LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Agreed as @Littlewheels says the EFOY is just to top up your batteries as it puts out 12volts but only the same amperage as a single solar panel.

Martin

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I don't understand this concept of solar 'just topping up' the batteries????? We have just under 500 w of solar and can use batteries (through inverter) to power kettle, toaster etc etc. ----- the solar recharges the batteries, and is regulated so as not to over charge--------- so the solar does KEEP topped up, but also charges-------- ours often in excess of 20 amp.
On the other hand an Efoy will not charge at any where near that rate so it actually trickle charges over longer periods and will not keep up with running large draw items------- they are fine to maintain a battery but not if you USE power----- but work well running alongside solar---- best of both worlds IMHO -------- but I still maintain that for the purchase price and running costs they are not best value for money------- I suppose it depends if you consider it worth the cost for the convenience????
(We took ours out and sold it!!!!!)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
It doesn't matter where your power is coming from, it's just a question of are you putting in more power, in say a 24 hour period than you are taking out of your batteries.
At the moment here at the cite Europe Aire my batteries are slowly going down as its overcast, and the wife insisted on her electric blanket last night.:D As she will no doubt tonight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't understand this concept of solar 'just topping up' the batteries????? We have just under 500 w of solar and can use batteries (through inverter) to power kettle, toaster etc etc. ----- the solar recharges the batteries, and is regulated so as not to over charge--------- so the solar does KEEP topped up, but also charges-------- ours often in excess of 20 amp.
On the other hand an Efoy will not charge at any where near that rate so it actually trickle charges over longer periods and will not keep up with running large draw items------- they are fine to maintain a battery but not if you USE power----- but work well running alongside solar---- best of both worlds IMHO -------- but I still maintain that for the purchase price and running costs they are not best value for money------- I suppose it depends if you consider it worth the cost for the convenience????
"topping up" as in keeping full(y) our measly 320watts will keep us self sufficient for months on end.

Martin

OP
OP
Rob Su
Apr 5, 2019
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
I’m a newbie
Thanks all. (Electric blanket ).

500 w of solar sounds like plenty, so I may look at getting that - thx.

Currently at West Bay in Dorset with SYC...another motorhomer hooked long hose to tap and caused a bit of consternation...he tells me he went on a course and they were told not to drive with any water, whereas some funsters tell me they fill half?

Lovely spot, if you’ve never been - two minutes walk to centre - where Broadchurch was filmed. Thoroughly recommend it.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Currently at West Bay in Dorset with SYC...another motorhomer hooked long hose to tap and caused a bit of consternation...he tells me he went on a course and they were told not to drive with any water, whereas some funsters tell me they fill half?

If you have the payload and don't know where your next water source is then fill up------- if you are leaving one place to go immediately to another with a good water supply then there is no point in carrying 100 kilos of extra water------ you only really need enough to get you to your next stop!!
Lovely spot, if you’ve never been - two minutes walk to centre - where Broadchurch was filmed. Thoroughly recommend it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Always travel with full water, that's around 70 gallons. Depending where you park its not always possible to get water, or its a hassle to do so, as where we are now is just a carpark, no services. But that's just me, others think differently.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

I keep saying it , the Efoy keeps plodding on 24/7 if needed long after the Suns gone down and it doesn’t matter how much Solar you have you can only sleep with no Sun the Efoy like the old Gardner engine plodding on doing its job night and day at the same pace.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back