Fuel price increases (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
So you think its just 3p per litre what about everything you buy that gets the increase passed on???
Not sure how many tins of beans a large artic carries but say 50000 tins of beans between the Heinz factory and Asda at 3p every couple of miles aint going to make much difference to the price of a tin of beans. Besides that, the fuel price was recently far higher than 3p litre more than it is now. Did the fuel price reduction make any difference to a tin of beans then......Nah.:Eeek:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I was entering up on Ibank yesterday the expenditure.. love playing bank manager.... anyway Sue gave me her shopping receipts.. she uses Sainsbury's, Tesco and Asda... plus Iceland..

She buys the best deals from each.... I think:Blush:

Anyway there was a buy two with a 46p saving yesterday on blackcurrant jam.. now I love my blackcurrant jam... I just happened to look at the cost.... normally I just put the total in and look at the bank balance.. but I was amazed that it was £1.50 a jar.. last time I looked it was 79p a jar ... I hear Sue always moaning about the shopping costs..... we do not work to a budget... just what we need or want.... but when I do look on the computer and compare the shopping costs month on month boy have they gone up.

I have notice now that Abbey have upped there agreed overdraft from £7.50 a month to £20.00 a month... so it is a case now of making sure that funds are swung in tot he account to safe guard it... was not happy with £7.50 but £20.00 no way... even thinking of closing one account.

Bob
You have too much time on your hands Bob:Smile: but then so have I....what is Ibank.....?
Changing the subject totally, the fact that sue hands over her till receipts is proof that she is a very honest lady. I know many who would sooner meet their maker than hand over their till receipts. Reason being is that this is the only record of CASH BACK.......do I have to say more........:winky:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I do feel for the haulage companies. I can choose to use less fuel - they cant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
so...who else has had this message back from the MP then (only the central bit of the response - the rest was local constituent type stuff)

Thank you for your email regarding motoring costs. I understand the impact high world oil prices, and the high cost of fuel, is having on families across the country at a time when household budgets are being severely stretched.
It is very important to remember that the Government has listened to these genuine concerns and has already taken firm action back to help hard pressed motorists this year. Under the previous Government’s plans, fuel duty was due to rise twice this year. In his Autumn Statement, the Chancellor scrapped the second planned increase and delayed the first increase until August.
Despite the huge deficit we inherited and against a tough global economic background, the Government cut fuel duty by 1 pence per litre last year and announced the introduction of a new Fair Fuel Stabiliser that ensures North Sea oil companies contribute more at times of high oil prices.
This amounts to a £4.5 billion support package for motorists from 2011-2013. Thanks to these measures, fuel prices will be 10 pence per litre lower as of April 2012 and, the steps Ministers have taken means families will save £144 on filling up the average sized family car by the end of the year. In addition, the Chancellor increased Vehicle Excise Duty by inflation only in this year’s Budget.
I appreciate these significant reductions has not ended the pressure on families and businesses. The UK is spending over £120 million every day on debt interest payments alone and our priority must be to restore the nation’s finances. Tackling the debts we inherited from Labour will also keep interest rates lower, helping businesses and families with mortgages. Without dealing with this, there can be no sustainable economic growth

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So how many run there motor homes and claim the vat back? a lot of double standards.

OK it seems if you can get away with not paying the vat or claiming it back on the basis it is part of a business when the person knows he is doing no more than cheating the revenue.

