and benefits of using Shell VPower/Excellium. I will show your reply to Madame to explain why I don't 'buy the cheaper diesel'!

Many Thanks

Robert
I did a bit of research when I had a company car (Merc 220D auto). Over 3000 miles of only using premium (super fuel) products such as BP Ultimate and Shell VPower and driving mostly trunk roads the MPG was better than with standard fuel and it was slightly cost negative. Can't remember the exact figures as it was about 8 years ago and I lost the spreadsheets. The car felt no different at all.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I use fuelpecker, they took over from pumping, issued new cards etc, and I also have other cards, at the moment, 5p cheaper than pump price for Esso diesel, 4p cheaper than pump for petrol.
I also have a big limit as well, but when you put 1500 litres a time in then it makes it worth while.
They have been cheaper than other card suppliers of late, especially when you do a bit of shopping around on price.
A link here for fuelpecker https://fuelpecker.com/?refcode=REF-GB&refId=20650

Make your own minds up, it works for me. Credit limits are negotiable, as with all types of cards.
By the way, I don't have a big tank on mh ! It is a truck that takes all of that, and if you use a standard pump not a commercial one it only lets you have 100 litres at a time, so have to keep putting nozzle back and starting again !
Can the fuelpecker card be used at Esso Tesco Express fuel stations and is there any discount on the normal Esso diesel or is the discount only on the higher priced Esso Synergy. TIA.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
I got one of these cards through the Caravan & Motorhome Club as I thought it would save a tenner or so on a fill up.
The other week I contacted them to ask what limits there were on the card, as we have a large capacity fuel tank & generally fill up with some 200 to 250 litres of fuel their reply was that there was no issue with that as the limit is 300litres per 24hours.
So the next day we collected the bus from Adi4 in Weymouth - after some super TLC - and called into an Esso station where I put in 266litres of diesel. Card offered and the machine declined - twice.
Now there is no contact number for help, so I paid as normal. I immediately sent an email to them suggesting the card was not working correctly.
I had a response telling me there is a £180 limit per 24 hours. So I sent a reply asking which station should I use where the fuel is sold at 60p per litre so that I can avail myself of the 300litres & £180 restriction.

Have heard back from Fuel pecker as below:

Dear Arthur,

We are sorry about the problem of the volume level for your card which was due to a technical issue.

We have cancelled your existing Fuelpecker card and have arranged to send you another card with increased volume level authorisation which should be with you in the next few days.

We have also credited your Fuelpecker account with GBP 20 for use with your next transaction, which you can see in your Fuelpecker account at any time.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Tom

I replied to this, to check that the financial limit equated to the volume limit as well & Tom replied to me this morning that both limits had been raised.

Can't test the limit as we have a full tank & have not been anywhere, but when & if there is drama I will report back.

The advertised saving is 4p per litre on Synergy diesel at non motorway Esso stations so it would have saved us about £10 on our original fill up. There is also a 2c saving within other countries in Europe with the addition of Avia stations in France as well as Esso & Shell.

The card does not cost so its a bit of a saving
The following link is part of their direct sign up program:

https://fuelpecker.com/?refcode=REF-GB&refId=59474

The reason for this post is that It does not say that you need to be in the Caravan & Motorhome Club, but worth a punt as on a fill up you will be able to afford a coffee or two (y) .

Regards

Arthur.
Can you explain briefly what the fuelpecker is and how it operates please, as I have never heard of it before. TIA

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Diesel engines were designed to to run on any oil based crap that you wanted to use, the chap that runs his merc on the local chip shop oil uses a special potato additive....😂
I think you'd probably have no problem running an older Mercedes engine or the old Transit type Direct Injection engine on chip shop oil but I wouldn't dare risk using chip oil in a Common Rail system which is fitted to just about most diesel engines from 2001.

Aug 16, 2018
West Wiltshire
Funster No
Exp
Long time
If I remember correctly it is used in all Esso stations, and discounts on all fuel types.
You pay with the fuel card, and in a couple of days you are invoiced with the discounted price and your bank debited by the discounted amount.
I have never had any problems with them.

OP
OP
Arthur01
Apr 30, 2010
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
Can the fuelpecker card be used at Esso Tesco Express fuel stations and is there any discount on the normal Esso diesel or is the discount only on the higher priced Esso Synergy. TIA.

Yes it can the - discount is on what I call ordinary fuel as well as the advanced fuels for both diesel & petrol.
My original post has a link that I assume allows you access even if you are not in the c&mh club.

regards

Arthur

OP
OP
Arthur01
Apr 30, 2010
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
Can you explain briefly what the fuelpecker is and how it operates please, as I have never heard of it before. TIA

We first saw the card offered through the C & Mh club as a member offer. It essentially offered a small discount on fuel purchased at either Esso or Shell in the UK & added AVIA in Europe.
I recently had an issue with the card & when they resolved it they gave me a ‘referral’ link which seemed to be open to anyone (see the first post by me).
Some say it’s not worth the effort as they can purchase elsewhere, but if we do call into Esso or Shell you get a bit of a discount which would perhaps buy you a coffee. The card does not cost so the only effort involved is to take the fuelpecker card out of your wallet instead of your debit card.
The card is linked to your bank account & it debits in the same way as your card but I think it’s 24hours later. The receipt you get from the petrol station will apparently show the normal price but you will see the lower price in your account.
Hope that helps

Arthur
This was the link they sent me:

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Yes it can the - discount is on what I call ordinary fuel as well as the advanced fuels for both diesel & petrol.
My original post has a link that I assume allows you access even if you are not in the c&mh club.

regards

Arthur
Ok thanks for that, I have just applied for a card and been accepted but I don't belong to the C&MC only the C&CC, reason I applied is cos I've got a Esso Tesco Express 1.5mile from me so think it could be useful.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Thank You DuxDeluxe for your comprehensive explanation of the difference and benefits of using Shell VPower/Excellium. I will show your reply to Madame to explain why I don't 'buy the cheaper diesel'!

Many Thanks

Robert
Very useful to know.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back