Fuel Prices: What price is your 'tipping' point ? (1 Viewer)

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
We all experienced a clear demonstration, a couple of years ago, of the risks associated with financing oneself up to the hilt. People who suffer because they have done so in the intervening years have only themselves to blame if they haven't factored in sufficient contingency.

Hi

We were about to finance ourselves to buy a new m/h just a couple of weeks ago, it was going to be a short term thing until we sold our house and could pay it off in full with the equity. We were just about at the end of the process when we sat down and discussed it again at length and got the wobbles on. We have got enough stress on really with the pressure of selling a house let alone having to find an extra payment for a loan every month, interest rates threatening to go up so mortgage would increase, storage fees to pay then the pressure to use it and who wants £xxx's sat iddle? We are going to wait and see what the house does.

The car is going though it is a Jeep Grand Cherokee and costs around £85ish to fill it up to the brim this is probably every 5-6 weeks though as I walk to school most days and like Jim when I go out I do loads of errands in the same day. I do love my car but if having it means we think about day trips in terms of how much fuel is going to cost then its got to go.

My food shopping is delivered it is free delivery if you pay on a credit card so saves time & money there.

Having said all that, I think it would take alot for us to be put off motorhoming for good due to fuel prices - well I do hope so, as for us ( x 5) the cost of a package holiday abroad would be far more expensive than a 2-3 week holiday in France using aires or wild camping.

I think it depends on your personal circumstances.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi

We were about to finance ourselves to buy a new m/h just a couple of weeks ago, it was going to be a short term thing until we sold our house and could pay it off in full with the equity. We were just about at the end of the process when we sat down and discussed it again at length and got the wobbles on. We have got enough stress on really with the pressure of selling a house let alone having to find an extra payment for a loan every month, interest rates threatening to go up so mortgage would increase, storage fees to pay then the pressure to use it and who wants £xxx's sat iddle? We are going to wait and see what the house does.

Very wise. Hope it all works out well.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
2 points and maybe I am going to look stupid.

1) if we all slow up buying fuel surely the supplier are going to feel the downturn? yes i know their all stinking rich but the more you have the more you want.

2) If we buy less fuel that's less money the greedy government gets so surely there must be a point where they encourage us to start motoring again?

These are MY views and no one elses.:Blush::Blush::Blush: so you can all laugh at my sillyness:Blush::Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I really don't understand why people are panicking about these fuel increases. When I first had a car petrol was 4 GALLONS for a £,if I had been told then that it would reach £6 per gallon I would have panicked,but nothing stays the same price for ever so whats the problem.
A pint of beer used to be less than 10 pence,the first house I bought was £250. Enjoy what you have whilst you have it and save the worrying for something that really matters.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
At my local Shell station, l was speaking with the owners son, and he states that since prices have gotten silly, (£1:37.9p) he has noticed a drop in sales, and last week alone he was 2,000 litres down than on the previous week. Makes you think, doesn't it?
Perhaps if it happens all over the UK something will have to happen.

Craig

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Perhaps a speed limit on Motorways might help, then i won,nt be slowest van on the insde lane :thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I really don't understand why people are panicking about these fuel increases. When I first had a car petrol was 4 GALLONS for a £,if I had been told then that it would reach £6 per gallon I would have panicked,but nothing stays the same price for ever so whats the problem.
A pint of beer used to be less than 10 pence,the first house I bought was £250. Enjoy what you have whilst you have it and save the worrying for something that really matters.

Much of what you say is true .. however...

I wouldn't call it panic, more concern and a worry that fuel prices are rising far faster than inflation, while wages are stagnant and pensions are fixed.
It will affect everyone whether motorhome owner or not.. everything will go up..
We can cut back on car use and buy less fuel, but many cannot..

To help, the Gov. could have fixed fuel tax rather than a percentage, every time the oil goes up they rake in more duty .. that hardly seems an equitable way to levy a tax..

