fuel economy - what’s yours like? (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
We’ve just done a trip from N.Wales to York and back including a few dozen miles pootling around to Scarborough and Dalby Forest.

Motorway is normally cruise control at 60-65mph.

Used almost a full tank.

Got 20mph out of her and about 23p/mile, with the Memsahib and 16yr old gene puddle plus a full load of bikes and kit on board. Plus MrsW had loaded the spare can opener and heavy bedsheets when I wasn’t looking...

It’s the standard Ducato 2.3TD 130bhp manual base.

How does this compare?

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
So here's a thought..... after 38000 miles in our last van (Globecar 2.3 130 manual Euro 5) and now 6000 miles so far in our Hymercar 2.3 130 manual Euro 6) I am wondering if the increased measures to reduce pollution are having an adverse effect on MPG?

On the Euro 5 we averaged just under 38 MPG over it's life and in the Euro 6 we have only managed 33 MPG average.

The best on the old one was 49 and on the new one 39

??
At 6000 miles that engine is still quite tight, normally improves after 25,000 I find.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
BTW Most 3L Hiaces do around 28-32 MPG even though they are compact.

I've read about plating a vehicle to above 3500kg and realise that it's a paper exercise, how does this affect the 3500kg driving license entitlement and what does it do to road tax and insurance?
Apologies for going a little off-topic here, hoping for a 2 line answer LOL.
Plated to over. 3.5ton no effect on licence as long as you’re under 70 years old and ppassed you’r test before January 1997, vehicle is then classed as private HGV for road tax purposes and road tax drops to £165, no effect on insurance as far as I am aware.

Upvote 0

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Re post 73, gwyntaxi has quoted Glas Robin. A thought has just entered my pea brained head:confused:. What size fuel tank is on your MH? on my Elddis 175, it is a large tank, can’t remember from top of my head at present. Around 120 litres ish. Large I know, and 20mpg is near Rolls Royce mpg around 18mpg they are. If that was my moho, I would have that looked into.

By the way, what is the mileage range in total for your tank, or to put it another way how many miles can you do between fill ups?
Hi, don’t know how I managed to quote glas robin post, must be something to do with my rubbish computer skills, 120litres-ish sounds like a helluva big tank 26gallons approximately most vans around 75-85litres unless opted for long range tank when ordering vehicle but you may well be right as you get a range of 670miles I get approximately 380 miles from a tank it is then reading around a quarter full so I use that as my fill up soon guide as I don’t like dragging any dregs that may be lurking in the bottom of the tank.

Upvote 0

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Standard Ducato fuel tank is 90L, a cheap Fiat only option is 120L tank.
Citroen/Peugeot are all 90L as the adblue causes the 120L option not to fit - or so I'm told.

120L is better than 90L IMO as you can always just fill it with 90L, but when France is on strike you can do it on one tank.

As for dregs the modern scourge is bio growth. Modern diesel is attractive to moisture and micro-organisms and in hot weather it will grow in your tank, blocking up the tank pickup, if the motorhome is barely used add a dosage of biocide to keep it fungus free, mosr marine places sell it. Don't over-dose it.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Some Autotrail and Swifts have the 60 litre factory option, only purpose is to keep MIRO down in the brochure
Very frustrating if only got one of these

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
8.1L Chevy Big Block pushing 10.5t will return 10mpg, if driven carefully and I'm not wearing my wonder boy racers hat. :gum: If said hat does come out, then I've seen the gauge on the dash read 0.9mpg. :rofl: :hot:

Upvote 0

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Some Autotrail and Swifts have the 60 litre factory option, only purpose is to keep MIRO down in the brochure
Very frustrating if only got one of these
If you have 60 litre tank then this might be of some interest apparently the 60 and 90 litre tanks are the same. https://www.camperlife.it/fai-da-te...di-carico-di-gasolio-su-ducato-x250-9589.html
If you open the link in chrome it will translate to English. I will be looking at mine soon as the Rollerteam only has a 60 litre tank, there is one thing the ecu is pre-programed for the 60 litre tank so the distance to empty will always be calculated for the 60 litre tank and the gauge will stay on full until the extra 30 litres is used, personaly I do not see that as a problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
If you have 60 litre tank then this might be of some interest apparently the 60 and 90 litre tanks are the same. https://www.camperlife.it/fai-da-te...di-carico-di-gasolio-su-ducato-x250-9589.html
If you open the link in chrome it will translate to English. I will be looking at mine soon as the Rollerteam only has a 60 litre tank, there is one thing the ecu is pre-programed for the 60 litre tank so the distance to empty will always be calculated for the 60 litre tank and the gauge will stay on full until the extra 30 litres is used, personaly I do not see that as a problem.

60 or 90 litre tank.:rofl:

With 65 gallon petrol tank, I had to stop worrying about all this stuff years ago. Pull into petrol station, fill up, pay cashier, try not to cry.:gum:

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
60 or 90 litre tank.:rofl:

With 65 gallon petrol tank, I had to stop worrying about all this stuff years ago. Pull into petrol station, fill up, pay cashier, try not to cry.:gum:
Know what you mean , mines about 380ltrs , but that does about 900miles , so by the time I need to refill I have forgotten about the pain last time :) Same as child birth I suppose ? :whew:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back