I know of a few,[HI] I bet you do as well.[/HI] It is mugs like me that pay the full pump price which others get away with it.(snip)

I know of nobody who does that Bob. If you know of some then report them - after all they are simply thieving from you, me and everybody else.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Thank you for your email regarding motoring costs. I understand the impact high world oil prices, and the high cost of fuel, is having on families across the country at a time when household budgets are being severely stretched.
It is very important to remember that the Government has listened to these genuine concerns and has already taken firm action back to help hard pressed motorists this year. Under the previous Government’s plans, fuel duty was due to rise twice this year. In his Autumn Statement, the Chancellor scrapped the second planned increase and delayed the first increase until August.
Despite the huge deficit we inherited and against a tough global economic background, the Government cut fuel duty by 1 pence per litre last year and announced the introduction of a new Fair Fuel Stabiliser that ensures North Sea oil companies contribute more at times of high oil prices.
This amounts to a £4.5 billion support package for motorists from 2011-2013. Thanks to these measures, fuel prices will be 10 pence per litre lower as of April 2012 and, the steps Ministers have taken means families will save £144 on filling up the average sized family car by the end of the year. In addition, the Chancellor increased Vehicle Excise Duty by inflation only in this year’s Budget.
I appreciate these significant reductions has not ended the pressure on families and businesses. The UK is spending over £120 million every day on debt interest payments alone and our priority must be to restore the nation’s finances. Tackling the debts we inherited from Labour will also keep interest rates lower, helping businesses and families with mortgages. Without dealing with this, there can be no sustainable economic growth

Is this guy a cattle farmer because all I can see in this message is a pile of BUL****T

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
is the self appointed group as you are talking about because if it is then as for the government raising funds then let them scrap the appalling overseas budget to pay for some of the cash they so call need to raise also pull our troops from places where we have no business to be costing us massive amounts of cash and lives also we could fund god knows how many nhs hospitals if we just stopped all this leaking cash we give to the eu to fund the governments (labour and conservatives)mates in the European parliament all i would like is to stop the parasites in power raising their cash on the backs of the drivers who pay enough already my costs to my customers raises due to the amount of the price of diesel costs of which have risen from around £45 for my tank full to around £65 now and still rising
Fine, let's have the evidence please. How much would those cuts save and how far would they go towards remedying the shortfall (quite apart from funding extra hospitals &c)? BTW, I have always been against the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq.

As regards fuel price increases affecting hauliers and putting up the price of everything, that is no different from the price of wages, office costs &c. Any cost to any business either has to be absorbed or passed on. Singling out fuel increases is meaningless.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Just imagine (you will need a huge imagination) what would happen if everyone (everyone) refused to buy any (any) fuel for a month...

JJ :Cool:

A MONTH, don't think I could imagine that, a couple of days would be quite bad enough:Eeek:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just imagine (you will need a huge imagination) what would happen if everyone (everyone) refused to buy any (any) fuel for a month...

I would imagine that the Stratford on Avon motorhome show would be deserted. :Eeek:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
so all this talk on fuel rises and no one mentions the new cars that are exempt from paying road tax.

so if everyone changes their cars to a fiat 500 twin air for example then there would be millions lost in revenue because instead of paying £200 per year they pay nothing so where is that going to come from??
just like the lost income from smoking.

between the government and the green do-gooders were screwed.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
If you are approaching pensionable age Bob then the budget changes to your tax allowance will effect your pocket far more than the 3p litre fuel increase, so how about us starting a protest with a campaign for the reversal of these budget changes. I wont hold my breath for support from motorhomers though.:Smile:

Buttons, surely you're not advocating protesting against the actions of the blessed no alition?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
IBANK is a program like MS MONEY

You have too much time on your hands Bob:Smile: but then so have I....what is Ibank.....?
Changing the subject totally, the fact that sue hands over her till receipts is proof that she is a very honest lady. I know many who would sooner meet their maker than hand over their till receipts. Reason being is that this is the only record of CASH BACK.......do I have to say more........:winky:

Button's IBANK is a program much like MS MONEY used to be.. Microsoft stopped making it and when I went apple I had to look for a new program.. it is an American one, but caters for the UK market... OK once you get used to it.

We manage our various financials on it... I tend to reconcile with internet banking each day the home run accounts... I do not like keeping cash in banks.. under the mattress type... so I tend to move it about to make sure it is not picking up charges...

