Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Kirkby mallory
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Hi folks, I have a 1997 Compass 360e based on the Boxer 2.5d, I wonder if anyone can give me an idea if my expierience with mpg and power is normal. Some facts, the engine has 70000 miles on her, she has been serviced very frequently has had cam belt fitted 2000 miles ago, to me(I am a mechanic) the engine and running gear are spot on, no brakes binding etc.
If I drive at 50 mph I can get 25 mpg, any faster than that and the engine seems stressed too high revs you know, doesnt feel comfortable. The 2.5 non turbo engine seems to run out of puff at the slightest of hills, which is embarrsing when traffic is behind you.What I am asking fellow 360 owners is does this sound like yours or not? I am not expecting sports car perfomance with 60mpg but I would expect to maybe drive at 55 60 and get better mpg.I dont even fill my water tank and have cut down on what we carry to decrease the weight.
Any ideas or am I expecting too much?

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Hi, Son in law has a fiat 2.5 and reckons on 30 mpg. Yours sound just like mine, A pug Boxer but a 1.9 rolls along great at 50/60. great when down hill, but show it a head on hill and it just gives up the ghost. never quite got down to 1 st gear but struggled in 2nd. got a load of hassle from local drivers coming back from spain over into france Average about 24.5- 25 mpg.
As the price og Diesel began to rise I started to run on veg oil, but thats as dear as deisel.:thumb:

Don

OP
OP
bonneville

bonneville

Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Kirkby mallory
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Thanks for the reply, My next port of call is to get the fuel pump and the injectors serviced and see if that helps. I suppose its a lot of weight to pull along plus you cant call a C class aerodynamic unless bricks are. Still enjoy every minute of our trips away but will try to make her more efficient.
Cheers:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
with any "Brick" shaped van the fuel consumption will rise exponentially at any speed over 50mph due to the wind resistance.

"For a solid object moving through a fluid, the drag is the component of the net aerodynamic or hydrodynamic force acting opposite to the direction of the movement. The component perpendicular to this direction is considered lift. Therefore drag opposes the motion of the object, and in a powered vehicle it is overcome by thrust."

more thrust = more fuel burnt. simple physics for those who want to see the maths involved
Link Removed)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back