From Spain to Norway - the long way round (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Wheel/brake/bearing combination holding up we decided to detour slightly to the north to cross the Asfluitsdijk which we'd last done 30 years ago to go to a wedding in Friesland! Unfortunately it was still misty when we crossed so the photos are poor. We'd picked a campsite and, when we eventually arrived there after about 10km of detours, we found they were hosting Oogst & Pompoenfair. We were waved into the parking and we eventually managed to get onto the campsite! We were given free tickets to enter the Autumn and Pumpkin Fair as consolation!

A quick browse around, all we fancied were some heavy wooden outdoor tables and chairs which were out of the equation, as impossible to transport, but seemed a good price for the quality, and we returned to the van to have lunch.

Staying here again tomorrow to cycle out to the coast of Bergen!!!

Tuesday down to Hoek de Holland and Wednesday Sutton on Sea!!!!!!????? Maybe!

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Another cycle by numbers route done again today but in grey weather. Fortunately it didn't spoil the ride as it was quite warm.

The route we chose went through forests to sand dunes, the North Sea, the town of Bergen and then alongside canals and lakes.

IMG_20170925_105337642.jpg
IMG_20170925_112937164_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170925_111012251.jpg
IMG_20170925_130920840_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170925_130309788.jpg

An ingenious sliding road!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks Gus...good idea...but we have made about 10 ferry crossings with 2 still to go, so its vital then.....I could examine the problem wheel but as we are nearing professional help I intend leaving it. It really isn't that big a problem since having new caliper and pads fitted in Norway.

Having had a rummage on the 'transit forum' I think you might be on the right track with handbrake cable sticking on at times. Especially if they are the originals. Lever return can be ruled out as you had that part replaced I believe ?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Having had a rummage on the 'transit forum' I think you might be on the right track with handbrake cable sticking on at times. Especially if they are the originals. Lever return can be ruled out as you had that part replaced I believe ?

Sure...thats a possibility Gus, will be having the van serviced when we get back to the UK, this trip has knocked up 15,000 km so a good look at everything is required before we return to Spain...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're now in the UK be so I feel I'll put this thread to bed.

It's been a trip of many parts and which has opened our eyes to the potential for future trips.

My expectations of Norway might have been a bit too high but most probably it was the weather we had for a large part of it that affected our feelings! It is a beautiful country and we're planning a return trip to the south of the country next summer.

We're in the UK until 10 October when we get the ferry to Bilbao and then back to Totana. So back the short way!

We're at Jasmin Camping for the Macmillan Coffee Morning organised by @Jenben and if we get a few decent photos I'll post them on here as my Swan Song

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It's been a great thread, will look forward to next year with you!
See you at the coffee morning tomorrow......virtually.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Very much enjoyed this tread Judith, especially Martins fishing exploits.
Was planning a return trip to Norway next summer but are now re considering after seeing how you suffered with the weather.
Hope you manage to get the van fixed without too much trouble, and if you find yourselves at a loose end you know where we live.
Hoping to pay you and Martin a visit after Christmas

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Thanks for a great thread Judith (y). Suitably inspired by Martins fishing exploits I now have a couple of rods and reels permanently in the van :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
enjoyed following you round 'literally' for some of it :) sorry we pinched your weather, although more accurately it seemed to clear as you moved on o_O we just got very lucky

safe travels back to Spain, we might just make that trip down there in the spring (y) need to buy a different bottle of gin though, yours has been drunk a few times over now :)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I have really enjoyed your thread Judith not only for the lovely pictures and great descriptions of where you have been but also for the revelation that Martin is now a fishing fanatic :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back