Fuel panic (1 Viewer)

May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
It’s started in Newbury. Two garages, Shell and BP have all diesel pumps shut but in the spirit of enjoyment have no notices out, just letting people queue to find out. No problem at chieveley services, just an extra 20p per litre

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As usual the panic is in the media and not in the actual fact. A 'few' stations are short but everyone panics and that makes the problem!
Makes you wonder why BP put out a press release. I suspect its to put pressure on too have temp work visas so they can sort out things to some degree.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Doesn't help when media outlets start doing this!!
1632492320142.png

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Isn't that a disgrace? 20p per litre extra

I know that Supermarkets sell lower to attract the business to their stores but 20p a litre more is taking the p!
Motorway services have always been much more expensive for fuel than your local supermarket.
They are only used by company car drivers using fuel cards that use a model that is attractive to companies.
Oh, probably also used by those that get on a motorway then realise they've no fuel in the tank :doh:

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Worcestershire and Birmingham both gridlocked due to queues for fuel at all stations

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Makes you wonder why BP put out a press release. I suspect its to put pressure on too have temp work visas so they can sort out things to some degree.
And it has worked! At least as far as the authority to try to attract foreign drivers is concerned. But if the driver shortages in Poland, Germany + 1 other [brain fade] are as severe as reported, where will the Foreign Drivers come from? Seen a report that approximately 25,000 Foreign Drivers left UK around Brexit date

Steve

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I need to go to Surrey tomorrow night and back on Sunday morning a total of about 100 miles, maybe slightly more.

I have just under a quarter of a tank in my car and my wife’s is between quarter and half full but is a gas guzzler.

Not sure what to do:unsure:

may have to take the train but that’s a bit of a hassle too at weekends.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I need to go to Surrey tomorrow night and back on Sunday morning a total of about 100 miles, maybe slightly more.

I have just under a quarter of a tank in my car and my wife’s is between quarter and half full but is a gas guzzler.

Not sure what to do:unsure:

may have to take the train but that’s a bit of a hassle too at weekends.
I believe that the original story that started all this was that delivery was being prioritised to motorway services because not all deliveries could be fulfilled due to driver shortages. If you are going anywhere on the motorway you should be ok.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I was a fuel depot supervisor , back in the 70's when fuel to petrol stations was rationing was introduced , they were only allowed to order 80% of there normal orders , stupid idea as all that did was to make them order more often , cost our company a lot of time and money , as going out with tankers 80% loaded instead of full tankers , and nobody in the major companies head office , monitored it . So it was left to the delivering depot staff to take the brunt of complaints from garages & the public.

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
It’ll be the usual culprits ,retired folk with time on their hands who’ll happily queue all day with their engine running to put 3 litres into their tank even though the fuel they’ve already got would last them six months because they only use the car to pick up the shopping once a week or to visit the doctor.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
And it has worked! At least as far as the authority to try to attract foreign drivers is concerned. But if the driver shortages in Poland, Germany + 1 other [brain fade] are as severe as reported, where will the Foreign Drivers come from? Seen a report that approximately 25,000 Foreign Drivers left UK around Brexit date

Steve
Just wondering, how many of these "Immigrants" hold a HGV licence ??

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It’ll be the usual culprits ,retired folk with time on their hands who’ll happily queue all day with their engine running to put 3 litres into their tank even though the fuel they’ve already got would last them six months because they only use the car to pick up the shopping once a week or to visit the doctor.
Oi!

That’s ageist, that is! ;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I spent almost an hour in the queue at Sainsbury to fill my car as I need to be at my parents' on Monday and didn't have enough to get me there. Just what I would normally do before the trip - fuel down to 1/4 so I filled the tank.

What annoyed me was the number of people filling fuel cans. The man in front of me filled his car (very little) and then filled two fuel cans - pay at pump. He than pulled to the next pump and filled a further 2 cans (also pay at pump) - he then tried to "go round again" by cutting into the queue but the attendant came out and asked him to leave.

My ghast was flabbered at his actions. We are such a small place that if he was a GP or other emergency worker people would have recognised him but he isn't - I do know who he is and that the fuel will be part of a hoard.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hotting up here in the Poole/Bournemouth area. Queues at all the usual stations.
More petrol pumps than diesel are closed off..... so far!
I found that either all pumps are out (Co-op Lilliput) or no diesel (Shell at the end of the Holes Bay Road). The queues for Shell on Bournemouth Road are causing chaos in the locality.

Tesco in Telford have no fuel and the service station at Shawbridge has a queue of at least 30 vehicles causing tailbacks.

We were going to Newton Abbot boat jumble tomorrow but we have decided the sensible option would be to give it a miss and conserve fuel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back