Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Plenty of you know that I only feed Jazz our German Shepherd raw food. But it's not easy and some supplies are pretty disgusting. This last 18 months though I found a company in Scotland that are brilliant, they make complete raw meals that are the best I've seen. They are well presented in snap lid cartons and feeding is easy. You have a delivery dashboard and you control exactly what you get and when it is delivered.

Jazz thrives on it. She's 2½ now and she is always being complimented on her gorgeous black shiny coat, and she's not had a bath in her life. So why am I telling you? Well they are offering users like me credit if we recommend someone and offering those new customers 50% off their first box of 4kg . I do recommend it and if you would like to try it and get 50% off. Please use my code . z3f4ks You'll make me happy and your dog. :D . https://www.bellaandduke.com/ (y)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Perfectly willing to try a new supplier but only if competitive... but I can't find any prices... lots of fluff about how great their food is but no prices.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Perfectly willing to try a new supplier but only if competitive... but I can't find any prices... lots of fluff about how great their food is but no prices.

They work on a repeating basis, I have 20 kg every 20 days, but you'll get an exact cost here https://www.bellaandduke.com/feeding-calculator/ . mine works out at £3.33 a day

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

click on “get started“ then click through. You get a panel asking what type /weight of your dog and then you can choose from various options ( senior dog, fussy eater etc..) You’ll then get a price per day.

I’ve heard of the company before and read good things about them but my dogs are far too old (14) to change to a raw diet.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Works out to be over double what I buy for Kerry... and she seems to do well on it.

I'll admit that cost has not been a real consideration in finding the right food. I've paid a lot more and much less. But I do like this one which is why we've stuck to it for so long. Of course, as long as you trust the provenance and Kerry is doing well then that's great. (y)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've had a series of dogs for 40 years and am unaware whether/if there are specific reasons for feeding raw food. Does that include meat and fish?
They have nearly always been fed what I have (but no toxic to dogs foods) plus some dry biscuit. The current 9 yrs old Westie adores spag bol but definitely not the mushrooms which he leaves in an otherwise spotless empty bowl.
We do walk o'er hill 'n dale between 3 and 5 miles every day (he only has little legs) unless it's lashing with rain when he refuses (thank goodness), but no need for a low calorie diet.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've had dogs all my life too. Made a living with them for a number of years as well. There are arguments for and against, but to me it makes good sense for dogs to eat raw, they seem to thrive on it, poos as big as your thumb (that go white in three days) rather than the smelly mounds of grain and rice they don't digest.

Plenty think that a grain-based cereal product is the reason for so many cancers and allergies. Maybe that's true maybe not. There is plenty of science on both sides, most of that unread by me. I use it because it just makes sense to me that a natural diet has to be better than a high temperature baked manufactured one.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've thought about raw foods but have been put off by the practicality when we go away to France or Spain for a couple of months at a time. We only have a tiny freezer compartment in a small fridge. So our dog has a grain free dry food from Forthglade which he gulps down and the "end results" not unpleasant. :). It's not cheap though, for a 30Kg dog it would be about £2.50 a day.

I would certainly consider raw food if we didn't travel so much, it has to be the most natural food for dogs but it has to come from a reputable supplier to minimise disease and parasite risks. I'm sure Jim's supplier is a good one. :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Pepper has raw food and has done for most of her 4 years. I tried 3 times on the site to get a price. I put her age in , then her weight and the type of food she's currently on but their suggestions of amount of food is grossly exaggerated. It's suggesting 230g a day. Pepper is on less than half that and the vet considers her overweight. Perhaps a more user friendly site might be better, like how much for so many kilos rather than putting in all the details and then getting a silly figure

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We feed ours on Nutriment, not cheap but good quality and minimal turdidge. We did have the same problem as John, in that it takes up a lot of freezer room, that's what dictated the length of some of our holidays, crazy eh, putting the dogs first !
We'll have a look at the B&D site and maybe give it a try as we're feeding our son's Pointer on raw food from Durham Animal Feeds as it's cheaper for him than the Nutriment but catching a whiff can put you off your breakfast cereal !

Reactions: DBK

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Our dog has Harringtons dried and she seems fine on it. She's 10 but we frequently get asked if she's a puppy. It's £24.99 for 15kg and so handy to feed, especially when we're away in the motorhome.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I've thought about raw foods but have been put off by the practicality when we go away to France or Spain for a couple of months at a time. We only have a tiny freezer compartment in a small fridge. So our dog has a grain free dry food from Forthglade which he gulps down and the "end results" not unpleasant. :). It's not cheap though, for a 30Kg dog it would be about £2.50 a day.