Hence the bit about Abbey authorised overdrafts which we have on a couple of accounts going up from £7.50 a month to £20.00 a month .. I hate to pay banks interest so I use Ibank to keep an eye on the situation... can only do that with all the receipts..

Suem, if she wants cash she just draws it out and enters it on the system... same with cash back... if she needs money she has it.. if she spends it I moan:winky: if I spend it she smiles:ROFLMAO: yea right:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
But you enjoyed it when you did go last year didn't you? ::bigsmile:

I certainly did Graham...

By the way... the gaffer tape you supplied to cover over the hole in the back door of the Wagon when we had to gemmy off the the rear door handle and lock is still in place and keeping most of the (slight bit of occasional) rain out of the van... :winky:

I will definitely get down to the scrappy (3 kms away) and get a replacement door handle one of these days... :thumb:

Was that at Stratford or Newbury?

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Fine, let's have the evidence please. How much would those cuts save and how far would they go towards remedying the shortfall (quite apart from funding extra hospitals &c)? BTW, I have always been against the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq.

As regards fuel price increases affecting hauliers and putting up the price of everything, that is no different from the price of wages, office costs &c. Any cost to any business either has to be absorbed or passed on. Singling out fuel increases is meaningless.
i dont know what the outlay is to the overseas handouts but whatever they are they should stop we as a country are skint so time we stopped handing over cash we dont have i also aint sure if it would reduce the tax in fuel if we did stop sending but whether it would or wouldnt its still time to stop screwing the motorist we seem to be paying for everything because im sure it dont go into the roads looking at the state of them and also a point we forget is that fuel is taxed twice fuel duty and vat and i think we pay vat on the duty so thats taxing a tax wow at least dick turpin wore a bloody mask when he robbed ya the main thing i do know is i have to pass the increase on to my customers and then it can make me more expensive and they can go elsewhere thats a good way to put people out of business and on the dole drawing more resources from the state purse we all know you have to have tax but let em tax someone else instead of the motorist who is a easy hit

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I certainly did Graham...

By the way... the gaffer tape you supplied to cover over the hole in the back door of the Wagon when we had to gemmy off the the rear door handle and lock is still in place and keeping most of the (slight bit of occasional) rain out of the van... :winky:

I will definitely get down to the scrappy (3 kms away) and get a replacement door handle one of these days... :thumb:

Was that at Stratford or Newbury?

:roflmto: That was Stratford ::bigsmile:
Best choose a day when you're feeling fit to tackle that 3km. Don't want to tire yourself out ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Let em tax somebody else? Who else?

The point is most of us are motorists; those who are not usually being unable to afford a vehicle (let alone two) so no point in trying to tax them.

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
soap box

i dont know what the outlay is to the overseas handouts but whatever they are they should stop we as a country are skint so time we stopped handing over cash we dont have i also aint sure if it would reduce the tax in fuel if we did stop sending but whether it would or wouldnt its still time to stop screwing the motorist we seem to be paying for everything because im sure it dont go into the roads looking at the state of them and also a point we forget is that fuel is taxed twice fuel duty and vat and i think we pay vat on the duty so thats taxing a tax wow at least dick turpin wore a bloody mask when he robbed ya the main thing i do know is i have to pass the increase on to my customers and then it can make me more expensive and they can go elsewhere thats a good way to put people out of business and on the dole drawing more resources from the state purse we all know you have to have tax but let em tax someone else instead of the motorist who is a easy hit
I have been banging on about the amount of money we send overseas via the Dept for Overseas Development (DFOD) For those who don't know it is nearly 8 BILLION !!!!!Milliions to India, Pakistan Nigeria look at their web site and you will be shocked. That money could be allocated to OUR nation for Policing NHS etc \My MP is fed up with me mailing him about it but I will continue to do so!!!

