front wheel drive - poor traction (1 Viewer)

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I have a Hymer Exsis which of course has front wheel drive. I notice that steep hills with wet roads very easily get my wheels spinning. Would fatter tyres help, lower pressures or more high quality tyres.

I have a journey to make in Austria in Winter and the prospect of slipping and sliding at the slightest incline is a worry.

All tips appreciated.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Not familiar with your vehicle and just a thought, but it maybe worth investigating your axle loading as is sounds like you may have more over the rear axle, rear over hang.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Agree with above post,also I have an idea that snow chains are compulsery in Austria in winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have a Hymer Exsis which of course has front wheel drive. .

You are in One Big Club. These FWD MHs are a waste of space traction wise.

Which does not help you one bit unless it helps to know that they are all the same. Corners and roundabouts, even worse because one front wheel is hardly on the ground. I can get wheelspin in 3rd on a wet corner.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
We have a motorbike on the back of our Kontiki and despite Mrs D tellling me to go on a diet (I am a fat barsteward) I have to keep drinking Stella and eating pies to keep the front end down. Its a bugger but there you go.

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
I have a Hymer Exsis which of course has front wheel drive. I notice that steep hills with wet roads very easily get my wheels spinning. Would fatter tyres help, lower pressures or more high quality tyres.

I have a journey to make in Austria in Winter and the prospect of slipping and sliding at the slightest incline is a worry.

All tips appreciated.
have you consider fitting winter tyres, the difference in grip in snow and ice is greatly improved. Think is compulsory in winter in Austria, well, for the locals anyway.

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
thanks for the advice guys with regard to their being too much weight behind the rear axle. I think the only thing I can do about that is to make sure the water tank is empty.

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi all
We found that changing tyres made a huge difference to traction. :thumb:
We dumped our michelins due to their age and have gone with Hankooks.
Far less wheelspin and we can see they're wearing, the michelins still had most of their tread depth when we got rid.

cheers...nige

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
To answer the original question, wider tyres would help in the dry but not in the wet unless they are cut specifically for wet conditions

Very odd bit of info.
The ideal width of tyre on the average road vehicle is 50mm :Eeek:
Wider than that and they are prone to aquaplane..

That is why a good many of the tyres around nowadays have deep grooves at about 50mm spacings ( lots of other grooves too, all designed to help shift water out from under the tyre as efficiently as possible )

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Jaws is completely correct - a wider tyre would give better grip in dry conditions as there is more tyre in contact with the road. In wet or muddy conditions, widers tyres will skate about and will not be able to either dig into mud to find a hard surface, or clear water away as efficiently as a narrow tyre meaning less grip.

Tyres have different compounds, there are hard tyres and soft. Though the soft will wear faster, they will give good grip. Harder tyres will be fine in the dry, but loose it in the wet, slippery conditions as they need to be much warmer. Hankooks are great for heavier vehicles as they need some weight on them, put them on a light car and they aren't much use at all. It is a matter of knowing the compounds, or asking your dealer. Good all round make is Maxxis, with good grip and durability - they are not often used on cars for some reason, but motorcyclists and off roaders have been using them for years almost religiously. They are also fairly cheap.

What you may need to consider, is compound or ballast. If you are towing, or carrying heavy weights on the rear - work out your loadings and consider a front ballast. This will add weight and use a little more fuel, but will compensate for rearward weight and give you a pleasent and safer drive.

These attach under your front end, usually through the bumper mounts. A U-Shaped plate with weight attached. It need not be a heavy weight, just enough to compensate for your average loading. You will notice these on recovery trucks (spec lift types) - peer under the front and and you will see!

Sep 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Ace Nouvelle
I have traction issues on my Ducato motorhome it's about weight distribution. Just have to be aware. I got a little stuck on a grass pitch one morning and couldn't go up the slope, I managed to manoeuvre the van to enable me to back out. Traction was much better. I'm now careful if I'm offered a grass pitch to make sure it's firm. Was a little worried coming out of Tobermory recently very steep road and wet but manged to get up without slipping. I put everything loose and heavy forward in the van. The water tank on my van is forward just behind the cab seats. I'm not planning to travel in snow unless I had chains on board.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Winter tyres. I’ve written many replies and posts on here.

Our first 3 motorhomes were RWD. Never an issue.

Our current fiat is FWD, like all our others, fitted with winter tyres.

We have never had an issue with our FWD FIAT’s traction. But the engine, gearbox, gas cylinders, diesel tank, fresh water tank and Two passengers are over the front.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Recently replaced Conti tyres with Yokohama 3 season it is like night and day. Much better traction on grass, quieter and better fuel economy.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back