Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi currently doing some of the Wild Atlantic way
http://www.thewildatlanticway.com/
Going north , from Derry to South Cork
Around Sligo the average price of Diesel is £1.21 per ltr.
My question is does the price of diesel get more expensive or cheaper the further we travel southwards on the Wild Atlantic way.
Perhaps people reading this either have done it and remember ?
Or people that live near the route and can give a rough Guide to price per ltr.
Thanks

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
I`ll let you know next week, we`ll be going the opposite direction lol

In my experience though, there isn`t that much difference in price anyway. Have travelled extensively around Ireland on a bike, this`ll be the first time in a MH, not really worried about the price of fuel, I`ve got to have it and refuse to let it be a worry on holiday. Likewise I don't really care about the price of Guinness either!!!

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Its not really a geographical issue. Derry (Londonderry) is in the UK therefore UK duty and sterling. Obviously Cork is in ROI and Euro. In the past there used to be a healthy cross border trade but at the moment it looks like Ireland and the UK have about the same prices depending on FX rates http://autotraveler.ru/en/spravka/fuel-price-in-europe.html#.WCiuIeGLRE4

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We found it more or less the same all over the place.
We did find one place that was in the middle of absolutely no where somewhere right down south that was considerably cheaper than any of the big garages.. It was just a diesel pump more or less in someones front garden !

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I thought the same, haha. Did not know the Irish used any other colour

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Don't know about there but has been dropping like a brick here last two weeks. under a euro now.(y)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Saw diesel at £1.33 on Sunday in Lancashire.

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
We found it more or less the same all over the place.
We did find one place that was in the middle of absolutely no where somewhere right down south that was considerably cheaper than any of the big garages.. It was just a diesel pump more or less in someones front garden !

Be careful, there have been a lot of fuel stations in the Republic caught selling 'washed' diesel or adding kerosene (heating oil) to it.

Spud

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well what ever it was it worked just fine.. And nooo.. it was not green ! ( green is the irish version of our red )
Oh, and I ran the Miller on heating oil for ages.. Not in the UK I hasten to add but standard heating oil non the less
Absolutely no issues what so ever..
Half a tank of heating oil and half a tank of normal diesel..
Also ran my CC5 Citroen on chip oil .. just filtered it and poured it in.. Again, no issue at all

About the only diesel engine I would be wary of sticking weird stuff in is the new crap that is so poor it needs adblue to function..

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
Be careful, there have been a lot of fuel stations in the Republic caught selling 'washed' diesel or adding kerosene (heating oil) to it.

Spud

Not 'a lot' but there have be some.
It's probably unfair to them to make a general statement but independent (non brand) filling stations present the highest risk.
Those under international brand control (Topaz, Texaco, Esso) and local brand control (Maxol, Applegreen, Amber, Top, Campus & Inver) should be okay as their purchases and deliveries are closely monitored by their Head Office and Revenue and all are committed to the eradication of laundered or doctored fuel getting into the supply chain.

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
Just got back last night, generally speaking fuel is about 10% cheaper than here in the uk (exchange rate) and I found there is not that much variation in price varied between 116.9 and 119.9 euro per litre.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back