I would certainly consider raw food if we didn't travel so much, it has to be the most natural food for dogs but it has to come from a reputable supplier to minimise disease and parasite risks. I'm sure Jim's supplier is a good one. :)
We currently use Nature's Menu and they do frozen AND sachets of non frozen

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

The forthglade stuff is pretty good. We used to use it as a tease for fussy foster dogs - it always worked. The problem is that Jake the idiot dog got used to it as well and was decidedly keen on it

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
I’ll give it a try. We home cook as I have one of the dogs who seems to want everything cooked !!
so we’ll see how we go with him.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've thought about raw foods but have been put off by the practicality when we go away to France or Spain for a couple of months at a time.

That is a problem, though I can get 21 kilos of frozen in our motorhome freezer and still have room for a couple of bags of ice and a pint of ice cream. In the UK I often find mince or chicken on its sell-by date and these are always snapped up for Jazz as its cheaper than the pet food. If you look on the website they are recently claiming they have a food that is raw but dry, it's expensive and I haven't tried it yet, but I might, it would certainly solve the problem of not having enough freezer space.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We used give our dogs frozen raw chicken wings first thing, when we put them in their run as we went to work, it was like giving kids sweets!.
Frozen raw Goat ribs was another thing they loved.
Both kept them happy when we were away at work for the day, never had a neighbour bitch that they barked all day like some.
Their run was 6mtrs x 6 mtrs. A kennel for each, built into the fence, with a lemon tree for shade.
Their main meal of a night was generally Tinned for a couple of days alternated with Raw Chicken Mince, with what ever, Rice, Pasta, they loved grated Carrot drizzled with the oil from a tin of Tuna. We made sure we gave them something different every day, it stopped them from being bored food wise.

Reactions: Jim
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Jazz loves frozen chicken wings, especially in the summer. She could demolish a whole fresh 2lb chicken in ten minutes at 6 months old
Surely that's not wings complete with the bone(s)? There's hardly any meat on the chicken wings I've seen.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Surely that's not wings complete with the bone(s)? There's hardly any meat on the chicken wings I've seen.

Yes Bones and all, the bones in a raw chicken are soft and therefore not a danger to the pooch, only when cooked do the Bones cause a big problem by splintering.

You must realise the Dog in its natural habitat is a scavenger rather than a hunter.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
One of ours has allergies to dairy and beef products, so we feed all 3 on a hypoallergenic chicken and rice based complete dry food. This is supplemented with carrots instead of dentastix for dental hygiene . They also get poultry based treats

All 3 are super healthy and complimented on by vets and our canine expert friends

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Jim - do you adjust the portion size they base their plan on ?
It seems to be almost double the portion size I give them cooked and I can’t seem to find a caloric value on the site (which is what I based their cooked meal sizes on)
I can’t imagine the half is water lost to cooking ??

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Surely that's not wings complete with the bone(s)

Yes with a German shepherd you can feed chicken wings from just 3 weeks. Their teeth go right through the bones as they are quite soft. . It is only cooked bones that are dangerous, raw bones are fine. You need to watch them at first, but they chew and chew and seem to know exactly the right time to swallow.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We tried Daisy on raw chicken wings after a stay at Jim`s.... Only for a couple of days though...

She would and could **** through the eye of a needle...

So went back to dry one day and "Wainwrights" meal for one the next...

Few days and she was back to her normal self... :whew:

But I soon got fed up with chicken wings day in and day out till the big Tesco`s 50 frozen wings had all been eaten... Fried... Roasted... Casseroled... :sicker:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim - do you adjust the portion size they base their plan on ?
It seems to be almost double the portion size I give them cooked and I can’t seem to find a caloric value on the site (which is what I based their cooked meal sizes on)
I can’t imagine the half is water lost to cooking ??

As far as I'm aware with raw food you feed 2-3% of the bodyweight a day. And if a pup, 2-3 % of their expected adult weight. Jazz is around 34kg and I feed her 1kg a day

• Thanks
Reactions: adt

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
As far as I'm aware with raw food you feed 2-3% of the bodyweight a day. And if a pup, 2-3 % of their expected adult weight. Jazz is around 34kg and I feed her 1kg a day
That sounds reasonable. Working on that calculation, I'd give Pepper approximately 0.15 kgs but the site said 0.23 which is 50% greater.

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
Our working cocker spaniel puppy (nearly 6 months old) has been fed on Natural Instincts raw food since being weaned. That was until two weeks ago when she started to flatly refuse to eat, apart from scavenging anything she could while out on walks (any crap lying around) and trying to pinch the cat's food.

We still have several kilo blocks of food in the freezer in the hope she will be happy to go back to it at some time. We tried tinned food for a few days which was Ok but she wasn't too enthusiastic, so in desperation this week I tried her on AVA dried food which she is demolishing as soon as it is put in front of her.

We would prefer it if she was still on raw food, but if she will not eat it, then there is not much we can do about it (we also tried Natures Menu raw food to no avail).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back