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i never knew the amount in overseas cash but thats a massive amount
and as for taxing who i dont know but not me if i had just the mh fair enough it would still be cheaper to holiday in than a hotel but i have a van to run for my business and the fuel is crippling me i have had to turn work down due to the fact i cant justify the price i would have to charge because of the fuel it will cost me to travel to do the work let me earn more i will spend more the country would still get my cash

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Let em tax somebody else? Who else?

The point is most of us are motorists; those who are not usually being unable to afford a vehicle (let alone two) so no point in trying to tax them.

Tax who, Graham?
Agricultural vehicles should be taxed for a start, as should "vintage" vehicles. They use the roads as well as others.
There are more than motorists, smokers and drinkers to tax.
Pet owners for instance, dog owners in particular.
There are thousands of the things shitting and slobbering all over the place.
If folk can afford to keep a dog, surely they can afford a small tax burden of say £200 per year per dog?
We hear folk bragging about how many hundreds of pounds they pay for these shit machines, how can they object to paying up?
Imagine the income to the exchequer.

Or

How about taxing any numpty who, two years down the line, blames the previous government for everyything.
(Second thoughts, not workable....some folk would have no conversation in them.)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Tax who, Graham?
Agricultural vehicles should be taxed for a start, as should "vintage" vehicles. They use the roads as well as others.
There are more than motorists, smokers and drinkers to tax.
Pet owners for instance, dog owners in particular.
There are thousands of the things shitting and slobbering all over the place.
If folk can afford to keep a dog, surely they can afford a small tax burden of say £200 per year per dog?
We hear folk bragging about how many hundreds of pounds they pay for these shit machines, how can they object to paying up?
Imagine the income to the exchequer.

Don't forget horses. I've never seen so many piles of horse dung as when we were in Blackpool last week - and not police horses or the ones pulling the carriages on the front either.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i never knew the amount in overseas cash but thats a massive amount
and as for taxing who[HI] i dont know but not me[/HI] if i had just the mh fair enough it would still be cheaper to holiday in than a hotel but i have a van to run for my business and the fuel is crippling me i have had to turn work down due to the fact i cant justify the price i would have to charge because of the fuel it will cost me to travel to do the work let me earn more i will spend more the country would still get my cash

We could all say that couldn't we. As for having a van to run for work, many people use a vehicle to travel to work and have no chance of reclaiming extra costs as they can't just bang on an automatic wage increase - and can't simply resign (equivalent of turning down the work).

There are no special cases. As I said, most of us these days run vehicles and if tax is not levied on road fuel it would have to be collected from most of us in some other way. It is our choice that we run a leisure vehicle as well as a daily vehicle and any one of us could save by deciding to sell the motorhome - but as we choose not to we must accept the costs.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons, surely you're not advocating protesting against the actions of the blessed no alition?
Unlike some John I'm not allied to any one party, it is us floating voters who decide the outcome of all elections. The rest are just a necessary expensive hindrance.
Just because I recognise that the Brown government followed by the present bench opposite are an abortion, doesn't mean that I have tunnel vision like some. So yes I am advocating a protest.:winky:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Unlike some John I'm not allied to any one party, it is us floating voters who decide the outcome of all elections. The rest are just a necessary expensive hindrance.
Just because I recognise that the Brown government followed by the present bench opposite are an abortion, doesn't mean that I have tunnel vision like some. So yes I am advocating a protest.:winky:

Cant argue with any of that.
Good on ya.
I too dont vote one way or the other "cos me dad did" either.
Vote for what I see as the best at the time.
Unfortunately there is no best at the moment.
Come the Revolution.......:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i too have no voting pattern i only vote so i can have a voice or i wouldn't due to the fact they are all a waste of space but as for the fuel dont forget the oil price dropped but the pump price didnt and the mh we bought so that as we slow our pace we could reap the benefits of years of hard graft and we can see that being eroded by the constant price rises in motoring and i mean all the rising not just fuel its time we all stood up and let the powers to be know we aint their personal piggy bank

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back