Front screen covers (internal) (1 Viewer)

66j0n0

Free Member
Nov 12, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
Merc 316 Estro 7
Exp
Just started.
Hi guys.

Can anyone recommend a brand/seller for those silver front screen covers. I'm looking at the internal ones not external. They are to fit my 2004 Merc Sprinter based MH.

Have done some looking about on line, eBay etc, but thought would ask here for a point in the right direction for good quality ones.

Any advice?

Jon.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I have no personal experience of internal screen covers but I would have thought they were much of a muchness really. All the people I have seen removing internal screens in the winter seem to have a lot of condensation on their windows. In truth if its that you want to stop you need external ones.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi guys.

Can anyone recommend a brand/seller for those silver front screen covers. I'm looking at the internal ones not external. They are to fit my 2004 Merc Sprinter based MH.

Have done some looking about on line, eBay etc, but thought would ask here for a point in the right direction for good quality ones.

Any advice?

Jon.

Might be worth a call to @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes (trade members on here)?
Personally, we use external screens as suggested by trophychap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
66j0n0

66j0n0

Free Member
Nov 12, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
Merc 316 Estro 7
Exp
Just started.
Thanks for the replies.
My thoughts regarding the internal covers is with the intention of wild camping in Europe. I have no internal blinds in the cab area & have read hints on here and other places about making sure your facing the exits etc with no need to go outside the MH in case one needs to move on rather pronto.

I will checkout the John Cross link.

Many thanks.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Obtain Sheet of Bubble Wrap cut to size of windscreen.
Obtain Silver 'Survival' mirrored sheeting, (like you see marathon runners given at the end of the run,) 2 in a pack at Poundland, (Guess the price):xdoh:
Spray bubble wrap with spray glue, With an able assistant, place mirror sheet on bubble wrap. Turn bubble wrap over, repeat. Bind edges of article with Duct tape to secure edges., .
Get pack of suckers, with hooks from same Pound Shop, (these may be the same price as Sheet)??? Puncture bubble wrap in strategic places,marked with piece of duct tape placed on either side of sheet. and attach suckers to windscreen. Hang sheet to suckers.

Upvote 0

Localdave

Free Member
Dec 6, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
Compass Suntor 400RL
Exp
Since 2016
Love it. May well try that at some stage

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Obtain Silver 'Survival' mirrored sheeting, (like you see marathon runners given at the end of the run,) 2 in a pack at Poundland, (Guess the price):xdoh:
Spray bubble wrap with spray glue, With an able assistant, place mirror sheet on bubble wrap. Turn bubble wrap over, repeat. Bind edges of article with Duct tape to secure edges., .
Get pack of suckers, with hooks from same Pound Shop, (these may be the same price as Sheet)??? Puncture bubble wrap in strategic places,marked with piece of duct tape placed on either side of sheet. and attach suckers to windscreen. Hang sheet to suckers.

How much was that again.......;)

:)

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Did it work!!!?

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Buy the best quality you can, our first ones were thin and rubbish, the second set were more expensive and worked well, but budget to buy a Karcher Window vac to remove all the condensation when you take the screens off in winter.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
For those of you with external screens, how difficult are they to fit from a persons height and stretch point of view. These A class vans look very high, so how do you do it? We have debated buying these, but am worried I won't physically be able to fit them.

Upvote 0
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
We use inside ones and find them v good. We got these as we didnt know what we would do storage-wise with wet outside screen covers. How do people store these while travelling to the next place? We use the shower area for storing washing etc so couldn't think where else.

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
I took the advice of some friends who recommended external silverscreen . I bought one for my Berlingo and I fitted it in about 3minutes and I'm a 5'2" woman on my own . They fitted like a glove and I got a roll up roll down Para-gon as I have a solar panel at the base of the front windscreen . I also purchased a fairly cheap internal screen and some lights that attach with magnets to the outside so I could see to fit the cover, brilliant. I got the siverscreen from www.silverscreens.co.uk

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
External screen covers are easy enough to fit as long as it isn't too windy and you don't need to be over 6" to reach them, but if think you will struggle to fit them, small fold up steps are useful
We had external screen covers on our Autosleeper, we stored them in their waterproof cover under the bed. As long as you can dry them out occasionally, they will be fine.

Upvote 0

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
Just wondering if you might not find it easier to put a thermal curtain between your cab and habitation area. It's an option we have used on a couple of vans. We use thermal and non-thermal external screens for longer stays or where an easy getaway is not needed.

Upvote 0

miloson

Free Member
Jan 22, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
As we went to the Manchester Caravan and Motorhome show on Sunday we had a look at the Internal Insulated Blinds . We bought a set at a cost of £30, are they better than the External i cannot say as we have never owned a Motorhome before . We did think if we bought the External Blinds where do we store them if wet .Its trial and error for us so will keep you posted what our findings are when we have used them.

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
I have an external Paragon Silverscreen and its brilliant, the company who sold it to me advised me to have a black bin bag I could bundle it into when wet and sort it out later on. I have a small van and I hang it in its bag on the back of my passenger seat.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Although Jon, the original poster, asked about internal screens, I thought I'd mention the idea of a lightweight, easy to fit, 'single layer' external cover. We've got a PVC, so somewhat limited for storage and I wanted something that would fold up reasonably small and easy to handle; but that would still improve the insulation of the front windows, reduced condensation, and also be useful as a sun blind when camped on the Med.

Well I've been pleasantly surprised by the one I bought from Motorhome Camper Covers (£58 delivered). We've tried it in anger in sub-zero weather and amazed at the difference it makes. In our case we had no condensation on the windscreen at all, and the van definitely felt warmer, especially in the cab area. It was quick to fit and best of all, when folded up it comfortably goes in the door pocket!

Link Removed

The website isn't the easiest to follow, but just enter the type of van in the drop-down box near the top of the page where it says 'Click in the box to find your manufacturer', and at the next page do the same again.
We were able to order one specifically for a Fiat Ducato X290, and it fits like a glove. In fact, it's better than the illustrated one because it neatly covers the air vents at the top of the bonnet.

Obviously, it doesn't have quite the insulation of a fully quilted one - which might be better if you ski regularly - but I reckon the single layer external screen is pretty handy.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back