LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Off the top of my head.....Obviously pricey, check on fuel price, availability, running costs and safety carrying it.

But infinitely better than a genny.

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
I bought one second hand when bought my motorhome 3 years ago. Mine in the older 1200 one. I wild camp 95% of the time. My first summer with it I thought it was a waste of time as I never used it as I was covered by solar panels and never needed it. Then came the winter months and I realised the benefits of it. Now I would not be without it.

When it is on it gives out a slight humming noise. I actually find this soothing when I go to sleep. I use a NASA BM2 battery monitor to check my power usage and I turn on the EFOY when my batteries get to about 60% on the monitor. This is usually late in the evening. When I wake up my batteries are always showing 95 - 100% full ( 2 x 100 ah batteries) The EFOY tops up the batteries, it is not like a generator that can run a microwave, it is a top up charge over night. You can leave it on Auto if you wish, but it will top up during the day when solar can also top up.

Cost for running it so far are minimal. I buy 2 x 10 litres of methanol at a cost of about £90 and this last me for about 18 months. But I never have to worry about running out of power.

When ever I get a new MH I will be taking this with me.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes we have one, but only for emergencies and primarily when it's in the shed and no power connected that way I know it's going to be charged when we want to go away, certainly expensive to run, batteries and solar are a better option, I see it as a get out of jail last resort power source.

Great peace of mind though and works well with good software to set up the various options of automatic power on/off, time delay for minimum battery volts so it doesn't come on just because the inverter is pulling the volts down for a couple of minutes.

Martin

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Genny!.:D2. Have to, as we need to charge a mobility scooter anyway. So when we are off grid, the genny has to go. I try and minimise use and run during non antisocial hours. So in that respect it would not work for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
If only I could afford it. We met two German vans that used it. They never stay on sites. And said it costs them about £100. Per year.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Nominal consumption / kWh 0.24 US gal / 0.9 l

W=VA so A=W/V so 1000/12.7 = 78.74 amps Methanol @£4.80 per litre = £4.32 so in conclusion a full charge (from 50%) on a 160 ah battery would cost just over £4.00.

Martin

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the info, I have never really worked it out. But if I worried about costs, I would never have bought a motorhome! I like the convenience to have the knowledge I can use it whenever I need it.

I have earned the money, so I am going to spend of much of it as I can before my kids get their hands on it. I promise to leave them a little bit!!

E = Enjoyment / C = Cost = Pricelsss (Squared) I think...

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Nominal consumption / kWh 0.24 US gal / 0.9 l

W=VA so A=W/V so 1000/12.7 = 78.74 amps Methanol @£4.80 per litre = £4.32 so in conclusion a full charge (from 50%) on a 160 ah battery would cost just over £4.00.

Martin

WOW!! You lost me at W=VA :LOL: having said that I’ve just enjoyed a Pint of San Miguel so I’ll look at the figures again tomorrow (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
WOW!! You lost me at W=VA :LOL: having said that I’ve just enjoyed a Pint of San Miguel so I’ll look at the figures again tomorrow (y)
Don't look too hard they might be wrong.

End of the day though if you are wild camping and two average batteries are about flat you could get then back to charged for around a fiver.

Martin

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I bought one second hand when bought my motorhome 3 years ago. Mine in the older 1200 one. I wild camp 95% of the time. My first summer with it I thought it was a waste of time as I never used it as I was covered by solar panels and never needed it. Then came the winter months and I realised the benefits of it. Now I would not be without it.

When it is on it gives out a slight humming noise. I actually find this soothing when I go to sleep. I use a NASA BM2 battery monitor to check my power usage and I turn on the EFOY when my batteries get to about 60% on the monitor. This is usually late in the evening. When I wake up my batteries are always showing 95 - 100% full ( 2 x 100 ah batteries) The EFOY tops up the batteries, it is not like a generator that can run a microwave, it is a top up charge over night. You can leave it on Auto if you wish, but it will top up during the day when solar can also top up.

Cost for running it so far are minimal. I buy 2 x 10 litres of methanol at a cost of about £90 and this last me for about 18 months. But I never have to worry about running out of power.

When ever I get a new MH I will be taking this with me.
Don't look too hard they might be wrong.

End of the day though if you are wild camping and two average batteries are about flat you could get then back to charged for around a fiver.

Martin

I’ve been considering having an EFOY system for a while now and from what I can tell, managed correctly the running cost need not be prohibitive and the confidence in knowing you are always going to have Batteries operating at a reliable charge level is really reassuring.
I am definitely going to get the system fitted when I return to the UK in the Spring.

