From Somerset to the Western Isles and back in 17 days (1 Viewer)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We feel like that too. Once we decide it's time to go home we wish that we could just call out "Beam us up, Scotty" and then we would be reversing on to our drive at home.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Delighted the deer turned out for you, we have only not seem the once, I blame my FIL :LOL: but it was almost certainly the midges, that is the benefit of snow on the ground (y)(y)

Looks like you parked on the tarmac parking at the top of the road? Next time park by the bridge about 1/2 mile earlier, there are goats round there as well

Any more luck with the eagles? We have seen a few up that valley

Love it, thanks for sharing your trip, although it makes me want to follow @Robert Clark up next week :)(y)

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Delighted the deer turned out for you, we have only not seem the once, I blame my FIL :LOL: but it was almost certainly the midges, that is the benefit of snow on the ground (y)(y)

Looks like you parked on the tarmac parking at the top of the road? Next time park by the bridge about 1/2 mile earlier, there are goats round there as well

Any more luck with the eagles? We have seen a few up that valley

Love it, thanks for sharing your trip, although it makes me want to follow @Robert Clark up next week :)(y)

We did park up in the parking bay further on, we did drive to the bridge but there was a Motorhome there and a couple of cars. On the plus side it worked out well for us, first a herd of deer came down in front of us and tracked over to the derelict barn and then a herd came down the mountain behind us and passed the van by less than 50 yards, it was a real treat mate. The goats were already there when we arrived at about 5 and we'd seen a few on the roadside as we travelled to Loch Ness, I guess the snow had made them come down. We can't thank you enough for the info regarding the whereabouts of it, it's a fantastic spot, certainly one to remember (y).
No more luck with the eagles unfortunately, we definitely saw one possibly two but neither were particularly close but it's a start :)
The fields opposite the entrance to the Grantown On Spey site are going to be developed for new houses apparently, a nice spot for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We feel like that too. Once we decide it's time to go home we wish that we could just call out "Beam us up, Scotty" and then we would be reversing on to our drive at home.

I was the same if we went away to the continent on an all inclusive holiday, I hated the waiting in airports, transfers etc to get home, at least now I'm driving

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
First leg of the journey home is now complete, we find ourselves in a site at Carlisle, it's wet and no sooner after i had crossed the border and got off the M74 to get to Carlisle I had my first bit of road rage with a white van man, with Kath telling me to 'just drive on, don't get involved', easier said than done but I behaved, it's great to be back.....not

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Is there a worse section of road than the M6!!
Today we travelled from Carlisle to Malvern and I can't say I enjoyed 2/3 of the journey, the roadworks are horrendous, and why do they need to mess up miles of motorway and restrict the speeds to 50 mph but only work on a very small section, why not restrict a mile stretch, finish that mile and then carry on, that must be too simple, and for what used to be known as one of the hardest manual jobs you could do now looks to be the cushiest, I reckon 90% of the Hi vis clad workers were chatting or sat in vans, and then we had 2 further stretches of speed restrictions where there was nothing happening at all! I feel sorry for the poor buggers heading north, it was even worse going that way.
So tonight we're on Malvern Hills CC, normally I don't mind CC sites but this one is huge, and it's very busy, it's a sea of white caravans and motorhomes, they advertise a dog walk on site, I don't think I've found it yet although we did do 2 laps of a tiny wooded area which had a sign saying 'don't forget to bring your ball', it must have been irony. Anyway as you can tell by my mental state work is closely approaching, tomorrow will see us arrive at home when ideally I'd still be on Harris or Skye :(, have a good weekend everybody.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
What a great thread Dave, lots of memories & reminders of what I'll be able to do once my van arrives! I've really enjoyed reading your adventure, many thanks for sharing (y) and I wish you many more happy travels :)

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
What a great thread Dave, lots of memories & reminders of what I'll be able to do once my van arrives! I've really enjoyed reading your adventure, many thanks for sharing (y) and I wish you many more happy travels :)

That's lovely of you to say that, I almost feel a bit self indulgent doing this thread :) but everybody should travel Scotland at least once, it's a fantastic place and the local people we've met along the way have been brilliant.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I reckon you are hooked Dave(y)

Planning the next trip already?

From where you are so much further south than us France / Scotland is a tougher call, enjoyed your travels, makes me very keen to get properly retired :)(y)

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Is there a worse section of road than the M6!!
Today we travelled from Carlisle to Malvern and I can't say I enjoyed 2/3 of the journey, the roadworks are horrendous, and why do they need to mess up miles of motorway and restrict the speeds to 50 mph but only work on a very small section, why not restrict a mile stretch, finish that mile and then carry on, that must be too simple, and for what used to be known as one of the hardest manual jobs you could do now looks to be the cushiest, I reckon 90% of the Hi vis clad workers were chatting or sat in vans, and then we had 2 further stretches of speed restrictions where there was nothing happening at all! I feel sorry for the poor buggers heading north, it was even worse going that way.
So tonight we're on Malvern Hills CC, normally I don't mind CC sites but this one is huge, and it's very busy, it's a sea of white caravans and motorhomes, they advertise a dog walk on site, I don't think I've found it yet although we did do 2 laps of a tiny wooded area which had a sign saying 'don't forget to bring your ball', it must have been irony. Anyway as you can tell by my mental state work is closely approaching, tomorrow will see us arrive at home when ideally I'd still be on Harris or Skye :(, have a good weekend everybody.
We had all that last year on our way home left moffatt 10-30 am got back to somerset 4am next day due to accident, roadworks , diversions, on m6 m5 night mare. Next time we will go north wales way stop off for the night then on less hassle ans stress.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I reckon you are hooked Dave(y)

Planning the next trip already?

From where you are so much further south than us France / Scotland is a tougher call, enjoyed your travels, makes me very keen to get properly retired :)(y)

I love it up there mate, that was our third trip and I would still go again :), we've not ventured to France yet even though we're ideally positioned, Kath worries about taking the dogs even though thousands do it. We're doing a week around South Wales in June as that's where Kath was born, other than that who knows at the mo, retirement does sound good, although I fear it won't happen for me for many years yet !

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We had all that last year on our way home left moffatt 10-30 am got back to somerset 4am next day due to accident, roadworks , diversions, on m6 m5 night mare. Next time we will go north wales way stop off for the night then on less hassle ans stress.

Good shout, I thought about going that way and wish I had in the end

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back