But what do I know.. I'm not an economist .. and glad I'm not.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
At my local Shell station, l was speaking with the owners son, and he states that since prices have gotten silly, (£1:37.9p) he has noticed a drop in sales, and last week alone he was 2,000 litres down than on the previous week. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Craig

Could that be why the VAT element of the tax is a percentage rather than a fixed amount? So that the tax income stays steady(ish) when a price rise is accompanied by lower demand.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Everything is going up,up, up it seems to me.

interest rates have to be next which is good for some but scary for the many who have had a salary freeze for the last couple of years and face high inflation,rising fuel costs and then interest rate increases. I think a rise in interest rates will be the straw that breaks the camels back for many people because the lower mortgage payments helped to offset the other increases in the cost of living.i know inflation has to be reigned in but...

good times ahead for insolvency practioners in my opinion.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Everything is going up,up, up it seems to me.
interest rates have to be next which is good for some but scary for the many who have had a salary freeze for the last couple of years and face high inflation,rising fuel costs and then interest rate increases. I think a rise in interest rates will be the straw that breaks the camels back for many people because the lower mortgage payments helped to offset the other increases in the cost of living.i know inflation has to be reigned in but...
good times ahead for insolvency practioners in my opinion.

There are always winners and loser’s treacle, anyone with savings has been in the doldrums for some time and any increase in interest would be welcome. Many elderly relies on the income from their savings to exist.

david and ann

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years
Heard the money guy on Sky news say that the price per barrel has come down , lets see how long it takes for pump prices to drop- in our dreams i think !!
Whats happened to the fuel demos that used to happen in England. Maybe a bit like over here in Spain--- manana manana

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
buttons - I agree.

I am just glad I haven't got a huge mortgage.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
There are always winners and loser’s treacle, anyone with savings has been in the doldrums for some time and any increase in interest would be welcome. Many elderly relies on the income from their savings to exist.

I agree that many elderly have had to rely on the income from their savings but you need to temper that with the fact that for the last 15 years the elderly have lost out in one way and another and the savings in most cases have dwindled to a point where the return from them will not be of much use .. What is really needed is investment in the general business sector at the moment businesses are working on limited profits -- or worse. At the moment the banks are not even prepared to lend to those with substantial security and even then at stupidly high rates of interest compared with the bank rate - Increased interest rates IMHO will most likely cause further lack of investment in jobs - collapse of many businesses - mortgage arrears and repossesions - job losses and pay freezes and general hardship to the nations pensioners as income remains static and inflation rages.

A few years ago people would talk about disposable income - ie after all costs are accounted for - how many people can quote disposable income - its now what they can save on to pay for something else - I know old people who already have to decide between being warm and eating properly - who are not going to family functions because they cannot afford the fares - who can no longer afford to do the basic things in life because food, fuel , electricity ,gas, etc. have all risen out of all proportion to income. A few % extra on savings that have already been spend will not be of much use :Eeek:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV

Craig

l have just come past this same station, and would you believe it? It's down one penny per litre.

Craig

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Just noticed price of Oil has dropped $10 barrel over the past few days :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
There was a lot less traffic on the motorway on Sunday afternoon(M6, M1 and M25) than usual.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
There was a lot less traffic on the motorway on Sunday afternoon(M6, M1 and M25) than usual.
The Southend road was pretty clear to treacle. Have a look at the pier it could just tempt you back.:winky:

Attachments

• 000_0002-3.jpg
    000_0002-3.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 27

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Buttons - There are worst places than Southend. I was only teasing.

You should try Broadstairs though (out of season) it is quite pleasant.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I now make a point of sticking to 55mph on motorways with the van, it makes quite a difference. My recent 5 days away cost £86 in fuel for the van and about £20 for the Toad. Site fees were £32. Fuel cost would have not been much different if I'd stayed away for a month so perhaps its the short weekend trips I will cut back on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back