pij974

Free Member
Mar 17, 2008
Wellingborough, Northants
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Think the fuel pumps gone on genny. Starts and runs for about 2 mins then gradually cuts out. Also starts making loud clicking noise as if its running dry, but i had between quarter and a half of a tank of petrol. Can you get new pumps?
Thanks in advance

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Think the fuel pumps gone on genny. Starts and runs for about 2 mins then gradually cuts out. Also starts making loud clicking noise as if its running dry, but i had between quarter and a half of a tank of petrol. Can you get new pumps?
Thanks in advance
Need to know more about the genny!
Make?
Petrol/Diesel?
Electric/Manual starter?
Does it have a battery?
There are a few ways around it but i would try taking the fuel pipe off first and see if it pumps when you turn it over!

OP
OP
pij974

pij974

Free Member
Mar 17, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sorry, forgot about that:Doh: Its an Onan 4kva remote start, petrol, running off the leisure batteries I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
When the tank get on the low side it stops feeding the Genny and only supplies the engine.

This may be the answer.

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Cool!
I would go to any car parts shop and just buy a electronic fuel pump and wire it to the ignition!
I would check the fuel lines first though!
With your symptoms you could have dirt in the line that gets carried with the flow then blocks the supply and falls back when the engine stops! (giving you your two minits running time)
You could try putting a plastic in line filter on too!
My SU carbs on my mini were always blocking without a filter!

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just looked at one!
It hasan electric pump and a fuel shutoff solenoid too!
Your problem could be with the solenoid!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just a thought.

Are you sure your fuel guage is correct as most yanks starve the genny of fuel at quarter full.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just a thought.

Are you sure your fuel guage is correct as most yanks starve the genny of fuel at quarter full.

My Genny stops when my fuel guage shows just under half. Imagine that, I still have £230 worth of fuel when the genny stops so I won't run out:Eeek:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Yeah mines the same still gives you a range of 300 plus miles

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Sounds very much like a blocked filter or something in the tank being sucked up the pick up pipe then dropping back again.

If the pump is 'ticking' I would imagine that it is working!

Regards Pat

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yeah mines the same still gives you a range of 300 plus miles
Thats because the fuel stops are 300 miles apart in the US:ROFLMAO:
I would go with RRs suggestion first and re fule main tank before tackling the genny we have read many times on here the hours and £s wasted only to find that was the problem:thumb:
Geo
Ps classic fuel starvation symtoms

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
As others have said.

Before you go buying bits of kit, check that you are getting petrol to the genny.

There should be a primer switch on the genny, try this.

If that doesnt work disconnect the feed and check to see if the perol is coming through in volume.

In addition, the genny will not operate unless there is oil in it, check the oil level on the genny.

Make sure that you genny doesn't have a seperate fuel tank, some do.

If that doesnt work you need a new pump. Find the genny manual on the web, identify the part and start ringing around the american parts dealers. Somebody will have one.

Good Luck, Jim

OP
OP
pij974

pij974

Free Member
Mar 17, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Ok thanks for all your help and ideas:thumb: I will try the putting more fuel in it first, but that does seem strange that the fuel to the genny cuts off with that amount of fuel left in the tank:Eeek: I'm sure i've had less fuel in than that and it hasn't been a problem. I will keep you informed.
Thanks again everyone:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Ok thanks for all your help and ideas:thumb: I will try the putting more fuel in it first, but that does seem strange that the fuel to the genny cuts off with that amount of fuel left in the tank:Eeek: I'm sure i've had less fuel in than that and it hasn't been a problem. I will keep you informed.
Thanks again everyone:thumb:

You can drive along running your genny powering say roof air con, when getting lower on feul it decides it best to get you to a pump rather than run out.

My fuel gauge is miles out.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Genny Fuel

Hi

Mine`s a Diesel/LPG genny. BUT we had a hired R-V in the "states" a few year back and it stopped running with an INDICATED 1/3 tank left. Soooo I gues I concur with the majority. PS if the pump is "clicking" it usually means it`s Trying to produce fuel. (or it did on my old mini, and the Minor!!)

pete

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Is the air bleed hole in the filler cap blocked. If it is, as fuel level drops it will cause a vacuum in the tank, so causing the fuel to stop running. This simple fault has stopped many an engine. Worth checking.
Pudseykeith

OP
OP
pij974

pij974

Free Member
Mar 17, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Ok, had a chance yesterday to look at the genny. I started it up and it fired, then the usual after 5 minutes it started spluttering, then cut out. I then tokk the fuel pipe off fuel tank side of the pump and no, there was no fuel coming through so hopefully I just need to fill up! Thanks to all:Doh:

OP
OP
pij974

pij974

Free Member
Mar 17, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You can drive along running your genny powering say roof air con, when getting lower on feul it decides it best to get you to a pump rather than run out.

My fuel gauge is miles out.

Can you really do that? Run the genny whilst going along?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Gen Fuel P/p

Hi

Run the genny on the move? YUP ?? for a full 5 hrs back in January in France with a Kn******d Alternator!!! Full marks to West Mid American they had me back on the road within 3 working days. (once I found a OPEN site to sit on!!!)

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back