Frustrated of Sussex (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Ok - we bought our 2007 Bessacarr from SMC in Newark in August 2014. Its perfect for us but has an issue with condensation in the Pod area over the Cab which results in water dripping out through the Speaker in the Hab area. SMC have done their best to rectify having had it back on two occassions to put more insulation in and also to fill the "legs" of the pod with expanding foam. The issue still remains - when its cold water drips out the speaker.
SMC say they cant do any more.
I called Swift who wouldnt talk to me (data protection) but suggested I take it to a local Swift Dealer ( I am trying to find out if it had been back for the Mod to cure the problem as it was a "recall")
I rang the local dealer (Marquis) who said they need to talk to Swift, but after 2 weeks they are still trying to get an answer from Swift.
Can anyone suggest a way forward? I just want to a) find out if its had the Mod and its not worked or b) how do I get it put right if it hasnt been done.
I am aware of warranty issues etc but just want to be able to use the Motorhome all year without having to mop up water each morning.

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
It is the dealers responsibility to sort the problem under warranty and they will have to chase Swift to rectify the issue. If they fob you off say you will contact trading standards. The dealer should get Swift to take the mh back to their factory and sort the issue out.

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Thanks - SMC arent a Swift Dealer and I bought the Motorhome second hand from them and say they have done all they can. I will negotiate who pays for what once I have a solution - its getting the solution which is causing frustration.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I would explore why on Earth are Swift using data protection as an excuse not to talk to you. A fault on a van is not personal data and it would hardly compromise your personal data. Swift and SMC are businesses so data protection simply doesn't apply to them, or to their employees when they are acting in a professional capacity.

I agree with Rita, mention Trading Standards to them.

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Yup, agree with the Trading Standards route, at the mo, I'm thinking its under the 'not fit for purpose', heading............
You've done all you can do, by the sounds of it.........in a reasonable and polite manner, and are being fobbed off, (which shouldn't happen)

All the best in your fight for what should not be happening.

Andy

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Thanks Graham and Andy, I will take it back up with SMC tomorrow - I must say they have been helpful in trying to fix it but its a fair old trek up to Newark to not get it fixed. The Motorhome is our perfect fit at the moment so wouldnt want to be returning it as unfit - all I want is for someone to tell me if its had the mod and if not how do I go about getting it done. (Who pays for it is almost a secondary issue but I will resolve that once I know the facts)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Do you get condensation anywhere else? I ask because if ventilation is poor then moisture in the air will condense on the coldest surfaces. The runaround you are getting from the dealer and Swift sounds appalling but it is possible there is nothing wrong and you just need to ventilate the MH better.:)

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Do you get condensation anywhere else? I ask because if ventilation is poor then moisture in the air will condense on the coldest surfaces. The runaround you are getting from the dealer and Swift sounds appalling but it is possible there is nothing wrong and you just need to ventilate the MH better.:)

Thanks we have tried ventilating front end by leaving roof vent open a tad but makes no difference.

Reactions: DBK

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
have seen this before, after taking the speaker out could see condensation running down the pod up inside the pod, there was no insulation between the two skins, packed the area with fiberglass and the problem stopped

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We got a Kontiki 645 and had the same problem, took the speakers out and rammed a complete roll of wool insulation in, cured that and right on the front of the "pod" put some radiator silver backed foam, the full width and try to keep the window on the first catch for ventilation, or better still come south for the winter.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, its not the first time this has been mentioned, @Diabalo had the same problem with his bessacarr, and I seem to remember it went back to the factory.:eek:
There is a lot to be said about buying from a good dealer, and SMC did not do themselves any favours when we inquired about buying a new panel van from them. :rolleyes: Bob.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Contact Citizens advice and consumer direct. Can download a sales of goods act letter on line that you fill in relevant bits yourself. Stick it under dealers nose and watch them wriggle..they get away with murder in the UK

In fact European consumer law provides more protection after the first year although you still have up to 6 year on your side, but you have to provide evidence of the fault in the UK after one year, Europe two....and guess what we are still in Europe!:)

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions - I have managed to speak with Swift who have advised that the Mod hasnt been done and to take it to a local dealer for the work to be done. will let you know how it goes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back