fuel valve secret switch modd (1 Viewer)

more fun

Banned
May 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
compass drifter 410
Exp
nice little modd this ,,for about 20 quid and very effective ,, u will need a 12v fuel solenoid valve and a simple switch u can hide .install the fuel valve somewhere remote , some have a manuel overide on the side when activated it will stop fuel flow .wire it to a switch somewhere hidden .it would take ages to find if at all .so engine will start maybe do 50 yds and stop .all it does is simulate a blockage in fuel system something that happens day in and day out.

OP
OP
M

more fun

Banned
May 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
compass drifter 410
Exp
M

My thoughts in fact it's one of the jobs I have planned for the van. KISS
mmmn might depend on the pump u have ,,on olderstuff all it had was a live wire to pump which could easily be overcome just a single wire from the battery to pump ,on newer stuff it gets far more involved multiple wires to pump .computer controlled ecu issues etc ,which is why i favoured the fuel solenoid

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forgive me as the 'engine' knowledge isn't great but aren't you supposed NEVER to run a diesel engine dry otherwise you have a lot of work to do to 'prime' it and get the fuel back through to use it again? o_O

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Forgive me as the 'engine' knowledge isn't great but aren't you supposed NEVER to run a diesel engine dry otherwise you have a lot of work to do to 'prime' it and get the fuel back through to use it again? o_O
When you put in the key and click it to the first position, you can hear the pump run for a second. If the fuel lines are empty, just clicking off and back to the first click a few times is enough to re-prime it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

more fun

Banned
May 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
compass drifter 410
Exp
ah its not the same thing running dry means urve no fuel in system at all ,,thus the need to prime it back upto pump ,with solenoid its like a tempoary blockage if u also fot a vac guage on your fuel lines u can see the suction created , its a good idea to have one anyway as u can see if and when u need to change filter , a vac guage i mean

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ah, thanks guys, its good to have such knowledgeable people on here ... I love learning new stuff! (y)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
nice little modd this ,,for about 20 quid and very effective ,, u will need a 12v fuel solenoid valve and a simple switch u can hide .install the fuel valve somewhere remote , some have a manuel overide on the side when activated it will stop fuel flow .wire it to a switch somewhere hidden .it would take ages to find if at all .so engine will start maybe do 50 yds and stop .all it does is simulate a blockage in fuel system something that happens day in and day out.

Do you then have to bleed the system?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Ah, thanks guys, its good to have such knowledgeable people on here ... I love learning new stuff! (y)
Once electronics snuck into Diesel engines most of the old knowledge about injector pumps and their wayward habits became irrelevant. Modern Diesel engines use a very high pressure pump to pressurise a 'common' rail (pipe) that links all the injectors. Once this pipe is up to pressure a regulator allows excess fuel (and any air that has got into the system for whatever reason) to return to the tank. The engine ECU then decides in what order and for how long each injector is open to allow fuel into the engine. The injectors are opened electrically.

Earlier 'injector pump' systems used an engine driven pump to pressurise each injector individually. The injector opened simply as a result of pump pressure. The pump was a precision device that had to deliver a precise amount of fuel, at the correct time, to each injector in turn. The injector is basically a precision valve and electronics aren't involved. The pump and injector lines could not easily cope with even very small amounts of air in the system although the last of the breed were configured to mitigate the problem and could usually be started without bleeding the air out.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
:hi2:hellowelcome Security is very inexpensive when compared to the pain & heartache of having your pride & joy stolen.
Well done.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
To disable my Ducato I simply removed the fuel cutoff crash sensor from the bulkhead.
As far as the fuel suppy was concerned I'd had a bad frontal crash and the fuel supply was cut off.
In basic terms its only an inertia switch.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
To disable my Ducato I simply removed the fuel cutoff crash sensor from the bulkhead.
As far as the fuel suppy was concerned I'd had a bad frontal crash and the fuel supply was cut off.
In basic terms its only an inertia switch.
The fuel cut off switch when operated turns on the hazard lights.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
mmmn might depend on the pump u have ,,on olderstuff all it had was a live wire to pump which could easily be overcome just a single wire from the battery to pump ,on newer stuff it gets far more involved multiple wires to pump .computer controlled ecu issues etc ,which is why i favoured the fuel solenoid
Best way is to interupt the supply to the fuel pump relay coil.

Aug 13, 2016
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2017
How do you identify the fuel crash sensor shut off? 2005 2.8 JTD Ducato

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Ducatos have an electronic lift pump by the tank to pump diesel to the high pressure pump
On the multijet's it turns on the hazards on , that is where I was going to connect a switch until I found that out.

And also unlocks the doors, so very useful as an anti-theft measure :D

But I've always understood that fitting any device which physically blocks the fuel line on a modern common rail diesel with fuel return system is not to be recommended, which is why the factory inertia switch electrically isolates the lift pump rather than attempting to block the fuel lines.

Edit: I haven't got access to the wiring diagrams at the moment, but when I looked into this a while back it seemed to me that fitting a switch in the earth return from the lift pump should isolate it without sending the trigger signal to the BCM that activates the door locks and hazard lights.

If you switch the "wrong" side of the inertia switch you will cause the safety features to trigger.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just make sure it doesn’t get stolen 45 yds from a very steep downhill section of road......

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Best way is to interupt the supply to the fuel pump relay coil.
That's the method I've used on previous occasions, fitting a switch to interrupt the -ve feed to the relay coil. This also allows for a much smaller switch, both physically and Ampage.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It is a simple job to put a switch inline with the fuel low pressure sensor on most common rail diesels if the fuel pressure sensor doesn't tell the ecu that pressure is up, to stop the hp pump destroying itself the engine wont start .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back