Any recommendations on a supplier appreciated.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
We have an Efoy system, don't use it a great deal. When travelling we stay on Aires so the batteries are generally full when we park up for the night. When we arrive at our destination we stay on sites with hook up. We were fortunate enough to buy a van with it already fitted. For the way we use our Moho it is not a great asset but it is a good backup if we needed it.

If your wilding a lot get one for the peace of mind it will give you.

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
Mine was bought used on eBay and I paid £1000 for it. It was fitted by Vanbitz along with all my other accessories so it was an all in price. Had all my bits fitted by Vanbits and in 3 years I have only had 1 little problem. The LED on the alarm has blown. But they said they will fix it next time I am down that way.

A new EFOY is expensive, but IMHO I think it is worth it if you are going to wild camp and depending on your battery usage. I use my inverter and my batteries heavily, so I would pay full price for it if ever I needed it again. Not sure if Vanbitz can fit it from new, but I would give them a call if I wanted it doing again.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I’ve been considering having an EFOY system for a while now and from what I can tell, managed correctly the running cost need not be prohibitive and the confidence in knowing you are always going to have Batteries operating at a reliable charge level is really reassuring.
I am definitely going to get the system fitted when I return to the UK in the Spring.

Any recommendations on a supplier appreciated.
You are right it can have a place and should be managed sensibly, it doesn't replace solar which to me is the best addition ever.

EFOY is easy to fit if you are remotely DIY, it comes with very good instructions and is only a couple of wires, a small hole through the floor for the silicone exhaust drain tube as the only bye product of the combustion is a little water and heat, the water goes outside the heat can stay inside as long as the space it is fitted in is not too enclosed, the control panel is on its own plug and the fuel pickup just screws straight onto the top of the container.

I get my fuel from Fuel Cell Systems but bought the unit from a place at Pocklington near York thinking I would be able to pick it up but he ordered it straight from his supplier and got it delivered to us.

Martin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
There are a number of pre owned Efoys on EBay

This one is only £1,100
No dearer than a decent generator

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
You are right it can have a place and should be managed sensibly, it doesn't replace solar which to me is the best addition ever.

EFOY is easy to fit if you are remotely DIY, it comes with very good instructions and is only a couple of wires, a small hole through the floor for the silicone exhaust drain tube as the only bye product of the combustion is a little water and heat, the water goes outside the heat can stay inside as long as the space it is fitted in is not too enclosed, the control panel is on its own plug and the fuel pickup just screws straight onto the top of the container.

I get my fuel from Fuel Cell Systems but bought the unit from a place at Pocklington near York thinking I would be able to pick it up but he ordered it straight from his supplier and got it delivered to us.

Martin

Thanks for the info, I never realized the simplicity of the installation and I’ve now downloaded the installation guide. The Efoy will be sited within a 500mm of the Battery Compartment in the rear Garage with the exhaust going through the floor.

I have 340 watts of Solar,3x170 Batteries and a Votronic 430 MPPT Controller, I believe the EFoy140 will be suitable.

We do spend quite some time without EHU on a recent jaunt we went 6 weeks without a problem but in the main the Sun was out most days,however,we have at times moved on because of the need to top up and this is were the Efoy system will take away our concerns and interruptions.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for the info, I never realized the simplicity of the installation and I’ve now downloaded the installation guide. The Efoy will be sited within a 500mm of the Battery Compartment in the rear Garage with the exhaust going through the floor.

I have 340 watts of Solar,3x170 Batteries and a Votronic 430 MPPT Controller, I believe the EFoy140 will be suitable.

We do spend quite some time without EHU on a recent jaunt we went 6 weeks without a problem but in the main the Sun was out most days,however,we have at times moved on because of the need to top up and this is were the Efoy system will take away our concerns and interruptions.

EFOY 140 should be fine, don't site it too close to your head end of your bed as when its quiet you can just hear the pump. When you say exhaust through the floor I guess you mean the little tube for the water, the off heat tube should be fine in the garage and the cooling works OK as it usually a cool day when you need the EFOY.

Martin

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
EFOY 140 should be fine, don't site it too close to your head end of your bed as when its quiet you can just hear the pump. When you say exhaust through the floor I guess you mean the little tube for the water, the off heat tube should be fine in the garage and the cooling works OK as it usually a cool day when you need the EFOY.

Martin
Yes, thankfully the Compartment and space to site it is at the Tail end and the exhaust is as you say the water tube.

I think I’m a bit odd!! Now I’ve firmly decided to get an Efoy I’m really excited about it!
I just enjoy having devices that add to the overall facilities that the my MH offers.

I’ll let you know when when I’ve installed it. Thanks again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back