Free Member
Dec 23, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
It's that time of year again!

I once knew a guy (a retired Professor of Chemistry) who used a metal box (the square USA biscuit tin) with a 60W light bulb inside as a hot water bottle. No thermostat, no timer.
He died of old age and not from fire, smoke or electrocution!

Would it work as cost efficient motorhome frost protection device?

Health and safety.....what's that?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Surely the best frost protection is to drain it down completely.
Or use it... we use ours throughout the year and it's never drained down. When it does get parked up outside the house we leave an oil fire radiator in it.

OP
OP
J

joeo's

Free Member
Dec 23, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Yes, I think you are right, draining is the best way to be safe.
My effort was a poor effort at tongue in cheek as a first posting in the forum. True story though! Just an effort to say hello after joining!

On a more serious note, I've seen the following suggestion somewhere: Open the drain valves, blow up a balloon and then place the mouth of the balloon over the kitchen tap and release the air into the system to blow all the residual water from the pipes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Yes, I think you are right, draining is the best way to be safe.
My effort was a poor effort at tongue in cheek as a first posting in the forum. True story though! Just an effort to say hello after joining!

On a more serious note, I've seen the following suggestion somewhere: Open the drain valves, blow up a balloon and then place the mouth of the balloon over the kitchen tap and release the air into the system to blow all the residual water from the pipes.

That is quite a good idea, far better than the comercially available solutions that put far too much back pressure in the system, which can force fittings apart.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
IMG_0598.JPG

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi and :hiya2: better hurry up and eat the horrible tin of Xmas biscuits someone gave me for Xmas then will give that a try :drinks:

Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi and hello we are away for Xmas but will drain down and allso empty van of all cushions and bedding .will be out with van in March flight to BENIDORM FOR ALL JANUARY

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
better hurry up and eat the horrible tin of Xmas biscuits someone gave me for Xmas
You could always give them to someone else as as gift. Not that I would do that:rolleyes:

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
When it does get parked up outside the house we leave an oil fire radiator in it.

Do you power the Radiatior from the vans mains with EHU connected or do you feed an extension cord into the van from the garage?

I currently have my Truma on EHU at the garage set to 12deg to just keep it from freezing. Taps are open and tanks drained as well.

Thinking an oil rad will be less work (no work) for the vans system.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Would have done but opened them,found they were mostly wafers,yuk.
Still suppose I could put some back in and tape it up :xrofl:
You're probably the 5th recipient of the unwanted gift. Check the use by date:xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
But back to the OP!

It's the same as using a low-wattage heater, although not as powerful and I would guess less effective. Not sure I'd want it anywhere near anything flammable - even 60w bulbs get hot!

Personally, I do not favour any form of heating, IMO I think it encourages condensation. Take out anything that might retain damp and keep the van ventilated - has worked for us in 7 years.

OP
OP
J

joeo's

Free Member
Dec 23, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Thanks Everyone for your thoughts on the tin box and especially for the Welcomes to the forum.

Personally, I use a dehumidifier in the motorhome, set on a timer to operate for about four hours just after dark when condensation seems most likely to occur. I guess it is because any sunshine or warmth that may occur during daylight hours may cause a temperature differential from outside to inside, the inside being colder.

I also have a 400W tubular heater (from Argos) fitted to a thermostat set at about +6C, just to stop the inside getting too cold.
From my school science, I think I recall that warmer air can hold more moisture than cold air, so perhaps there's some value in not allowing to get to get very cold.

I don't take out the cushions but stand them upright to let the air circulate around them.
So far so good!

Merry Christmas and happy camping in 2017 to all :xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back